The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

Hogan's a Flyers fan! That's why his skin has been so orange all these years! I wonder if he ever tag-teamed with the Legion of Doom.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA really doesn't pick up till the conference finals. There are far too many mismatches and sweeps in the NBA playoffs to match the NHL.

Depends on the conference. The NBA's Eastern Conference has sucked, sucks, and will always suck... but the Western Conference playoffs are always competitive and entertaining.

On this, you are wrong. NHL playoffs beat the NBA in every single point of entertainment value. The NBA was better when the first round was 5 games, so you can get the crappy ball out of the way instead of letting it drag. It seems like it takes forever for the NBA playoffs to go through, while the NHL generally keeps its pace. Lets not forget the fun of having some second round series start before some first round series end. It's just horribly organized. And I agree with Brendan, the best series usually arise in the Conference/NBA Finals.

And the really competitive early round NBA series are exceptions. Pretty rare in my book. In the NBA, the better team almost always wins, compared to the NHL where upsets are more likely. A good (or bad) goalie performance can decide a series one way or the other.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The NBA really doesn't pick up till the conference finals. There are far too many mismatches and sweeps in the NBA playoffs to match the NHL.

Depends on the conference. The NBA's Eastern Conference has sucked, sucks, and will always suck... but the Western Conference playoffs are always competitive and entertaining.

On this, you are wrong. NHL playoffs beat the NBA in every single point of entertainment value. The NBA was better when the first round was 5 games, so you can get the crappy ball out of the way instead of letting it drag. It seems like it takes forever for the NBA playoffs to go

through, while the NHL generally keeps its pace. Lets not forget the fun of having some second round series start before some first round series end. It's just horribly organized.

I'm not that familiar with NBA playoffs as much since owners have let my team rot at the bottom since '07, but I remember back in 2003 how ridiculous it was with scheduling. The Kings hosted Utah for the first 2 games on a Saturday and Monday, then Game 3 wasn't till the next Saturday(4 days rest). Also I remember in 2006 how the Spurs beat the Kings in 6 games, but were forced to play the next round on only a days rest on Sunday.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I think the first round might be better than usual this year with more randomness in the shortened, tightened schedule. Your average NBA first round is just a warmup, though.

The fact that the NBA first round is now best-of-7, combined with that awful "40 Games in 40 Nights" scheduling strategy that makes 3 nights off in between games the norm, sucks all the life out of it. The first round should be tightly-wound and kinda crazy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After the epic donnybrook that broke out in Philly today (Let's face it... The .gif BigEd made pretty much sums up that series to a T: The Flyers have made the Penguins their :censored:), I'm kinda hoping for a little more of a slower pace with Florida and New Jersey.

BTW, there are still plenty of good seats in Sunrise!

I'm not even going to address the typical flayers fan :censored: that was your last post. Have fun trying to face anyone else with Bryz as your goalie.

save.gif

I don't trust him at all. Thank God the offense is bailing his a** out.

qPExw.gif

awwww...MAF couldn't stop Voracek's glove either... ^_^

I'm not even going to address the typical flayers fan :censored: that was your last post. Have fun trying to face anyone else with Bryz as your goalie.

qPExw.gif

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Since NHL discipline is now an amusing combination of a game of chance and the whims of human sentiment, let's gamble on it!

Given what's been handed out so far in the playoffs, I'm setting the line on Andrew Shaw getting 2.5 games tomorrow. BONUS PARLAY: Who gets more games - Andrew Shaw for Saturday, or the entire Penguins roster for Sunday?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

save.gif

qPExw.gif

And you wonder why your fanbase has the reputation it does...

Enjoy the victory the pens handed to you. Easy to win a series when the other team collapses. We'll see you guys talk when you have to actually defeat someone. And look at how many goals Bryzgalov gave up even with a defense in front of him. If you think that's gonna fly in the playoffs, you are sadly mistaken.

This is another chapter in the rivalry, and nothing more.

oBIgzrL.png

I'll take the under on Shaw. That the Coyotes got hit with two ticky-tack penalties right after Smith was assassinated by a sniper in the rafters seems to indicate that the refs realized they got clowned.

The Devils are a pretty good team. If the Panthers go in their customary third-period prevent shell, Parise, Kovalchuk, and/or Henrique will catch them.

Archived