New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

Regardless of what the name turns out to be, it should not be any name that is already used. Buccaneers, Angels, Pilots, etc should all be thrown out. I like Pelicans but like the others I fear that the uniforms are going to be exactly identical to the Utah Jazz.

I would have been a fan of a name change if it would have happened back in 2002. But now not so much. Besides, I like the Bobcats color scheme and the Hornets name.

Nobody in the 4 major sports, or MLS, uses "Pilots".

Right. Why would "Pilots" be thrown out?

It was already used by Seattle. I think the whole Nationals and Texans recycling names from teams that don't have anything in common with them is absurd as well.. although I do like Nationals.

Buccaneers and Angels make sense....but just because Pilots was used by Seattle over 40 years ago isn't reason to throw that out. Hell, if that's the case then Pelicans is out of the question as well. It was used twice in New Orleans by 2 different minor league baseball franchises.

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of what the name turns out to be, it should not be any name that is already used. Buccaneers, Angels, Pilots, etc should all be thrown out. I like Pelicans but like the others I fear that the uniforms are going to be exactly identical to the Utah Jazz.

I would have been a fan of a name change if it would have happened back in 2002. But now not so much. Besides, I like the Bobcats color scheme and the Hornets name.

Nobody in the 4 major sports, or MLS, uses "Pilots".

Right. Why would "Pilots" be thrown out?

It was already used by Seattle. I think the whole Nationals and Texans recycling names from teams that don't have anything in common with them is absurd as well.. although I do like Nationals.

Buccaneers and Angels make sense....but just because Pilots was used by Seattle over 40 years ago isn't reason to throw that out. Hell, if that's the case then Pelicans is out of the question as well. It was used twice in New Orleans by 2 different minor league baseball franchises.

Buccaneers would be a great choice with the pirate (Jean Lafitte in particular)history that the city has. I'm afraid soon to be senile Benson will allow his wife to choose the name and something horrid will replace what is a decent name...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Utah(the beehive state)Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, and the Charlotte MJ's

Stop-Brand-Swap.png

Say, is this thing getting anymore traction? When would they have to file for a new nickname and logo? It seems too late to be for next season.

• 3 weeks later...
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

thank you... it drives me nuts when people say the hornets make sense in utah, because it's the beehive state...

but then again, "fleur de bee" drives me nuts too.

I like the Cornet idea...fitting to the region and its culture while being unique and separate from other pro sports names.

As for another idea, what about Dukes? It seems to have a somewhat French, imperial feel to it and could make good use of the fluer de lis (sp?) as some sort of logo.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Utah(the beehive state)Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, and the Charlotte MJ's

Stop-Brand-Swap.png

Say, is this thing getting anymore traction? When would they have to file for a new nickname and logo? It seems too late to be for next season.

From what I've read on it, Stern said Jazz are staying with Utah, if New Orleans wants to dump the Hornets name, they will have to come up with something else. In addition I've heard that NBA is willing to give the Hornets name back to Charlotte should MJ want it.

As for when they would have to file, I thought it was in the contract that the new owner (Name escapes me right now, Benson?) negotiated in the contract that he would be willing to keep the team in NOLA through 2024 if he was able to rebrand the team. I don't recall a date, but I think this might imply the traditional two-year rule for changing logos isn't in effect. I think if they were going to change it for the upcoming season, they better hurry up though. :)

As for when they would have to file, I thought it was in the contract that the new owner (Name escapes me right now, Benson?) negotiated in the contract that he would be willing to keep the team in NOLA through 2024 if he was able to rebrand the team. I don't recall a date, but I think this might imply the traditional two-year rule for changing logos isn't in effect. I think if they were going to change it for the upcoming season, they better hurry up though. :)

There is no "quid pro quo" contract item or reciprocity with the NBA in terms of Benson buying the team, keeping them in NOLA through 2024, and a name change. Benson is buying the team, signing a long-term lease with the state, PERIOD. (La. legislature just did their part; the approval of the NBA Board of Governors is now just a formality). He has also publicly (and repeatedly) expressed a desire to re-name the team to something more reflective of the area.

Once the team is formally in Benson's hands, you will probably see some movement towards this-- possibly fan involvement, polls, contests, etc. I have no doubt, however, that this will be happpening concurrently with the work of professional designers, marketing folks, etc. who will have more sway. A name change, if it happens at all, will probably not happen before the start of the 2013 season.

It is what it is.

Archived