Houston Astros Flashback Fridays

shaydre1019

I was thinking last night when I was bored at work that what would be really bad but still unique is when they switch to that supposed throwback design, that the shooting star isn't on the chest, rather it started on the right handed sleeve and finishes on the left handed sleeve. It would look terrible but I kind of think it'd make it unique. But it would be too crazy

Go A's!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking last night when I was bored at work that what would be really bad but still unique is when they switch to that supposed throwback design, that the shooting star isn't on the chest, rather it started on the right handed sleeve and finishes on the left handed sleeve. It would look terrible but I kind of think it'd make it unique. But it would be too crazy

And I thought I came up with crazy ideas while bored at work. :P

My graveyard shift boredom last night spawned some thoughts and ideas about how they might modernize the rainbow pattern, if they chose to do so. While I love those tequila sunrise/rainbow guts jerseys from the '70s, something like that would be way too much today as a primary. The racing stripes on the sleeves IMO really tamed and balanced the look while still allowing them to claim the rainbow look as their own, but I think most would agree that racing stripes have a decidedly '80s look to them. I would love them to bring back the rainbow look in some capacity, but I'm having trouble imagining how it should look. Ideas?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

f13fa27aceb8f1252cba078d79353c43-getty-145566645.jpg

6ccb681b863f2c0becc721b9373efbda-getty-145566636.jpg

aefc19b10869f83fa984924fe0d040f5-getty-145560483.jpg

77f622dcd60a78a85258abe20e00ce7f-getty-145560482.jpg

ed4f68bb56f6debdfd8029081c532009-getty-145566638.jpg

Stop hating! These are beautiful and you know it. Its like when some homophobic congressman goes on and on about the "evils" of gay relationships... you know he's just trying to hide his latent feelings, and it's only a matter of time until he's caught in an airport bathroom.

Everyone who declares these horrible... I know you secretly love them. Come on... I'm fully out of the rainbow gut closet! Join me!

Stop hating! These are beautiful and you know it. Its like when some homophobic congressman goes on and on about the "evils" of gay relationships... you know he's just trying to hide his latent feelings, and it's only a matter of time until he's caught in an airport bathroom.

Everyone who declares these horrible... I know you secretly love them. Come on... I'm fully out of the rainbow gut closet! Join me!

No thanks; I was there the first time around. These are great for a limited use/throwback/heritage night, but not full time. Yep, I loved them when they came out - but then again I was 13 and loved all the colorfult uniforms. Then we all got burned out on them.

I wonder why the name is so far away from the number on the back

Because that is one of the few things Majestic messed up on these - the numbers should be positioned higher on the jersey so a couple of inches extend up over the rainbow portion. The other screw-ups is #1 - these aren't 1975 jerseys; the '75s had a white circle on the back; if these are '76s then the numbers should have an orange outline instead of white. Also, it should have fewer stripes in the pattern.

No they're just terrible.

Cardinals_Astros_Baseball_263785_game.jpg

i still dont understand how these are the uniforms everyone seems to want to switch back to... really? they look terrible, and super plain. the "shooting star" looks absolutely ridiculous and something a minor league team would wear. It would have to take alot of "tweaking" to make these acceptable in my opinion. The Navy is almost black, and there is nowhere near enough orange. If reverting back to orange... they become the 6th team in baseball to use that color, and then everyone gets mad when they break out an orange alternate because there are others that have orange jerseys

It's not necessarily a "want to", it's a "going to". Larry Dierker has said on multiple occasions he's seen the new designs and that they resemble these. Crane's clues seem to point towards what the colors will be.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

No thanks; I was there the first time around. These are great for a limited use/throwback/heritage night, but not full time. Yep, I loved them when they came out - but then again I was 13 and loved all the colorfult uniforms. Then we all got burned out on them.

Oh, don't get me wrong... as much as I love them (I was 11 first time I saw them) even I'm not advocating a full time return. Just digging on them for what they are/were. These crazy things are one of the small number of childhood sparks that first got me interested in uniforms and logos.

Or they could throw a monkey wrench up in the project and go indigo and orange...but naw, that wouldn't be the safe route to go in this era of retrograde identities. Plus, it'd be hard to match indigo with regular everyday clothing, nor is it exactly thr easiest color to reproduce.

So naw, I don't expect anything progressive (and plus, it ain't like Houston's exactly the most progressive city in the world, either)...they'll just make some simple tweaks to that 60s set and call it a day.

OK, I'll bite...

How are you defining what's Indigo?

^_^

Credit goes to raysox. (Okay, maybe blue-er than this.)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I'm pretty sure those 1971 uniforms that were brought up were actually red. Seems to be an era that gets bypassed a lot.

If you're referring to the Astros, they weren't red, they were orange. The Astros never wore red until brick in 2000. They were always primarily navy and orange until 1994 when they switched to navy and gold. The only red prior to 2000 was simply it's place on the rainbow stripes/guts.

I'm pretty sure those 1971 uniforms that were brought up were actually red. Seems to be an era that gets bypassed a lot.

If you're referring to the Astros, they weren't red, they were orange. The Astros never wore red until brick in 2000. They were always primarily navy and orange until 1994 when they switched to navy and gold. The only red prior to 2000 was simply it's place on the rainbow stripes/guts.

Yeah, I think that's a product of the particular hue of orange favored by sports teams at the time, and the less than stellar state of color TV. I remember when I was a kid, I thought the Denver Broncos wore red. First time someone on TV called them orange, I was shocked. Same with the Chicago Bears. When I did my 8 year old uniform drawings, I made them black and red. Took me a while to get that out of my head.

Or they could throw a monkey wrench up in the project and go indigo and orange...but naw, that wouldn't be the safe route to go in this era of retrograde identities. Plus, it'd be hard to match indigo with regular everyday clothing, nor is it exactly thr easiest color to reproduce.

So naw, I don't expect anything progressive (and plus, it ain't like Houston's exactly the most progressive city in the world, either)...they'll just make some simple tweaks to that 60s set and call it a day.

OK, I'll bite...

How are you defining what's Indigo?

^_^

Not sure what his opinion is, but when I think indigo i think of a dark denim blue color with a hint of purple.

Yeah, I think that's a product of the particular hue of orange favored by sports teams at the time, and the less than stellar state of color TV. I remember when I was a kid, I thought the Denver Broncos wore red. First time someone on TV called them orange, I was shocked. Same with the Chicago Bears. When I did my 8 year old uniform drawings, I made them black and red. Took me a while to get that out of my head.

And I could have sworn the shade of brick worn in 2000 was more orange than red. It wasn't until those red alts debuted that it looked more red than orange to me. I have an Astros cap from around 2000 when I was trying to collect one from each team. I'll have to take a look, although someone will likely shoot down that theory before I dig it out.

And I could have sworn the shade of brick worn in 2000 was more orange than red. It wasn't until those red alts debuted that it looked more red than orange to me. I have an Astros cap from around 2000 when I was trying to collect one from each team. I'll have to take a look, although someone will likely shoot down that theory before I dig it out.

Wasn't the MLB batterman on the back of the Astros' hats sand instead of white when the current set first debuted? For some reason I remember the Astros were able to change it from the traditional format. Same with the Indians' I-outlined-in-silver hat (the batterman was silver instead of white).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived