Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

If you've thought through this endeavor that the NHL was less interested in shoring up its finances than it was in breaking the union, step forward and collect your prize! (Your prize is "no hockey".)

Belief within PA that Bettman/Batterman pulled bait and switch after initial disclaimer deadline passed.

So first time: feign progress for a few days, try to get union members to sign a deal without Fehr present, then throw a :censored: -fit and pull everything off the table.

Second time: feign progress for a few days, try to sneak in some extra terms and conditions after the disclaimer deadline passes, then...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHL cannot afford to disappear completely this year, that much is obvious. But a meaningful season at this point is nearly impossible. So I suggest a radical alternative.

If a settlement comes too late for a season to be played, the NHL should at least holding a Stanley Cup tournament, with all 30 teams. As last season's finalists, the Kings and Devils would draw first-round byes, seeded #1 and #2, respectively. The remaining teams would be seeded #3 to #30, based on points from last season.

This format would require five rounds instead of the usual four rounds. That means in order to have the finals wrap up in early June, the tournament would have to start around the beginning of April.

This would obviously be a last-ditch effort to salvage something. It is far from desirable. But I believe it would be better than scrapping everything. Any thoughts?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I think the NHL can go away for a while. I'd be fine if the Chris Brown of sports leagues never came back, in fact.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The NHL cannot afford to disappear completely this year, that much is obvious. But a meaningful season at this point is nearly impossible. So I suggest a radical alternative.

If a settlement comes too late for a season to be played, the NHL should at least holding a Stanley Cup tournament, with all 30 teams. As last season's finalists, the Kings and Devils would draw first-round byes, seeded #1 and #2, respectively. The remaining teams would be seeded #3 to #30, based on points from last season.

This format would require five rounds instead of the usual four rounds. That means in order to have the finals wrap up in early June, the tournament would have to start around the beginning of April.

This would obviously be a last-ditch effort to salvage something. It is far from desirable. But I believe it would be better than scrapping everything. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind this as a one time thing.

It's not a terrible idea, and given the circumstances, it makes sense.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Checkmate. IMO there are still too many remaining differences for them to complete a deal in time.

fun fact: in 94-95 they said "well we're this close let's start the season and figure out the rest as we go along"

They weren't trying to murder the Union then.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Checkmate. IMO there are still too many remaining differences for them to complete a deal in time.

Good. At this point any season they play would be a sham anyway (like 94/95). And besides, the loss of a season would hurt the league even more which is exactly what they deserve.

OK... I think we know why some of the players upset last night...

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapshot/bettman_angers_players_slows_talks_idc4uLyMBvdi0wtRMC6yCM#axzz2H2htlJAj

Gary Bettman infuriated players across the table from him at NHL headquarters on Thursday — and, by extension, NHLPA membership — by claiming that a number of general managers had told him they regret some of the contracts they’d previously handed out and would welcome the opportunity to “dismantle” their teams in order to meet the steep drop to the league’s proposed $60 million cap for 2013-14, sources have told The Post.

The players responded with a mixture of anger and skepticism, demanding to know the identity of these alleged GM’s. Bettman refused to name the straw men in seeking to counter the players’ position that adopting a $60M cap — even with two amnesty buyouts — would be punitive against big-market, big-spending franchises.

Nice going Gary...

baltimoreravens.png

Depends on your view of what is "good".

A top flight player making KHL plans when we keep hearing how "close a deals is" isn't a good sign for a 2013 season.

IMHO, him making KHL plans this late is less a sign that they are close to an agreement and more a sign that he is cash poor aka broke after using the escrow money and whatever warchest the NHLPA gave the members.

Depends on your view of what is "good".

A top flight player making KHL plans when we keep hearing how "close a deals is" isn't a good sign for a 2013 season.

IMHO, him making KHL plans this late is less a sign that they are close to an agreement and more a sign that he is cash poor aka broke after using the escrow money and whatever warchest the NHLPA gave the members.

Or it could just be that he wants to play.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The guy makes 3.5 Million a year, I can't imagine that losing 1/2 a season would render him broke.

Most athletes, even NHL players, essentially live paycheck to paycheck because there is the thought that there will be the next check. That is also why I used "cash poor". Why liquidate assets one day and get hit with a tax one day, when six hours later, a CBA could be agreed to in principle?

As a Canadian playing in the US, he has two federal income taxes to file in addition to taxes within each city/county which has an entertainment tax.

While the NHL declined to participate in ESPN's 30 for 30 film, "Broke", read the comments from a former NHLer who went through the 2004-05 lockout, after the film's debut in October 2012.

fun fact: in 94-95 they said "well we're this close let's start the season and figure out the rest as we go along"

They weren't trying to murder the Union then.

They were but the rich teams said "hey Gary we want to make some money now"

1zgyd8w.jpg

And supposedly Bettman still feels the owners got burned in the "figure out the rest" part. Won't do that again.

Archived