Houston Astros Flashback Fridays

shaydre1019

I love the late '60s Astros jerseys, but I would get rid of that shooting star entriley. It looks like it doesn't belong at all, especially compared to their road jerseys at the time (which were beautiful with the Texas flag instead of the atom logo). Take the star off, move "Astros" up and in the same font as "Houston" on the roads, and you have a classic look.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the late '60s Astros jerseys, but I would get rid of that shooting star entriley. It looks like it doesn't belong at all, especially compared to their road jerseys at the time (which were beautiful with the Texas flag instead of the atom logo). Take the star off, move "Astros" up and in the same font as "Houston" on the roads, and you have a classic look.

No, then you have a plain jersey with plain block "Astros" and "Houston" on them.

I've said this before when talking about the Astros, but I honestly think a look honoring both the Shooting Star and the Rainbow Guts could work.

Instead of having the contrails off the star all be orange, have them orange, yellow & red; stick it on the road unis too beacuse a mismatch that egregious is just bad.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 4 weeks later...

Those uniforms are truly awful for any era, but that hat is just so damned sexy.

Just saw their highlights from their game tonight against the Reds ... I agree on both counts. Always hated that uniform they wore tonight when it was their regular everyday one.

Would like to see these (below) some more on future Fridays ... this is the one I'd like to see them revert to and then make a few minor tweaks to it. Of course starting with dumping the Astrodome patch for something else.

Also .. Perhaps the orange cap at home, black on the road. Kind of like how the Cardinals switch between the red & navy caps between home and away games.

Cardinals_Astros_Baseball_263785_game.jpg

I see Majestic still refuses to size a pullover jersey properly.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Also .. Perhaps the orange cap at home, black on the road. Kind of like how the Cardinals switch between the red & navy caps between home and away games.

The cap pictured is navy. Until the Astros switched to the current set, they always had navy and never black. Anyway, I would hate if they went with one color at home and a different on the road. I don't like when teams do that. The Astros should pick either orange or navy to be the primary and run with it. It's better to have a consistent look home and road. However, I fear orange at home and navy on the road is exactly what the Astros will do.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't mind when teams do light color at home, dark on the road. But the Astros should be primary navy all the time. I'd say, though, maybe an alt home set with primary orange markings and an orange cap, kinda like they're current primary brick white set. Maybe one day a week use. But the Astros need to be primary navy, secondary orange. They'd still have lots more orange to help differentiate them from Detroit.

Or they could throw a monkey wrench up in the project and go indigo and orange...but naw, that wouldn't be the safe route to go in this era of retrograde identities. Plus, it'd be hard to match indigo with regular everyday clothing, nor is it exactly thr easiest color to reproduce.

So naw, I don't expect anything progressive (and plus, it ain't like Houston's exactly the most progressive city in the world, either)...they'll just make some simple tweaks to that 60s set and call it a day.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

f13fa27aceb8f1252cba078d79353c43-getty-145566645.jpg

6ccb681b863f2c0becc721b9373efbda-getty-145566636.jpg

aefc19b10869f83fa984924fe0d040f5-getty-145560483.jpg

77f622dcd60a78a85258abe20e00ce7f-getty-145560482.jpg

ed4f68bb56f6debdfd8029081c532009-getty-145566638.jpg

These Astro and Pirate uniforms from this time period actually spawned a number of other teams in pro and college baseball imitating this style. That's why it's important to look at the context of the era, even if someone has a negative opinion of these unis. The 1970s was a progressive era in style, and while these uniforms stood out, it wasn't on the scale of Oregon football today, for example. You didn't have TV announcers going on about those uniforms the way they do today with Oregon.

I think their current set is among the best in baseball. Too bad they 'have' to change to announce their presence in the AL. I don't know why the Brewers couldn't go back, I still think of them as an AL team.

Those Rainbow Gut unis are fun to see but an absolute barfgasm.

The cap pictured is navy. Until the Astros switched to the current set, they always had navy and never black. Anyway, I would hate if they went with one color at home and a different on the road. I don't like when teams do that. The Astros should pick either orange or navy to be the primary and run with it. It's better to have a consistent look home and road. However, I fear orange at home and navy on the road is exactly what the Astros will do.

I agree. The cap color should match the primary color of the lettering on the uniforms. The Cardinals would look better with red caps all the time and the Rangers look HIDEOUS when they wear the red caps with blue jersey lettering.

This looks good:

LeeTex.jpg

This looks good:

OliverInter97.jpg

This looks awful:

BelreTex2.jpg

The Astros kept it right when they switched from navy to orange in 1971:

nl_1970_houston.gif

nl_1971_houston.gif

The Braves, Twins and Indians have long histories with red lettering and navy caps. I'm glad that the Twins and Indians started using navy with a red outline on their recent road unis just to mix it up and because of all the teams with navy and red, none did the lettering that way, not because it had been "wrong" all these years.

Now, the Rangers' red caps with blue lettering takes some getting used to, but if the reverse is okay I'm not sure why they can't get away with that arrangement of colors. It's the Rangers, not the Dodgers or Cubs. And look at that, the Cubs technically have red lettering and a blue cap at home.

The only issue I have with the Rangers red hats/white jerseys is the same issue I have with their entire primary set, and their set in general... the black.

Black cleats, belts, and the dropshadow.

If they had red and blue belts that they'd wear matching the hat, and dropped the drop shadow, I think it would make the red in the set pop. Instead, it gets a little too muddled among the black elements.

Cardinals_Astros_Baseball_263785_game.jpg

i still dont understand how these are the uniforms everyone seems to want to switch back to... really? they look terrible, and super plain. the "shooting star" looks absolutely ridiculous and something a minor league team would wear. It would have to take alot of "tweaking" to make these acceptable in my opinion. The Navy is almost black, and there is nowhere near enough orange. If reverting back to orange... they become the 6th team in baseball to use that color, and then everyone gets mad when they break out an orange alternate because there are others that have orange jerseys

Or they could throw a monkey wrench up in the project and go indigo and orange...but naw, that wouldn't be the safe route to go in this era of retrograde identities. Plus, it'd be hard to match indigo with regular everyday clothing, nor is it exactly thr easiest color to reproduce.

So naw, I don't expect anything progressive (and plus, it ain't like Houston's exactly the most progressive city in the world, either)...they'll just make some simple tweaks to that 60s set and call it a day.

OK, I'll bite...

How are you defining what's Indigo?

^_^

Archived