New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF this name change thing goes through...hell, I say they go completely off the grid with it. Go in a direction no one (except me) would ever think of. A name unique not only among NBA teams, but among all major pro sports teams, period. Just the same way New Orleans is unique among all U.S. cities.

"Krewe de La Nouvelle-Orléans". Picture it.

(And can someone check my syntax on that, please? Mercí.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

IF this name change thing goes through...hell, I say they go completely off the grid with it. Go in a direction no one (except me) would ever think of. A name unique not only among NBA teams, but among all major pro sports teams, period. Just the same way New Orleans is unique among all U.S. cities.

"Krewe de La Nouvelle-Orléans". Picture it.

(And can someone check my syntax on that, please? Mercí.)

Very creative & original, I'd think that work.

baltimoreravens.png

If i had it my way, the Bobcats and Hornets would switch names, but Anaheim would buy New Orleans and become the Royals.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

If i had it my way, the Bobcats and Hornets would switch names, but Anaheim would buy New Orleans and become the Royals.

Why would Louisiana sell New Orleans to an LA suburb?

Well, Sacramento had a chance of moving there. if the league owns New Orleans, why not Anaheim as a place for a team??? it would make a great rivalry between the LA clubs.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

No one has mentioned two obvious names:

Revelers and Corsairs.

What are the people called who celebrate Mardi Gras? Revelers

Since Buccaneers has been used, as has Privateers, the next logic pirate themed name would be Corsairs..or Freebooters, or Rogues, or Brigands...

The colors would be, should be, purple, green, and gold, or any variation of them.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

"Krewe de La Nouvelle-Orléans".

If the team went the Krewe of New Orleans route, this would need to be an alternate mark.

I'd say they go the French way as the "on-paper" official name, but just go by the Anglo version in everyday correspondence.

And...of they do anything, whatever they do, can they (and many of y'all) PLEASE not do anything overly steteotypical? Most everyone seems to think the identity should scream something about Mardi Gras. I argue the exact opposite...yes that is what New Orleans is best known for, but a/ Mardi Gras didn't even originate in New Orleans (it was actually birthed in Mobile, AL, which itself was co-founded by the same guy who's credited with founding New Orleans?research your history, folks), and b/ there's SO MUCH more to New Orleans than what most see on the surface. Go down there sometime, outside the month of February, and outside the French Quarter while you're at it...might be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

No one has mentioned two obvious names:

Revelers and Corsairs.

Actually, I had suggested Corsairs.

I'd also thought about suggesting Brigands, though I ultimately decided not to.

I find your suggestion of Rogues quite intriguing. It works on any number of levels, given New Orleans' colorful history. I still think I'd pair it with a pirate theme.

I'd tend to agree. It's a fine name.

And Buc, I think we all knew that New Orleans is more than Mardi Gras. Just as Denver is more than a place near mountains and Boston is more than Irish people living near a bunch of dusty War of Colonial Agresssion sites.

But sometimes it's fun to play to a city's image when creating a team's identity. And it's not like those were the only choices offered (>cough, cough<.CRAWFISH!) ;)

I just can't see a bunch of grown men running around with the word "Crawfish" splashed across the fronts of their chests...or liking it. :P

(Completely off topic, but since you brought it up...wasn't until I went out there myself that I saw just how much of a farce damn near the whole east half of Colorado is. You know, after looking at 347 miles of nothingness while driving west through Kansas, you expect to see stuff once you get into Colorado. Ehhh--ehh---WRONG!! Hell, Denver itself is damn near as flat as the rest of east Colorado is. Wasn't expecting that.)

As long as we're brainstorming crazy ideas:

New Orleans Swamp Dragons (they could update the Nets' proposed rebrand)

New Orleans Swamp Monsters (named after a creature that used to be in a Louisiana swamp according to legend)

New Orleans Buzz (you get a buzz from booze and coffee, which is big in NOLA, and they could keep the fleur-de bee)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Okay, here is this local’s take.

As I mentioned in a similar thread, I'm a little iffy on the whole notion of re-branding for the reasons stated therein. However, if we were to rebrand, here are my rather lengthy thoughts and insight on some of the names being bandied about:

Crawfish: Gothamite’s offering; very local in appearance, but do we REALLY want to name a team after something we enjoy EATING? About the closest I can see in actual use is the Omaha Beef, which sounds lame, amd the Montgomery Biscuits, which is a joke.

Blues doesn’t work; any one with musical knwledge will tell you there's a world of difference between blues and Jazz. New Orleans isn’t known for blues; that's more rural south and transplanted up the Mississippi River corridor to Memphis, St. Louis and Chicago.

Dukes was actually considered back in 1966-67 for the NFL team, both for the reasons mentioned by Brian in Boston, but also as a nod to the Dukes of Dixieland jazz band? Had nothong to do with Duke Ellington, and as NatsFan noted, the David Duke association pretty much ruins any notion of using that moniker.

Krewe is discussed a lot on local boards; I think a posting member here has done some mock-ups on the local Hornets board. It has some potential, but also drawbacks. First of all, to those who may not know, a “Krewe” is a specific thing in this area, not just a funny spelling of “Crew”. It refers specifically to a Carnival organization, one that can hold a ball, a parade, or both. The majority of organizations use this term (Krewe of Bacchus, Krewe d’Etat, Krewe of Thoth, etc.) while very few use an alternate name (Knights of Babylon, Knights of Sparta, Corps de Napoleon, etc.). In order for it to work, it would HAVE to be in the reverse presentation form similar a Mardi Gras organization: “Krewe of New Orleans”. “New Orleans Krewe” would not work. In that sense the team would be like the much like the old ABA “Spirits of St. Louis”? Mardi Gras colors of purple green and gold would also be an almost given. There is a host of imagery that could be adopted into logos and artwork: crowns (for mardi gras kings), jesters/jester hats, beads, masks, fleur de lis, even brass instruments. Personally, though, I just don’t think it’s that great of an idea, and sounds a little too bush league. Plus, the truth of the matter is the team usually takes a pretty big road trip around carnival time anyway as they cannot compete with the event. While it’s cool for the Hornets to have special Mardi Gras unis that are worn around that time, it’d be silly to name the entire team after an event that in effect kicks you out of your home. (By the way, Buc, your syntax is parfait, but no one here speaks French anymore. Your idea of the "official" name being in French may work, but as you point out, not for everyday use. It'd work in Montreal, but not here. "Yat" dialect may be more appropriate, as in "Da Krewe a' Nu Awlins")

Sinners is just too silly to believe. A cute counterpoint to Saints? Come on, this is the big leagues we’re talking.

Creoles or Cajuns-- very different terms which some people use interchangeably, and neither of those would work. ULL already has the Cajuns, and for that matter New Orleans is NOT “Cajun”. Historically, it is more urban, refined; less rural. To tell the truth it is “Creole”. But the city, much less North America, has such a problem with defining Creole that it wouldn’t work (depending on what you are discussing, some say it’s it’s cultural, some say it’s racial, some say its lingual, and some say it’s a tomato. It’s not worth the trouble)

The whole pirate motif is very appropriate. Corsairs is not bad, as is the re-use of Buccaneers, but again, “Buccaneers” has come to be associated with Tampa Bay of the NFL, there is the Milwaukee Bucks/ New Orleans “Bucs” issue. “Corsairs” goes over way too many heads, both here and nationwide. As a local, I actually like the idea of Rogues myself: it fits the city not just with its pirate/privateer motif, but in a general sense, from gamblers to rum runners to rascally politicians. Has potential and hasn’t been used since Memphis in the NASL (who used the non-herd elephant definition and motif instead of the brigand, which was stupid for a TEAM concept anyway).

That whole Louisiana Purchase story keeps getting repeated, and I was here at the time that whole Timberwolves thing went down, and I never, NEVER heard of it back then as being considered as a name. I think it’s an invented story that was repeated so much people now think it was true.

Re: swamps, while we are surrounded by swamps and marsh (and water), we rarely use it as iconography. Swamp Monsters, Swamp Dragons, Bayou Beast, etc. are very bush-league. Possibly the best mascot team name to reference this would be Gators, but that has been so married to U of F that I think you won’t see any pro team ever use it, much like you’ll never see a pro Longhorns or Wolverines. Plus Lafayette already had the Louisiana Ice Gators in hockey?

My idea— IF they do a name change-- is SPIRITS. New Orleans is probably the country’s most haunted and “supernatural” cities. We are known for our above-ground cemeteries, there are haunted history tours in the French Quarter, voodoo and zombies, the whole Anne Rice vampires and witches and ghosts milieu, etc. Plus, “Spirits” has a double meaning; it can also refer to alcoholic beverages, the imbibing of which is also a New Orleans trademark or selling point. In imagery, I’d play up the ghost/spectre/cemetery aspect, maybe use “absinthe green” (a neon/lime green), “midnight black” and “moonlight silver” as colors.

It is what it is.

Archived