New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

What about the Dukes- in honour of Duke Ellington

Duke Ellington was from Washington and worked in New York. He doesn't really have anything to do with New Orleans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duke Ellington was from Washington and worked in New York. He doesn't really have anything to do with New Orleans.

Philippe d'Orléans - Duc d'Orléans (Duke of Orléans) - was the namesake of the City of New Orleans, so the "Dukes" name would be appropriate.

Among the others I think would be fitting...

Battle of New Orleans or New Orleans Battlers

New Orleans Brass

New Orleans Corsairs

New Orleans Krewe

New Orleans Pelicans

New Orleans Sound(s)

Philippe d'Orléans - Duc d'Orléans (Duke of Orléans) - was the namesake of the City of New Orleans, so the "Dukes" name would be appropriate.

Not if your logic is naming the team after a guy named Duke who had no relevance to the franchise at all. You'd need a guy named Duke from or has something to do with New Orleans.

Not if your logic is naming the team after a guy named Duke who had no relevance to the franchise at all. You'd need a guy named Duke from or has something to do with New Orleans.

My logic - as evidenced by the above portion of my post - holds that "Dukes" would be an appropriate name for a New Orleans-based professional sports franchise given that "Philippe d'Orléans - Duc d'Orléans (Duke of Orléans) - was the namesake of the City of New Orleans".

I'd say that having the city named after him pretty firmly established Philippe d'Orleans as a "guy" who "ha[d] something to do with New Orleans".

My logic - as evidenced by the above portion of my post - holds that "Dukes" would be an appropriate name for a New Orleans-based professional sports franchise given that "Philippe d'Orléans - Duc d'Orléans (Duke of Orléans) - was the namesake of the City of New Orleans".

I'd say that having the city named after him pretty firmly established Philippe d'Orleans as a "guy" who "ha[d] something to do with New Orleans".

ok

I thought about the Buccanners but I'm trying to avoid using another major sports team name since that is seldomly done any longer. And also the fact it would be abbr. Bucs like that team in Milwaukee. Now besides that Iike the name, Krewe , Brass is so so, but NOLA has far to much history for it not to be something regionalized.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I've always called them crayfish. We need a crayfish/crawfish/crawdad map like the soda/pop/coke one.

And still, Crawfish seems kind of minor-league whimsy. They're not really substantial creatures.

I've always called them crayfish. We need a crayfish/crawfish/crawdad map like the soda/pop/coke one.

And still, Crawfish seems kind of minor-league whimsy. They're not really substantial creatures.

I used to call them cold drinks. Now I call them soda. Where is this map anyway? I'd like to see it?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Crawfish is cool. What about Colonels? I know it was a common suggestion when the Hornets were looking at Louisville as a potential home back in 2000-2001. It obviously fits Kentucky perfectly, but I think any southern locale would work.

Not bad but idk think that's ideal for NOLA personally I think it's more something for Louisville, KY or Southern coastal state.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

And we can't use "Creoles", lest we offend someone...

Not really. The word "creole" is used to describe a fully functional language created from a mixture of other languages. Louisiana creole is one of many. All languages, from Arabic to Spanish have parented creole languages.

spacer.png

I'd suggest that the name "Dukes" would be more associated with the ultra-racist former KKK member and Louisiana state rep David Duke. In a city that's overwhelmingly African American, I think that would be a no-go.

I'd suggest that the name "Dukes" would be more associated with the ultra-racist former KKK member and Louisiana state rep David Duke. In a city that's overwhelmingly African American, I think that would be a no-go.

Valid point.

spacer.png

I'm proud to call it soda. (If you can be proud of such a thing.) After all, that's what the product is--just read most labels. But, how in the hell did St. Louis end up calling it that if the rest of the map is accurate?

St. Louis is an island of Midwest in a sea of South.

As I've said before, I could easily get behind a name like Brass... although nothing is better than New Orleans Jazz, which was about the coolest name in the history of pro sports.

pop-soda-coke-map.jpg

Gotta call BS on this one... calling it "pop" around here will usually mark you as someone from Illinois.

The other map is much more accurate, and yea, I too am intrigued at how Milwaukee and St. Louis became the only parts of the Midwest to say soda. Something to do with German heritage, perhaps?

Archived