Worcester Ice Cats unveil "new" logo...

The American Hockey League's Worcester IceCats have officially announced that they are adopting a "new" logo... well, sort of.

Effective immediately, the IceCats will begin to utilize the forward-facing depiction of their mascot Scratch's face that appeared as part of the team's Tenth Anniversary logo. The primary mark now includes the team name, as well as the city of Worcester's name.

The new logo, as well as this past season's anniversary mark, were created by Jim Casey of Casey design in Worcester, Massachusetts.

http://www.worcestericecats.com/tickets/ticketcoupon.html

Brian in Boston

Ugh. Double ugh. For the first time ever, I will now display everyone's favorite smiley face.

:puke:

I hate those colors. Plus, the thing looks like a children's show host...like a turquoise, feline version of Barney.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

ehh, it's ok - I like the old logo better. It will probably grow on me. ^_^

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

What I loved about the old logo was that it incorporated the Seven Hills of Worcester into the design: Hancock Hill, Green Hill, Chandler Hill, Bancroft Hill, Mount St. James (or Pakachoag) Hill, Newton Hill and Union (or Sagatabscot) Hill.

That said, the rendering of the IceCat in the old logo wasn't anything to write home about. I don't mind the new logo... I just wish that they'd somehow managed to maintain the Seven Hills as a tie-in to Worcester's history.

Brian in Boston

What I loved about the old logo was that it incorporated the Seven Hills of Worcester into the design: Hancock Hill, Green Hill, Chandler Hill, Bancroft Hill,  Mount St. James (or Pakachoag) Hill, Newton Hill and Union (or Sagatabscot) Hill.

That said, the rendering of the IceCat in the old logo wasn't anything to write home about. I don't mind the new logo... I just wish that they'd somehow managed to maintain the Seven Hills as a tie-in to Worcester's history.

Brian in Boston

That was the original logo right?

worcester_icecats_2002.gifworice95.gif

I saw, I came, I left.

What Icecats logo incorporated the seven hills and how?????

Never mind, I did a google search and found the od logo with the seven hills behind the mascot's head. Nothing to see here, move along......

BTW -

Don't like this latest logo as much as the odd looking sideways loking Icecat from before, as much as I disliked that fella...

Here's an original idea.

Sell the team to local investors, and establish an expansion team in Kansas City, and call them "The Kansas City Blues."

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

While I'm all for Kansas City acquiring a professional ice-hockey team, what does your "original idea" mean for the current IceCats fans in Worcester? It's not as though the team is going unsupported in Massachusetts.

The American Hockey League has had plans to further expand into the Midwest for a couple of seasons now. Although their focus seems to be on placing a team in Des Moines, Iowa's new arena, who knows... perhaps Kansas City would be a better fit.

Bottom line: unless a team is being absolutely ignored in their current market, I always get a bit "antsy" about plans to uproot a team from one market solely to move it into another. Relocation should be a last-ditch effort for situations in which expansion to a new market simply is not in the cards or a current market has proven itself incapable of supporting its team.

Brian in Boston

BiB, have you been to a game in Worcester recently? The last game I went to was a few years ago, a second-round playoff game against Providence. It was a Tuesday night, and there were barely 4,000 people there. It might seem like a lot of people for minor-league hockey, but considering the Centrum Centre hold 13,000, it seemed very cavernous and empty. I do think they get fan support, but like a lot of the other AHL teams, the attendance figures are trumped up and don't necessarily reflect the actual count. I don't know what the figures were this year, but I think they were in the bottom tier of the legaue for attendance. I think the numbers were higher a few years ago when the Blues has pre-season training in nearby Marlboro.

Back to the logo, all I think when I see the head-on logo is "Heavens to Mergatroid!! Crazy even!" I wondered what Snagglepus has been doing all these years. I liked the side profile with the hills logo better. At least they brought back the W in the background.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Here's an original idea.

Sell the team to local investors, and establish an expansion team in Kansas City, and call them "The Kansas City Blues."

Actually, the KC Blues existed as St. Louis's farm club from 1967-1972.

From an outsider's perspective (no offense, James) I can see where such an affiliation might make sense, however the reality is that Kansas Citians have no interest in being St. Louis's little brother in any aspect - sports, politics or otherwise. In the last 30 years it can be argued that Kansas City has surpassed St. Louis in regard to its urban and suburban development and in many respects has become just as, if not more, cosmopolitan than St. Louis. Kansas City sports fans will not stand for being a minor league feeder for St. Louis as it would be considered a slap in the face to the sports community.

From an outsider's perspective (no offense, James) I can see where such an affiliation might make sense, however the reality is that Kansas Citians have no interest in being St. Louis's little brother in any aspect - sports, politics or otherwise. In the last 30 years it can be argued that Kansas City has surpassed St. Louis in regard to its urban and suburban development and in many respects has become just as, if not more, cosmopolitan than St. Louis. Kansas City sports fans will not stand for being a minor league feeder for St. Louis as it would be considered a slap in the face to the sports community.

Uh, no they won't stand for it. Yale I believe you hit the nail right on the head. That's not exactly what you'd hear from most people in St. Louis though. I'm glad to see someone who can look at things objectively.

With all that being said, the new IceKittens logo sucks Chodos!

Back to the logo, all I think when I see the head-on logo is "Heavens to Mergatroid!! Crazy even!" I wondered what Snagglepus has been doing all these years.

hilarious!!! :notworthy:

that's exactly the first thought that popped into my head when i looked at it!

Archived