Houston Astros Flashback Fridays

shaydre1019

The Astros said the Colt 45 jersey will be sold at the ballpark starting April 10 (the first time they wear them). They weren't clear if they'd be available via MLBShop.com.

(edited for spelling)

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am holding in my hands a Colts jersey. White doubleknits, chain-stitched logo, with the pistol. I purchased it at the team store at Minute Maid Park. Their team blogger said there is no plan to sell them online, and the supply they have in store is all they are planning on having. Today was the first day they were on sale (they'll be worn tonight), so I had to get one.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm so jacked to see that mid-90's set again, that's my favorite baseball uniform of all time. It was right in the prime of my childhood and the Killer B's got me hooked.

As for the speculation about the shooting star jersey, the fact that the 50th anniversary logo uses the wordmark from that set right at the top was a good indicator to me that they may want to reintroduce it

The stirrups they wore were pretty sweet too.

During the FSN Houston broadcast, ex-manager Larry Dierker was in the booth for an interview. A brief discussion of the new uniforms for 2013 came up and Dierker said he'd seen some of the potential designs. He didn't elaborate past that.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It was great to see that they even had .45s on the batting helmets. In the past years when the Astros did throwbacks they kept the standard batting helmet which is a completely different color set then all of the past Astro uni's. Rainbow guts unis with a black helmet just does not look right. I hope they come out with orange helmets for those nights.

It was great to see that they even had .45s on the batting helmets. In the past years when the Astros did throwbacks they kept the standard batting helmet which is a completely different color set then all of the past Astro uni's. Rainbow guts unis with a black helmet just does not look right. I hope they come out with orange helmets for those nights.

Little details like this actually make you think Jim Crane gives a crap about the franchise, doesn't it? And it isn't even that expensive, if you really think about it. They need an their regular black helmets, a set of navy helmets (change the decal for the Colt 45's, shooting stars, rainbow sleeves, and navy/gold nights), and a set of orange helmets.

I'm curious to see if how they dress on the road this weekend. Under McLane, they wore the bricks on the road almost exclusively until last year, when they wore the bricks for road night games (with the black hat) and the greys for road day games (with the brick hat). Red was Drayton's favorite color, so that's part of the reason it featured so prominently. It'd be nice to see them return to the old schedule (road greys M-Sat, bricks on Sunday).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think it might be interesting if they tried and arched version of the '70s and '80s wordmark with the shooting star over it for their next logo. I think that wordmark is more iconic for the Astros, but the rest of the rainbow guts jerseys are throw aways.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Some pics from the game tonight:

2u5s7pw.png

OMG, there's a picture of a gun on the jersey! It makes me want to go out and shoot people! AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

For the Astros' next unis, I'd love for them to adopt a Navy + Bright Orange + Gold scheme and still use the open star cap logo but with the new colors; that IMHO would nicely integrate the best parts of their history while making them unique in MLB.

If anyone could make a concept with this idea it would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at a few photos of Bob Aspromonte earlier today for a project I'm working on here at the office and came across this Astros hat. Was this hat ever worn in a game or was it just for photos? I'm born and raised here in Houston, but anything pre-80's is before my time. The mothership only list the "h-star" hat logo for this era, but the pic below show a plain orange star. I think it makes for a cool looking hat.

I found a few more photos of this hat, but can't seem to get them to post. Also, no photos of this hat seem to appear in game action, just in photo ops:

AspromonteBob_20090624535.gif

When going to the game last Friday I checked out their Colts jersey. Only $230!!!! A lot of people were actually buying them. I couldn't bring myself to considering the jersey that was worn and the ones being sold are not 100% accuarate. The font is off especially the C. Still my favorite jerseys of all-time.

I was at MMP yesterday for the day game vs the Dodgers and almost purchased the "shooting star" jersey from the team store, myself. It was around $230 and looked terrific in person. It was more of a cream colored jersey than white. The navy blue and orange just looked great against it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jim crane will do hatever it takes to please the fans. And that means hes not in the position to do anything other than what the fans want.

I wonder if they're using the sales of the throwbacks as an indicator of which direction they're going??

Archived