Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

The problem with demanding the world for Nash is that eventually teams are going to stop offering the continents and oceans they've been offering so far. Other than merely having the rights to his contract, Columbus has very little leverage: squatting on him any further with a bad roster and bereft farm system will not cause the team to get better. I base this on a body of evidence no smaller than, oh, I dunno, Rick Nash's entire tenure with the Beej. You're not going to get an equivalent player, nor a collection of players who hypothetically add up to an equivalent player. They can get some pretty good roster players and some decent to good prospects, and this should be acceptable. Alternatively, this organization can keep spinning its wheels in the Rick-Nash-and-some-other-dudes rut indefinitely and see where that takes them.

Having Nash sitting at home would likely result in more 50 point seasons... and thus, more draft picks. :P

What's really sad is the fact that we all sat here when they made the playoffs and talked all about how young the team was, how much upside they had and how much better they could get. :censored: us.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw somewhere that the Wings' offer was Fil, Nyquist, and a 1st for Nash. If that's true, I'm glad Howson is an idiot. Nyquist is on my no-trade list if I'm the Wings, he's got some promise. Fil is a good player too, and we'd be handing out more picks for moderately good guys (like Quincey). I'm not sure what Holland was thinking if that's the case. But again, it's Twitter. So who knows.

Also read that if Nashville doesn't match, Philly gives up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder for Weber. Yikes.

So Preds have 7 days to match 14 years/100 Million. Is the Gaylord Bridgestone Arena even worth that?

How in bloody hell can the Flyers do this, when they're paying the Yakov Smirnoff, his weight in Smirnoff. I don't understand Hockey economics anymore, really I never did. RIP!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I saw somewhere that the Wings' offer was Fil, Nyquist, and a 1st for Nash. If that's true, I'm glad Howson is an idiot. Nyquist is on my no-trade list if I'm the Wings, he's got some promise. Fil is a good player too, and we'd be handing out more picks for moderately good guys (like Quincey). I'm not sure what Holland was thinking if that's the case. But again, it's Twitter. So who knows.

Also read that if Nashville doesn't match, Philly gives up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder for Weber. Yikes.

Fil's got one more year on his deal, though, right? Why would the Jackets want a 28-year old with one year on his contract?

6fQjS3M.png

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Sounds like they came up just short of four firsts if the hit is 7.1 as reported.

This looks great for the WE NO HAS MONEY camp as we head into negotiations!

How in bloody hell can the Flyers do this

LTIR Pronger forever

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wonder if Brian Burke is going to kick Paul Holmgren's ass for disrespecting The Game like this. Quick, someone go prep a barn!

Don't get your hopes up. Other than committing long-term to Mike Richards and then dumping him, committing long-term to Jeff Carter and then dumping him, signing Chris Pronger to a circumventional contract that failed to circumvent because he was 35, and dumping money on Ilya Bryzgalov to wilt under pressure, the Flyers have a pretty good track record as of late with big contracts.

Nash isn't even good! At this point if it's a decent offer take it Columbus!

You really want a 32-year old as the centerpiece of a deal for Nash? I highly doubt if asked the same thing a year ago, you would've said "Nash isn't even good." He's by far and away the best player the franchise has ever had, and if the 2010 Olympics wasn't a prime example of what he could do with talent around him, I don't think there is one. He's a very good player that in the right setting could be a great player.

You really aren't going to tell me Brandon Dubinsky's ever going to be as good as Nash, right?

Since like 2005 I've been saying Nash isn't good. You cannot build a team around a winger, especially a power winger. It just doesn't work. Personally, I think RJ's a much better player than Nash in the sense that he can score twenty goals and fifty points yearly, but also doesn't play like a total :censored: and actually has heart. I've said for years he should be the captain of this team.

As for Howson, I'm glad he's holding firm on his asking price. I recognize that this city thinks the world of him so we need to get the right return.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Nash isn't even good! At this point if it's a decent offer take it Columbus!

You really want a 32-year old as the centerpiece of a deal for Nash? I highly doubt if asked the same thing a year ago, you would've said "Nash isn't even good." He's by far and away the best player the franchise has ever had, and if the 2010 Olympics wasn't a prime example of what he could do with talent around him, I don't think there is one. He's a very good player that in the right setting could be a great player.

You really aren't going to tell me Brandon Dubinsky's ever going to be as good as Nash, right?

You cannot build a team around a winger, especially a power winger. It just doesn't work.

You're saying right there, though, that you can't say Nash isn't good because trying to do what the Jackets did "doesn't work." C'mon, you're gonna tell me that you were saying Rick Nash wasn't even good when he had 40 goals and 39 assists in carrying this team to the playoffs three years ago?

6fQjS3M.png

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

$1,034,249 ? $1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043 ? $3,134,088: Second-round pick

$3,134,088 ? $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131 ? $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 ? $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Sounds like they came up just short of four firsts if the hit is 7.1 as reported.

This looks great for the WE NO HAS MONEY camp as we head into negotiations!

How in bloody hell can the Flyers do this

LTIR Pronger forever

The maximum divisor that can be used is 5...even if the contract is longer, it can only be divided by 5.

100/5 = 20 million = four 1sts

I'll take it though. Paul Holmgren = evil genius.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

According to Cap Geek, the Flyers payroll with both Pronger and Weber would be $70.2 million, leaving them with $0.00 in cap space.

Also, if Nashville matches, they can't trade Weber for one calendar year.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

My question is (and maybe someone can answer this for me) where does the RFA-aspect of things come into play? It's not like Nashville can match and he's forced to stay there all 14 years on a contract he had no say over, right? So would he just play out this first year of his contract and the league allow him to enter UFA next year?

My question is (and maybe someone can answer this for me) where does the RFA-aspect of things come into play? It's not like Nashville can match and he's forced to stay there all 14 years on a contract he had no say over, right? So would he just play out this first year of his contract and the league allow him to enter UFA next year?

If Nashville matches the only way Weber could be moved via trade after 1 year of service. If not traded, he is there for 14 yrs when he becomes UFA again.

Being an RFA means that the original team can match.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived