Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Yeah, I doubt the Predators are anxious to start paying Weber's contract out. I'm not sure I understand how a team could profit from the lockout, but I'm sure there's several teams who are at least losing less than they would if pucks were actually being dropped.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I doubt the Predators are anxious to start paying Weber's contract out. I'm not sure I understand how a team could profit from the lockout, but I'm sure there's several teams who are at least losing less than they would if pucks were actually being dropped.

Television deals.

I heard that a prolonged lockout could cause some teams could fold. Is this true?

No. If it was, then you'd see more cracks within ownership.

Hell, the only time the Coyotes have ever been profitable was the last cancelled season.

Speaking of the Yotes, I notice that Jamison has yet to complete his sales (due in no small part I'd bet to the lockout and the distraction it creates for the owners). He realistically only has until January 15 to do so before the new Glendale council can and will revoke the insane offer put forth by their outgoing predecessors.

Television deals.

It is bigger than the meager TV deals which the majority of the league has, remember 42% of the NHL's total revenue comes directly from gate receipts. That's nearly twice as much as the NFL (22%), while the NBA is at 32% and MLB is at 37%.

Most season tickets for this season were bought upfront, before the lockout. As a result, that money is in the bank gaining interest. If a team owns all or part of their RSN (on the TV side) plus their radio rights, then the accounting for the ads already bought have been adjusted accordingly.

If gate revenue is not going out in terms of player salaries, then the team holds a positive variance. Teams also layoff team staff like sales and others which they consider essential. If there is a "make good" the owners would lose that money instead of a percentage of salary for this season.

Meanwhile, Nashville Predators realize that "cancer never sleeps", so they are organizing a $700/team bowling event in January where you will be "joined by the Nashville Predators coaching staff, VIP’s and everyone’s favorite pin-striker, GNASH! "

Shea Weber got paid $13 million by them already as a signing bonus

1zgyd8w.jpg

Television deals.

Merchandise sales.

Do merch sales count toward revenue that the players are negotiating for? If so, whatever is made during the cap should get added to last year's total revenue to be used in determining the new cap (assuming a split and cap are what comes out of this.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't imagine that it doesn't count toward hockey-related revenue. One interesting quirk that I do know, though, which could play into what is and isn't, is that merchandise revenue is divided equally among all teams except when sold on team-owned physical premises. So unless you're buying your commemorative Stanley Cup tchotchkes at the arena or the team store they run at your major mall, your money wasn't really going to the champs. Incidentally, that rush of buying up Winnipeg Jets merchandise was, thanks to few options in a small city and a savvy consumer base, done mostly at TNSE-owned Jets Gear stores. The Coyotes barely got a dime out of it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Do merch sales count toward revenue that the players are negotiating for? If so, whatever is made during the cap should get added to last year's total revenue to be used in determining the new cap (assuming a split and cap are what comes out of this.)

The old CBA had HRR (Hockey Related Revenue) defined as:

“derived or earned from, relating to or arising directly or indirectly out of the playing of NHL hockey games or NHL-related events in which current NHL Players participate or in which current NHL Players’ names and likenesses are used, by each such Club or the League, or attributable directly to the Club or the League from a Club Affiliated Entity or League Affiliated Entity…and is subject to any inclusions or exclusions as expressly set forth in the article 50”.

That page goes into greater detail on what is not considered HRR.

There's some byzantine breakdown of luxury suite revenue as it pertains to co-anchor tenants. For instance, the Kings' owners, by virtue of sharing the arena with the Lakers and Clippers, can squirrel away a greater percentage of luxury suite revenue as non-hockey related that, say, the single-anchor Canadiens cannot. I don't remember all the deets and I don't even want to.

PIerre Lebrun's 10 ways to recover from the lockout

Ideas 3 and 9 are moronic, but the rest make sense. I especially like giving everyone free center ice for the next year. If you're like me then you're not going to give the NHL any ticket revenue, but you still plan to watch on TV. I'd go one step further and make it free for more than one year. How about free for the two years we've missed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2012/12/phoenix-coyotes-stand-to-turn-profit.html?page=all&r=full

It's happening again: The Phoenix Coyotes stand to make a profit again the only way they know how - by not playing hockey games. Eight letters go here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ideas 3 and 9 are moronic, but the rest make sense. I especially like giving everyone free center ice for the next year. If you're like me then you're not going to give the NHL any ticket revenue, but you still plan to watch on TV. I'd go one step further and make it free for more than one year. How about free for the two years we've missed.

1. Absolutely yeah give us free Center Ice and/or Gamecenter.

2. If it's the "four-conference" plan you tried gavaging last year, don't bother. It sucked. Just flip Nashville and Winnipeg and call it a day till we're at 28, 32, or an NHL with a footprint that actually works, then do it right.

3. Moronic. Too many BS teams in the playoffs already.

4. No one cares about the World Cup of Hockey.

5. Oh, is that a convoluted overtime proposal? tl;dr

6. Yeah, preseason should only be four games. The NHL season should start on October 1st, or a few days before if there are calendar quirks. We gotta tighten this thing up.

7. No, don't bother

8. No, don't bother

9. PIPE DREAM

10. Let's just try to even have a league, Pierre.

http://m.bizjournals...page=all&r=full

It's happening again: The Phoenix Coyotes stand to make a profit again the only way they know how - by not playing hockey games. Eight letters go here.

I don't think they can start collecting the arena subsidy till the team is sold, though. Still, this is just so disgusting.

1. Absolutely yeah give us free Center Ice and/or Gamecenter.

2. If it's the "four-conference" plan you tried gavaging last year, don't bother. It sucked. Just flip Nashville and Winnipeg and call it a day till we're at 28, 32, or an NHL with a footprint that actually works, then do it right.

3. Moronic. Too many BS teams in the playoffs already.

4. No one cares about the World Cup of Hockey.

5. Oh, is that a convoluted overtime proposal? tl;dr

6. Yeah, preseason should only be four games. The NHL season should start on October 1st, or a few days before if there are calendar quirks. We gotta tighten this thing up.

7. No, don't bother

8. No, don't bother

9. PIPE DREAM

10. Let's just try to even have a league, Pierre.

11. Don't do this again

DJ010.jpg

It's patronizing and meaningless if you don't actually follow up and show that you care about the fans.

PvO6ZWJ.png

http://m.bizjournals...page=all&r=full

I don't think they can start collecting the arena subsidy till the team is sold, though. Still, this is just so disgusting.

Nope. And they've only got 20 days left until the new city council is sworn in and could potentially revoke the offer to Jamison. He needs to hurry his ass up if he wants that money for nothing deal to happen.

I'm surprised "call a timeout" wasn't one of Pierre's recommendations.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I assume for #4 that the ASG would get skipped just like in Olympic years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived