The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I grabbed my radio and nudged my way through the AM dial until I found a station carrying the game - I think it might have been WBZ in Boston, of all places. Even on radio, it was great to experience.

Your radio in Chicago got stations from Boston?

At night, AM signals' range expand significantly due to a lack of solar interference, or something equally sciencey-sounding. Four AM stations in Chicago - 670, 720, 780, and 890 - operate at 50,000 watts with next to no overlap of their frequencies (thus their designation as "clear-channel" stations), and can spread out pretty much anywhere east of the Rockies and into southern Canada at night. An AM radio with a decent antenna and a non-digital tuning knob can pick up some faraway things - I know one night, I found myself listening to Thunder Bay, ON.

Of course, now that I have over 30,000 worldwide radio stations a fingertip away, on a phone smaller than an AM transistor radio, all of that seems downright antique. But such were the facilities available to me at the time.

This is 100% correct. I've been able to pick up WFAN 660 AM out of NYC in Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin, and even Florida. When the Yankees played the Marlins in the 2003 World Series you had people listening calling in stuck in traffic on the way out of Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/LandShark/Sunlife Stadium. (Did I miss one there? :) )

And you REALLY DO need a manual tuning radio so you can barely push the dial one way or the other to really fine tune it. With a digital one nowadays it's much less likely.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Dear "Keith" from Chicago who called into 1040 TEAM Radio and said some trollish comments then blasted Chelsea Dagger until they cut him off, you're awesome.

Please tell me that radio station has an archive of their broadcasts somewhere.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So I grabbed my radio and nudged my way through the AM dial until I found a station carrying the game - I think it might have been WBZ in Boston, of all places. Even on radio, it was great to experience.

Your radio in Chicago got stations from Boston?

At night, AM signals' range expand significantly due to a lack of solar interference, or something equally sciencey-sounding. Four AM stations in Chicago - 670, 720, 780, and 890 - operate at 50,000 watts with next to no overlap of their frequencies (thus their designation as "clear-channel" stations), and can spread out pretty much anywhere east of the Rockies and into southern Canada at night. An AM radio with a decent antenna and a non-digital tuning knob can pick up some faraway things - I know one night, I found myself listening to Thunder Bay, ON.

Of course, now that I have over 30,000 worldwide radio stations a fingertip away, on a phone smaller than an AM transistor radio, all of that seems downright antique. But such were the facilities available to me at the time.

This is 100% correct. I've been able to pick up WFAN 660 AM out of NYC in Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin, and even Florida. When the Yankees played the Marlins in the 2003 World Series you had people listening calling in stuck in traffic on the way out of Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/LandShark/Sunlife Stadium. (Did I miss one there? :) )

And you REALLY DO need a manual tuning radio so you can barely push the dial one way or the other to really fine tune it. With a digital one nowadays it's much less likely.

Interesting...either I don't listen to enough AM radio, or I just had no idea, or both (ding ding). Denver has KOA 850 AM, which is 50,000 watts, and I think it stretches as far north as Montana, but in turn, I've never really had a cool story of picking up a station from say, KC or Dallas or Albuquerque. The mountains probably hamper any reception from stations to the west.

I do have a memory some years ago - driving to Las Vegas at night you can pick up San Francisco stations in southern Utah, as we listened in to a Warriors game.

I just never knew the scope of long-range AM broadcasting.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Back in the mid-90s growing up west of Salt Lake City I was able to pick up Las Vegas, Calgary (used to listen to Hitmen games when the station was available), Dallas, and Des Moines, Iowa. Crazy stuff and good times.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Back in the mid-90s growing up west of Salt Lake City I was able to pick up Las Vegas, Calgary (used to listen to Hitmen games when the station was available), Dallas, and Des Moines, Iowa. Crazy stuff and good times.

Wow. How the hell did I ever like that song? I was dumb.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Was unaware the Nashville Pred's other eye was a lazy one.

You know, if you cover up the "good" eye, it looks pretty upset about the situation.

To be fair, that tire probably tastes terrible.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So, the Panthers were selling plastic rats at their games, but are stopping the practice after repeated in-game occurrences of rat tossing, which is punishable by a bench minor.

Fair enough. The problem here, though, is that the company line coming from Yormark and his fellow doofs is that they're stopping the practice specifically because Devils fans are the people tossing rats before the final horn. Yes, Michael, that's the only possibility here - that Devils fans, and Devils fans alone, are attempting to sabotage a 3-goal lead with 30 seconds left in the game by drawing a bench minor. Would it have been so hard to take the standard "While we appreciate the enthusiasm and support of of fans..." route here? No, instead, you had to come out sounding like an idiot. Why don't you stick to what you're good at, and get Burger King to sponsor the urinals, or something.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ew... I don't like the idea of a urinal smelling like a Double Whopper with Cheese. I'd try to eat it instead of draining the lizard. :P

Either way, it sounds like this dope (who I assume is part of the Panther ownership, I guess) isn't all that bright. I mean, blaming the opposing team's fans for the premature rat-jaculation? Come on, now. Not a good idea.

Archived