Astrodome Tour

Firefly

I wrote up a post on this for my stadium blog, and got sad. I heard someone wanted to turn it into a theme park or something, the idea could work if done right. Imagine taking out the lower bowl and having roller coasters and stuff. As long as ALL the non pathways are astroturf.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote up a post on this for my stadium blog, and got sad. I heard someone wanted to turn it into a theme park or something, the idea could work if done right. Imagine taking out the lower bowl and having roller coasters and stuff. As long as ALL the non pathways are astroturf.

I heard that too but I would say that's in all likelyhood fallen through as well.

Yeah, the indoor amusement park idea was around a few years ago. But if Astroworld, which was right across the street from the Dome, couldn't stay in business, what hope would we have of enjoying a far smaller indoor park?

I like the idea of the movie studio but the state has been very stingy about funding anything but essentials (and the Governor's Mansion). So, while there are tax breaks, they don't have an active incentive for filmmakers like other states.

During our bid for the 2012 Olympics, there was a plan to gut it and make it into the track and field stadium

But yeah, anything besides being used as a storage closet like it is now.

BTW- the local NPR station talked about this tour and said that they had very few lights on. What you are seeing there is the light streaming in through the windows of the dome.

From the looks of some of the photos in the gallery...probably best at this point to take it down.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

It's like one of those Life After People shows. Creepy almost.

What was the last major sport game ever played there/ Why is there a torn up football field there?

They shot the last game of the Friday Night Lights movie there in 04 or 05. I don't know if it's been in use since then, but that could honestly be the reason for the football field.

Wait, didn't they house some people there during Katrina?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Wait, didn't they house some people there during Katrina?

Yeah, they bused in the people who were holed up in the Superdome. Big reason we have a lot of Saints fans in Houston. That and bandwagoning, of course.

That was '05 so that was the last use for it.

A current tour of the Astrodome from the Houston Chronicle http://www.chron.com/news/gallery/Astrodome-tour-41244/photo-2774936.php. This is what you get with 2-3 million dollars of maintenance a year.

628x471.jpg

I've been staring at that photo a good long while trying to wrap my head around the perspective. I gather it's from the press or a luxury box (did the latter even exist then?), but it also looks like someone shrunk a scale version of the warped Astrodome into their living room.

The video screen in the upper right area of the photo looks like a 13" TV/DVD player combo that a teenager would have mounted to the wall in his bedroom in 2002.

Compare these tour pics to this pic during its time hosting Katrina evacuees. They are letting it rot.

DSC02088.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I know it'll cost them 128 million to demo it, but for the love of God do it. This is like letting a sick/dying animal live too long rather that putting it down. What boggles my mind is that this "wonder of the world" that's biggest contribution to sport were the abortions known as Astroturf and the dome, is still hanging on but a landmark like Tiger Stadium was demolished despite a fight to keep it.

Really couldn't have said it better, good sir.

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

If they could demolish Yankee Stadium, Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, Montreal Forum, among other historic stadiums I'm sure they can demolish the Astrodome and the world will be ok.

Great Western still exists, it's primarily a concert venue.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

If they could demolish Yankee Stadium, Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, Montreal Forum, among other historic stadiums I'm sure they can demolish the Astrodome and the world will be ok.

Some megachurch owned it for a few years...

spacer.png

No one is saying it won't. In fact many are advocating that it should be demolished.

This post had inspired me to start a renovation concept for the Astrodome. My plan is for it to be used by the University of Houston baseball and football teams. I hope to post it in the Concepts subforum sometime this week.

University of Houston is building themselves a new football stadium already. Your idea just lost one of its tenants.

This post had inspired me to start a renovation concept for the Astrodome. My plan is for it to be used by the University of Houston baseball and football teams. I hope to post it in the Concepts subforum sometime this week.

University of Houston is building themselves a new football stadium already. Your idea just lost one of its tenants.

Yeah, and the Red Sox will never ever ever ever ever ever ever switch from navy blue to green. That doesn't stop people from making concepts where they do that.

Who cares if a concept isn't valid in the real world?

spacer.png

In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw it from the air on Saturday when coming into LAX. Was kinda cool to see.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived