Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Some news on the coaching front.

Not confirmed, but looks like Bob Hartley is heading to Montreal. Link.

Also, anything but a sure thing, but there is a chance Rangers assistant Mike Sullivan could be a head coach sooner rather than later, in Calgary possibly? The signs all point there do to his past in the city and with Jay Feaster, and John Tortorella has given his blessing. "He should be a head coach, no way I'd stand in front of him." Link.

As well, I still fully believe that Brent Sutter is going to give Edmonton a look.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, anything but a sure thing, but there is a chance Rangers assistant Mike Sullivan could be a head coach sooner rather than later, in Calgary possibly? The signs all point there do to his past in the city and with Jay Feaster, and John Tortorella has given his blessing. "He should be a head coach, no way I'd stand in front of him." Link.

As well, I still fully believe that Brent Sutter is going to give Edmonton a look.

Everytime I hear the name Bob Hartley I cant help but hear the theme from the old Bob Newhart Show.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Everytime I hear the name Bob Hartley I cant help but hear the theme from the old Bob Newhart Show.

his only claim to fame was taking an allstar team to the cup. he failed badly in atlanta, and i have no idea WTF he's been doing since.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

his only claim to fame was taking an allstar team to the cup. he failed badly in atlanta, and i have no idea WTF he's been doing since.

Won a championship in the Swiss Elite League. I'm just glad he's not coming to Calgary.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Won a championship in the Swiss Elite League. I'm just glad he's not coming to Calgary.

At least he speaks French

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

how is the CBA talks coming along (if any)?

Gary Bettman wants the players to be paid in peanuts and is planning to ruin another season because he wants to finish off hockey to assume a spot next to his master David Stern so the NBA has no competition.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

how is the CBA talks coming along (if any)?

Gary Bettman wants the players to be paid in peanuts and is planning to ruin another season because he wants to finish off hockey to assume a spot next to his master David Stern so the NBA has no competition.

You're worse than Will Morris.

Have you ever seen Gary Bettman do anything that has helped hockey? No we are getting a third lockout just as they have finally gotten over the last one. How can someone be so tone deaf how can some keep damaging the sport and not be doing it on pupose. Need I remind you Glendale is his fault.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The current CBA is failing because the linkage between leaguewide revenue and mandatory spending has been pushed up so far by successful markets that the unsuccessful markets can't afford to run their teams. The Maple Leafs and Canadiens make too much money for the NHL's own good. I don't know if that's totally on Bettman, but this is the same sort of unintended-consequences screw-up as the "cap hit = money / years" formula which the Devils reduced to absurdity with Kovalchuk (and were fully within their rights to do and never should've been penalized), and perhaps we should start asking the NHL to maybe think stuff through a little bit here so they stop putting themselves out of business every eight years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Have you ever seen Gary Bettman do anything that has helped hockey? No we are getting a third lockout just as they have finally gotten over the last one. How can someone be so tone deaf how can some keep damaging the sport and not be doing it on pupose. Need I remind you Glendale is his fault.

Why don't you take a deep breath (your used to doing that) and relax. Wait till negotiations actually begin before saying there will be a lockout. The last lockout hurt but it wasn't entirely Bettmans fault and when the NHL returned we had a better product. If Bettman really wanted to sabotage the NHL he wouldn't of bargained so hard for a cap and parity. You also seem to be forgetting the fact that Bettman works on the owners behalf. He's been commissioner since 1993 and the NHL still exist, so either he's really taking his time with this whole sabotage the NHL plan or maybe, just maybe you're a delusional idiot.

Coach 'Artley took the Thrashers to the playoffs....how many other coaches can say that?

So what do you guys suppose is to be done with linked revenue/spending? If you keep the status quo of Function of League Revenues +/- $8 million, you ensure something close to parity among teams, but that means untenable operating costs for failing teams. If you expand the range to maybe, say, +/- 20 (so like a $32MM floor and a $72MM ceiling), you lower the burden on the bottom while making it difficult/impossible to compete with big spenders. Either way, it kinda sucks for them. Real lady-or-the-tiger thing here.

Another thing that needs to be fixed is the market size exception for revenue sharing. This has ghettoized the Islanders to a ridiculous extent, and it's not exactly helping the Ducks and Devils, either. The Isles are in this terrible position where they're neither fish(sticks) nor fowl when it comes to being a small-market team: they're in New York, yes, and they reap the benefits of being on a New York cable channel, but realistically speaking, their market size is really only around 2.5 to 3 million. So here they are in their terrible building with their low payroll, and they get no help from the league because they're "a New York team." Meanwhile, you have similar go-nowhere teams like the Hurricanes and Panthers with generous corporate welfare and sweetheart master leases and all that jazz, and on top of that they still receive revenue sharing. The Coyotes have missed whatever sorts of benchmarks a team needs to hit to qualify for revenue sharing, and they got special dispensation to collect a full share anyway because well duh. I know the NHL has talked a big game about how Long Island is an important part of their footprint and they want that three-team presence in New York and it's great for travel expenses and on and on and on, but enough. Money--->mouth. Help the Islanders out a little here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Coach 'Artley took the Thrashers to the playoffs....how many other coaches can say that?

Indeed, and along with Jacques Lemaire and now Peter DeBoer hes the only one who really got through to Ilya Kovalchuk. I think he'd be a good fit in Montreal (or Washington should he so change his mind).

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Very few athletes go out while they are still playing at the highest level. In my opinion, Nick Lidstrom was the best pure defenseman of all-time. He may not have had the scoring touch or physicality that Bobby Orr had, but his defensive skills and timing were unbelievable.

The only question is how soon will the #5 banner hang from the rafters at the Joe.

I can almost guarantee there will be some kind of labor turmoil this off-season. Don't forget, Donald Fehr is the new head of the NHLPA.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I can almost guarantee there will be some kind of labor turmoil this off-season. Don't forget, Donald Fehr is the new head of the NHLPA.

I've been saying this since the Thrashers left. Kinda rooting for a labor dispute to cause significant games to be lost.

Donald Fehr was at the helm when MLB cancelled the World Series, which happens to be a big deal to the US and almost a big deal worldwide. Seeing as how the NHL recently lost a season due to a labor issue, I don't think Fehr fears international backlash if the NHL misses games.

The turmoil will start on July 1 since free agency will most likely begin under this CBA. If I was an owner, I would not look into signing anyone, even my own FAs. Collusion may be a word used by July 10.

Bettman said this before face-off tonight:

"My guess is in the next few weeks we would begin in either small groups or large groups to set the table about what we each might want to talk about. It remains my hope that constructive negotiations can begin soon and culminate quickly so that attention can remain where it belongs and where everyone wants it to remain, and that is on the game."

Fehr confirmed the "next few weeks" as their timetable. Then he said:

"But I would not confuse a big formal kickoff session as the start of bargaining."

Archived