New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

With regards to the Pirate motif, how about New Orleans Picaroons?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Crawdads. I kinda like that name better than Crayfish, or Crawfish.

Dear god no. No one around New Orleans refers to them as Crawdads (or even crayfish for that matter). Either way, Crawfish doesn't work as an NBA name.

gYH2mW9.png

New Orleans Hornets is way better than any of the ideas I've seen on here..

I know it doesn't really FIT New Orleans but it rolls off the tongue in the way the others don't. Krewe is way too hyper-localized, since I've never even heard of that word until I saw it here on the forums. Spirits is too minor league, Crawfish is too lame.

The name I thought of is a little too much like Spirits but I think it would at least be a solid name: the New Orleans Shuffle. The only problem I have with it is that it's a name that is instantly going to make people think of traveling ("shuffled his feet") but it's got a nice ring to it.

The most intriguing ideas going on in this thread are actually the never-gonna-happen "name swap" ideas because here is what I would do (and I'm borrowing the ideas of others with my own modification):

The Brooklyn Nets trade their name to New Orleans: New Orleans Nets is a name that fits much better with a fishing community with the double meaning of basketball.

The Jazz trade their name to Brooklyn.

The Hornets trade their name back to Charlotte.

The Bobcats trade their name back to Utah.

the Montgomery Biscuits, which is a joke.

Biscuits is the best name in MiLB.

Agreed 100%

Plus the yellow hat with the biscuits logo is amazing. I have 2, as I've worn one right out so I bought a second.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Brooklyn Nets trade their name to New Orleans: New Orleans Nets is a name that fits much better with a fishing community with the double meaning of basketball.

No.

Move Memphis to Seattle and call them the SuperSonics

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

no Bobcats because that's a terrible name.

All of this "team x should trade names with team y" business is silly. We've covered it so many times before, but it would create so much confusion, as well as being historically dishonest.

The Hornets can rename themselves if they want (though I honestly haven't heard a better suggestion then Hornets in this thread), but sending that name to Charlotte would be a lie. The Bobcats are not the Hornets. Even if they did take on the identity it wouldn't change the fact that they're a poorly run expansion team from 2004, not the team that everyone's nostalgic about from the late 80s/early-mid 90s.

And the Jazz? They've been the Utah Jazz for 33 years. They were the New Orleans Jazz for a whopping five. The name Jazz, as it relates to NBA basketball, belongs in Salt Lake City.

No.

Move Memphis to Seattle and call them the SuperSonics

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

no Bobcats because that's a terrible name.

*slap*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All of this "team x should trade names with team y" business is silly. We've covered it so many times before, but it would create so much confusion, as well as being historically dishonest.

The Hornets can rename themselves if they want (though I honestly haven't heard a better suggestion then Hornets in this thread), but sending that name to Charlotte would be a lie. The Bobcats are not the Hornets. Even if they did take on the identity it wouldn't change the fact that they're a poorly run expansion team from 2004, not the team that everyone's nostalgic about from the late 80s/early-mid 90s.

And the Jazz? They've been the Utah Jazz for 33 years. They were the New Orleans Jazz for a whopping five. The name Jazz, as it relates to NBA basketball, belongs in Salt Lake City.

True :censored: is funny :censored: !!

#DTWD #GoJaguars

And of course Mormanism is well known for it's Jazz tradition... :P

tigercatssignature-1.png

Maybe they can team up with Popeye's. Louisiana Fast. ^_^

Seriously, though. This would be a great chance to see the first Gator in pro sports. They would have to get creative to have it roll off the tongue. New Orleans Gators does not work. The LSU crowd might have something to say about that, too. Another reason why you simply can't call them the Gators. But an Alligator logo sure would be cool.

Maybe if jazz involved massive choirs...

spacer.png

This should be posted in the "Read Before Posting" threads and enforced with threats of bans and suspensions.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This should be posted in the "Read Before Posting" threads and enforced with threats of bans and suspensions.

To be fair, if you make that a rule, half the discussions on these boards would disappear...I-got-an-idea----idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000274-facebook.gif...yeah, you should definitely do it.

BB52Big.jpg

I was thinking firing squad.

Kinda hard to do that through the internetz, no?

Or did you take the red pill??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The name doesn't make any sense when you think about it outside of the NBA, I admit. They've been the Utah Jazz for thirty three years though. They were only the New Orleans Jazz for five. There's been a lot of history built up with the Jazz name in Utah. Nonsensical or no, it belongs there. Should they have changed the name when they moved in 1979? Probably. They didn't though, so it is what it is.

Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music. The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA back to Oakland. No-one in LA seemed to notice.

The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, tell that to Neon Trees, The Used, David Archuleta, The Osmonds....

Gotta love Utah jokes and thier hilariously off-base exaggerations.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived