CDixonDesign

Breakdown of Seattle Seahawks New Uniforms

I am of the opinion that the NFL lost its best JERSEY in the blue Seattle jersey. Not its best overall look, as the mono ruined the overall look.

Still, I'll miss those colors...unique without being gaudy. Now they are obviously unique...

It's bad, very bad.

It looks like a bunch of ideas which seemed individually 'cool' all slapped together in the same uni set to truly terrible effect. A bit like the Marlins' did.

Also I hate that they seem to be trying to go down the route of the current college trend of haphazardly mixing and matching colors of the jerseys and pants.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

The word mark needs to be moved, otherwise I like the home and away enough. 6.5/10

The alt is pointless. I wish that they had a second set of socks to be worn with the blue pants. I don't mind monochrome jerseys and pants, but I hate socks and pants running together.

My favorite looks:

blue-front--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720&interpolation=bilinear

white-blue-combo--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720&interpolation=bilinear

Worst Looks

white-front--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720&interpolation=bilinear

grey-front--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720&interpolation=bilinear

Grey's the secondary colour on the jerseys, but is nowhere to be found on the pants. The front and back numbers have a neon green outline, but the tv numbers don't. This look fails at basic uniform consistency.

There's not enough difference in the grey and the away whites to even warrant having that grey as an alternate. Either make the grey darker, or bring back the lime alternate and it would have been a lot better.

There's not enough difference in the grey and the away whites to even warrant having that grey as an alternate. E

Exactly. I thought "so that's the white jersey with the grey pants combo" the first time I saw the mono grey look. Grey/silver just doesn't work as a primary jersey colour in football. Unless it's really dark it just looks the whites got dirty.

When did Russell get permission to use Nike's logo? :P

Really though, I don't hate the grey option. I just think it's unnecessary. Would have much preferred a green jersey.

When did Russell get permission to use Nike's logo? :P

Really though, I don't hate the grey option. I just think it's unnecessary. Would have much preferred a green jersey.

A green jersey would have been better than that grey crap.

Love em! Great unis, love more green being used.

The Seahawks look so out of place with the rest of the NFL now. I hope we'll see some more changes in the coming years to fix that (and by that I mean more unique looks, not getting rid of this new look):

555558_404952519515371_124443954232897_1553397_1218275025_n.jpg

i dont have any style preferences. i just like things that are good. this is not good. it looks like 3 different designers worked on it, theres so many different ideas going on and they're not even consistent across the uniform. i think Nike is using them to how off what they are capable of producing rather than designin a good uniform. i love the colors, but thats it. they even managed to screw up the great logo on the back of the helmet

The helmet stripe bugs me:

1. It's that really thick stripe that Georgia used.

2. It's barely visible.

3. What exactly is the pattern on the stripe?

As a Seattle Seahawks fan since the franchise entered the NFL, all I can say is that these uniforms are abysmal. They represent so much of what is wrong in the current world of sports design, a world in which athletic-wear manufacturers are ceded far too much power in determining what the design aesthetic for a franchise will be. As hawk36 put it, rather than a cohesive whole, these uniforms represent nothing so much as a "hodge podge" of currently trendy design elements that have been randomly "thrown together". The result is a jarringly disjointed mess that cannot possibly hope to stand the test of time.

The so-called "wing / feather" elements look more like a stylized letter "U"... a rejected corporate logo for the likes of Union Bank or Unilever. The inclusion of elements like the tapering triangle of "corporate U-marks" - uh, pardon... "wings / feathers" - on the helmets and the placement of the Seahawks wordmark appear to have been driven by nothing so much as a determination on the part of the designers to do something different simply because they could. While monochrome Seahawks Blue uniforms were the bane of my existence as a fan in the last uni set, I found Seahawks Blue - as a color - to be vastly more aesthetically pleasing than "Wolf Grey"... which resembles nothing so much as a dirty White uniform when applied to the alternate jerseys and pants.

Frankly, these uniforms can be summed-up with this copy from the roll-out on the Seahawks' website:

New Uniform Combinations: There are nine different variations of the new uniforms - it's a good bet we'll see combinations like this during the season.

This mindset - along with the plethora of random design elements in the uniforms - epitomizes what I like to call the "More is LESS" design aesthetic, also known as the "How much shΒ‘t can we throw at the wall and still get the client to sign-off on this?" philosophy.

Well, at least one can take heart in the fact that these abject failures will - if there is a merciful God in sports-design Heaven - be relegated to the dustbin of history at the end of their mandatory 5-year run. Surely, by that time, this hybrid of Arena football / "modern college" football chic will have worn out its welcome.

The shape of the middle "stripe" on the sleeve looks like the top of the space needle (to me anyway). wonder if that was done on purpose.

Simply spectacular. A wholesale upgrade for the Seahawks. Bravo Nike, the NFL and the organization.

The Jersey is fine IMO.

One problem, you do a change for one team, why not 10 or 15 more. I know it's up to the team, but still. Majorly disappointing unveiling.

The Jersey is fine IMO.

One problem, you do a change for one team, why not 10 or 15 more. I know it's up to the team, but still. Majorly disappointing unveiling.

Because why burn 15 potential separate publicity opportunities at the same time.

The Jersey is fine IMO.

Because why burn 15 potential separate publicity opportunities at the same time.

Not saying to do a Seahawk-esque change. How about a striping, font, wordmark, etc, change.

I guarantee, no one is happy with what the Panthers did. Or didn't do.