New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

The Oilers didn't exactly get a heroes' welcome in Tennessee. They drew like 20,000 a game during the Memphis season because nobody wanted to keep the team warm for Nashville, so they prematurely bolted for Nashville and just kind of meandered there, too. The interregnum between the Houston Oilers and the relaunch as the Tennessee Titans, it's almost as if those seasons never happened.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers didn't exactly get a heroes' welcome in Tennessee. They drew like 20,000 a game during the Memphis season because nobody wanted to keep the team warm for Nashville, so they prematurely bolted for Nashville and just kind of meandered there, too. The interregnum between the Houston Oilers and the relaunch as the Tennessee Titans, it's almost as if those seasons never happened.

Two regular season games in Memphis in 1997 had an attendance just over 17,000. The move to Vanderbilt Stadium was actually beneficial, as the capacity was near 100% for all games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I understand the regional relevance & importance of the name Krewe, but no way is it a major league sports identity.

Heat? Magic? Thunder?

Believe me, living in the New Orleans Metro area, people will rally behind the New Orleans Krewe (or Krewe of New Orleans).

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I understand the regional relevance & importance of the name Krewe, but no way is it a major league sports identity.

Heat? Magic? Thunder?

Believe me, living in the New Orleans Metro area, people will rally behind the New Orleans Krewe (or Krewe of New Orleans).

Just because something is a major league identity doesn't mean it should be

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Heat? Magic? Thunder?

Plus, despite the spelling difference, it still sounds just as lame as the Columbus Crew.

Heat? Magic? Thunder?

Plus, despite the spelling difference, it still sounds just as lame as the Columbus Crew.

Well at least Columbus' team has a name...that's more than what Toronto and Dallas can say. :P

(The funny thing is one of those two used to have an actual nickname...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Heat? Magic? Thunder?

Well at least Columbus' team has a name...that's more than what Toronto and Dallas can say. :P

(The funny thing is one of those two used to have an actual nickname...)

The Dallas Burn, which is equally bad if, not worse of a name.

With the exception of "Breakers"...nah, they're really not.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And here come your New Orleans Big Easys!

And here come your New Orleans Fleur-de-lis!

And here come your New Orleans Pontchartains!

Yeah...no. Breakers is the only good one out of that bunch.

spacer.png

There are a lot of options ... Voodoo would have been perfect but the Arena team already claimed it.

Fleur-de-lis

Crescents

Big Easy

Blues

Breakers

Pontchartrain

Mardi Gras

Cajuns

Creole

This are all good names ...

Um, no. Off that list, Blues and Breakers are the only ones that don't make me cringe.

No I'm not saying really most of those Sound worth a crap. I was just trying to put a list of some names that could be full of culture and without a doubt scream New Orleans / NOLA because of how much history and heritage that area has to offer. But if I had a personal choice it would Blues or because the heritage would have and it would be a nice balance to Jazz. Not to mention Creole Blue, is one of the current Hornet colors & change Mardi Gras Gold, to Saints Gold.

And a 2nd option would be Sinners and go with inverted Saints colors With red ?

#DTWD #GoJaguars

How about we resurrect the old ABA "Buccaneers" moniker? And, I don't suppose "Streetcars" would work too well.

Although, I do like "Crescents" too.

And we can't use "Creoles", lest we offend someone...

And we can't use "Creoles", lest we offend someone...

I'm of Louisiana Creole ancestry. I'm not offended in the lest bit. UL-Lafayette are known as the Ragin' Cajuns. Also doesn't offend me. So looking at it from both sides, I have no qualms.

Though I still think Krewe would work. It doesn't matter what most people think of the name. Will the locals embrace the new name? Will it resignate with them? That's all that matters.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived