Breakdown of Seattle Seahawks New Uniforms

CDixonDesign

Are they the worst things ever? Nah. I'm glad somebody tried something modern in the NFL. A couple nitpicks though:

1. Just don't "get" the feather/wing pattern. I can't even tell if they're supposed to be feathers or wings (even after looking at the native art that was posted). It reminds me of art deco or Michael Graves modernism more than anything to do with Seattle or the Seattle Seahawks.

2. The way that wing/feather element is incorporated on the sleeve just seems to draw attention to the Nike logo. It reminds me of the ReeBox on the Blues uniforms: uniform design elements solely to promote the uniform supplier.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. The way that wing/feather element is incorporated on the sleeve just seems to draw attention to the Nike logo. It reminds me of the ReeBox on the Blues uniforms: uniform design elements solely to promote the uniform supplier.

You're surprised by that? The primary purpose of these uniforms is to outfit the league but the secondary purpose of making a boatload of cash for the manufacturer is close behind. It's no different for any manufacturer. Why do you think Adidas makes the three stripes so prominent on their soccer jerseys, etc. etc.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

And in general I think what Nike has done with team collars is an abomination.

Isn't the Nike flywire collar an equipment element versus a fashion design? I thought it prevents the shoulder pads from coming out. If that's the case, then I think it's an improvement.

You're surprised by that? The primary purpose of these uniforms is to outfit the league but the secondary purpose of making a boatload of cash for the manufacturer is close behind. It's no different for any manufacturer. Why do you think Adidas makes the three stripes so prominent on their soccer jerseys, etc. etc.

Maybe I'm just being crotchety; it's possible. If Nike made some kind of unique pants striping pattern like four stripes that start out big and progressively get smaller towards the back or something like that and trademarked it, I don't think it bothers me. I think the Flywire stitching pattern is in the same vein as the adidas stripes, for example, although you could argue whether it's form or function. I think there's a difference between having a uniform template that is associated with your company and using the uniform to put a neon green highlighter over your logo on the sleeve. That's the difference between the adidas stripes and having a random black box for the Reebok logo on the Blues jerseys.

And in general I think what Nike has done with team collars is an abomination.

Isn't the Nike flywire collar an equipment element versus a fashion design? I thought it prevents the shoulder pads from coming out. If that's the case, then I think it's an improvement.

It is probably slightly better at doing that, but it is so damned ugly that aesthetically it can be called an abomination.

If it was so great don't you think that all 32 teams would have welcomed it with open arms, rather than some telling Nike to go away with it?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

It seems like the players are envious of the new look Seahawks. Check out this article.

So an article on the Seahawks website says the other players were all envious and then quotes exactly two of them? Homer propaganda.

And those who say modern doesn't have to mean ugly are right. In this case, ugly means ugly. B)

And where does anyone get "feather pattern" out of the chicken tracks?

Edit: Eating at least some crow here. Just read this on nola.com from Pierre Thomas:

===

"Seattle has the hottest uniform right now," Thomas told The Associated Press. "So I'm a little jealous. But I still love my all black. I think it looks nice."

===

I am seriously shocked at how players seem to love clown suit uniforms. What are they thinking?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

As a lifelong Seahawk fan, I actually like these. They didnt go too outside the box and give us an all Green look.

I would change three things:

1. On white and Silver/Grey jersey make the part in middle of stripes on shoulder Green as on the dark jersey look. (More uniform)

2. Outline all numbers in the green not just front and back

3. Would have been great to go back to a silver Helmet and make bottom of logo green. (Tie in the original look a bit more)

No time to photoshop or I would

I dont like how the Nike Swoosh gets framed in it own little shaped on the sleeves. It's very distracting and takes away from the team. It's the Seattle Seahawks, not the Seattle Nikes. The swoosh is way more obvious than Reebok's logo ever was.

I also don't like this new pattern, which to me looks look like corn shucks without the corn. It'd be more apprpopriate for an Iowa or Nebraska team. I guess it's supposd to be wings???

What I do like is the new unique thick striping on the shoulders. It is outside the box and more teams, college or pro, rebranding in the near future could use this kind of creativity.

It seems like the players are envious of the new look Seahawks. Check out this article.

Thing is, this isn't the NCAA. Nike can't play the "look how popular this is!" card in the NFL. No professional football player's letting a uniform decide where he signs, and owners aren't just going to let Nike walk in and redesign everything for shiggles.

I know that the uniforms will not help in signing players, but I think that it makes a strong statement when players from teams like Buffalo, Cleveland and Tampa Bay are wishing their teams made drastic changes. Even this evening on NFL LIVE, Detmer stated that teams like Cleveland need to follow in Seattle's footstep and come out with a modern design.

Except they won't. Since no player is going to base his livelihood on a uniform design then there's no pressure on the teams' parts to change their looks. Again, this isn't the NCAA.

Did you even read my post. I stated the uniforms will not help in signing player. All I was saying was that players like the modern designs and that analysts like changes to uniforms. Mainly what I was saying was that I agreed with you and I never said it was the NCAA but somehow you always turn someone supporting your comment into an argument. Maybe you should be a lawyer because you are great at changing the topic around to your liking.

You were saying that the new Seahawks uniforms were awesome because two, count 'em two, players said they liked them.

I was simply responding by saying how what a player does or doesn't like means exactly jack.

And stop with the "if you don't like modern uniforms you hate change" bs and personal insults.

The uniforms are okay. Can't go beyond that.

I actually like the overall jersey design. The wordmark is okay because it is unique, but it does look out of place.

The watermark design is way, way overdone. Numbers, helmet, pants stripe, collar. I do like the stripe/panels and the sleeves. Numbers are kinda "meh".

The logo wrap-around is definitely an improvement but the tapered stripe is a major, major fail. It adds absolutely nothing to the helmet design.

It fails as an idea as it makes reproduction more difficult...how will it translate to a mini-helmet, a pocket pro, a t-shirt illustration? It makes the helmet too busy. And most of all, the watermark/"feather" design doesn't look like feathers. It just looks dumb as it is over-used. IMHO, it looks okay as an accent on the stripe and collar but it's just too much as done.

The lime trim on the numbers looks excessively forced.

These do NOT look like NFL-calibre...they look collegiate.

New right-side helmet graphic:

Hey ColorWerx,

Do you know if the logo itself changed outside the colors? On the actual helmet pictures, the two sides meet up and point down, while the stand-alone logo points up on the end.

TaperDifference.jpg

I can sum up my feelings and thought about the new Seahawks threads with the following:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thing is, this isn't the NCAA. Nike can't play the "look how popular this is!" card in the NFL. No professional football player's letting a uniform decide where he signs, and owners aren't just going to let Nike walk in and redesign everything for shiggles.

I know that the uniforms will not help in signing players, but I think that it makes a strong statement when players from teams like Buffalo, Cleveland and Tampa Bay are wishing their teams made drastic changes. Even this evening on NFL LIVE, Detmer stated that teams like Cleveland need to follow in Seattle's footstep and come out with a modern design.

Except they won't. Since no player is going to base his livelihood on a uniform design then there's no pressure on the teams' parts to change their looks. Again, this isn't the NCAA.

Did you even read my post. I stated the uniforms will not help in signing player. All I was saying was that players like the modern designs and that analysts like changes to uniforms. Mainly what I was saying was that I agreed with you and I never said it was the NCAA but somehow you always turn someone supporting your comment into an argument. Maybe you should be a lawyer because you are great at changing the topic around to your liking.

You were saying that the new Seahawks uniforms were awesome because two, count 'em two, players said they liked them.

I was simply responding by saying how what a player does or doesn't like means exactly jack.

And stop with the "if you don't like modern uniforms you hate change" bs and personal insults.

I never said these uniforms were awesome, in fact I like the previous set better. But I do like these uniforms and they are exactly what I was expecting. If you felt like this was a personal insult, then I apologize for that.

spacer.png

New right-side helmet graphic:

Hey ColorWerx,

Do you know if the logo itself changed outside the colors? On the actual helmet pictures, the two sides meet up and point down, while the stand-alone logo points up on the end.

TaperDifference.jpg

This should answer your question.

New%20nike%20nfl%20uniforms%20seattle%20seahawks.jpeg

I feel vindicated that they finally connected the bird heads on the helmet, but I'd go back to the gap that always bugged me if it even meant we'd get the last Seahawks set back.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived