Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Trade Nash. Get him out of here. He really doesn't have the heart to win or make things work with what he's has. Jerome Iginla could do it. So could Kovalchuk. How come Nash has never been able to work that out?

Jarone Iginla had a goalie that was elite for a few years along with a decent supporting cast for the majority of his time there. The Flames teams Iginla's gotten have been better than what Nash has had.

Kovalchuk didn't do much more for the Thrashers than Nash for the Jackets. They had one playoff appearance (albeit a division title) and they got swept, exactly like the Blue Jackets. Outside of the one year, Atlanta wasnt all that great. Sounds awfully similar to Nash. Kovalchuk didn't "work it out" until he got to New Jersey where he's had a much better supporting cast, goaltender, and overall system. And it could be said that any of these Devils teams haven't been "Kovalchuk's team".

Thank you. Nobody's saying don't trade Nash. The Jackets just need to get something back for him. Not a couple of 20-somethings that'll be out of town by the time the Jackets have any chance at ever being good again.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is (and maybe someone can answer this for me) where does the RFA-aspect of things come into play? It's not like Nashville can match and he's forced to stay there all 14 years on a contract he had no say over, right? So would he just play out this first year of his contract and the league allow him to enter UFA next year?

Well he still had to agree to the offer sheet and sign the contract, so I would think that he had some say. He signed it knowing that there is a chance that Nashville will match it and he will be there for the long run.

My question is (and maybe someone can answer this for me) where does the RFA-aspect of things come into play? It's not like Nashville can match and he's forced to stay there all 14 years on a contract he had no say over, right? So would he just play out this first year of his contract and the league allow him to enter UFA next year?

Well he still had to agree to the offer sheet and sign the contract, so I would think that he had some say. He signed it knowing that there is a chance that Nashville will match it and he will be there for the long run.

Yeah but his agent is all over the radio saying he doesnt want to go back to Nashville, but unfortunately its not really up to him.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I wonder how well The Nashville Way, that oh-so-lauded Nashville Way, of continuously pumping out the Putty Patrol to take up both roster space and rink space around Weber and Suter will work without Weber and Suter. Maybe this is finally Martin Erat's time to shine brighter than the sun itself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This reminds me of the year the Sabres lost Briere and Drury on July 1. While the team and the fans were still reeling, the Oilers signed RFA Thomas Vanek to a (then) crazy deal. Any other year, I think the Sabres probably would've let Vanek go, but the fans would've crucified team management.

If the Preds match, it may destroy the franchise. If the Preds don't match, it may destroy the franchise.

Better off letting him go. They've had tons of players come and go and no one seems to mind because everyone down there is all "In Trotz We Trust" and totally complacent with how that thing just keeps chugging along. After all, this is officially the Eighth Is Enough era, and all that will be expected from most markets is that you hover around the playoff cutoff and end up on the right side of it, so it's not like Nashville demands elite talent, nor do the Predators require it to run their lukewarm-death system. There's just not enough money to be made selling hockey in Nashville to pay Shea Weber that much. They're barely a break-even operation as it is.

Yandle and Ekman-Larsson aren't elite yet, but they're trending toward it. The Predators largely consist of warm bodies, unless you think considerably more of Hal Gill, David Legwand, and the Kostitsyns than I do.

This reminds me of the year the Sabres lost Briere and Drury on July 1. While the team and the fans were still reeling, the Oilers signed RFA Thomas Vanek to a (then) crazy deal. Any other year, I think the Sabres probably would've let Vanek go, but the fans would've crucified team management.

If the Preds match, it may destroy the franchise. If the Preds don't match, it may destroy the franchise.

I like Vanek but I think they could've let him walk that year too. Yeah, the team in hindsight could've been even worse then they were. At worst they could've had the first pick in the draft. This was (if I am recalling it correctly) the 07-08 season, if they did hold the first pick that year, could've had Stephen Stamkos. I think getting him, knowing what we know now about him, would've made up for losing Vanek on top of Briere and Drury.

On the Predators though, they are in damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If you don't match the Flyers offer and lose Weber (on top of Suter). You lose arguably the best blue line duo in the league currently. If do match, (depending on where they are cap wise) you are gonna have to move some players around.

:censored: Kevin Lowe.

I wonder how well The Nashville Way, that oh-so-lauded Nashville Way, of continuously pumping out the Putty Patrol to take up both roster space and rink space around Weber and Suter will work without Weber and Suter. Maybe this is finally Martin Erat's time to shine brighter than the sun itself.

The only thing they have going for them is that they have the wife husband of Carrie Underwood...

Without Weber, their defense becomes:

Gill-Klein

Josi-Laakso

Ellis-Blum

Two rookies, two sophomores, and two third pairing defensemen! Disgusting.

... At least they'll get MacKinnon.

The only thing they have going for them is that they have the wife husband of Carrie Underwood...

Without Weber, their defense becomes:

Gill-Klein

Josi-Laakso

Ellis-Blum

Two rookies, two sophomores, and two third pairing defensemen! Disgusting.

... At least they'll get MacKinnon.

Not if Pekka Rinne and Barry Trotz have anything to say about it.

On top of trading a good ol' Western Canadian boy for an American in JVR, the Leafs have signed another American to (assumingly) replace Ontario boy Mike Zigomanis.

DON CHERRY SUICIDE DANGER: HIGH

(No, I did not actually think this signing was worthy of posting here. I did, however, want to make the Don Cherry point.)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

On top of trading a good ol' Western Canadian boy for an American in JVR, the Leafs have signed another American to (assumingly) replace Ontario boy Mike Zigomanis.

Who?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Who?

Keith Aucoin. He could just be a replacement for Dupuis, but I don't see them keeping Zigomanis.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Who?

Keith Aucoin. He could just be a replacement for Dupuis, but I don't see them keeping Zigomanis.

He's not a replacement for Dupuis. 70 points in 43 games (Aucoin) is a bit more impressive than 31 points in 42 games (Dupuis)

He's an assist machine that brings a Calder Cup championship and loads of playoff experience. FANTASTIC signing by Burke.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived