Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Yeah, I don't get the strawman-slaying here. Who said they're boycotting? Who made snide remarks? NAME NAMES. HOUSE UN-HOCKEY ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE.

Didn't mean just here... seeing it all over twitter and Facebook... some people just can't help themselves...

My facebook hockey content overload has been of the WOOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY IS BACK YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY variety, but then again these are casuals. They don't understand that to be a hockey fan is to be perpetually aggrieved and annoyed.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't plan on giving the league any of my discretionary income for a while. I'm going to watch the unholy hell out of the league every night (oh jeez I get off work at 7 instead of 10 now my wife is going to get sick of this pronto), but my cash will go to the minors.

Fake edit: Mid-post, I've been reminded that the original point of the trip a bunch of us are taking to Nashville in 2 weeks was to see the Blackhawks-Predators game on the 19th. So there may be one NHL expenditure for me, depending on how the redone schedule shakes out.

I still have some concerns about revenue sharing being reworked into "Gary Bettman gives as much money as he wants to whoever he wants." We need objective standards.

"The Coyotes must live" is an objective standard. /sarcasm

Yeah, I don't get the strawman-slaying here. Who said they're boycotting? Who made snide remarks? NAME NAMES. HOUSE UN-HOCKEY ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE.

Didn't mean just here... seeing it all over twitter and Facebook... some people just can't help themselves...

My facebook hockey content overload has been of the WOOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY IS BACK YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY variety, but then again these are casuals. They don't understand that to be a hockey fan is to be perpetually aggrieved and annoyed.

Seems to be the sentiment running through my Facebook feed as well. But it's not from casuals. Regardless however it sickens me. The NHL will not suffer any loss in attendance or revenue because of this long term and when 2020 comes around they'll just lockout again because there's no reason they shouldn't lockout.

I for one will not be giving them a dime for a few years. The minors on the other hand, I had never watched regularly before this but will definitely be continuing to follow and support financially.

Oh there's not a doubt in my mind that they'll win the Cup this year. The entire officiating culture of the game was re-engineered to enable their success, and it would've worked if the Kings hadn't been been just as good at it but with elite talent.

I love multiple 48 game seasons in the space of 20 years

BUT THAT MEANS EACH GAME IS WORTH MORE. THINK OF ALL THE EXCITEMENT. LESS HOCKEY = MORE.

I'm actually expecting "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" to be put on the blue lines.

So the owners get their Proskauer-standard 50/50 split and term/variance limits, but apparently the league minimum is going to inch up to $750,000, and teams can't decline arbitration rewards below $3,500,000.

Considering that this lockout was undertaken with the purpose of total annihilation of labor, and they didn't get it, you really have to say Bettman and Batterman lost.

A honorable mention goes off to the 3 people who didn't stop believing!

poll.png

Technically the 22 were right. That poll is from 2012. :)

And... yay hockey? We'll see. I find it interesting that most fans I see on Twitter will forgive everything for free Center Ice. Fans wouldn't fare well in negotiations of this nature.

Archived