Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Is it? They're not an elite team yet. They're mired in the same turtle derby as the rest of the conference. Moreover, they spent all this money on two players so they could have a team about as good as the San Jose Sharks, just in time for ownership to cry poor for CBA negotiations and demand that teams stop being allowed to offer and sign the very contracts they just offered and signed, which will lead to a labor impasse that will likely stop the newly-pseudo-competitive Wild from even fielding a team this year in the first place. If I were a Wild fan, I wouldn't be all that happy, but of course I'm never all that happy about anything with hockey.

453x378px-LL-d0e756a9_453px-You_dont_say.png

i'm not going to lie, but i did get a chuckle out of that.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think its time to pick out a European team. KHL anybody?

Stupid Question: Would the AHL and the ECHL be locked out also?

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

At least I'll have an AHL team and a bunch of junior teams around where I live.

***Insert: "The drop-off in talent won't be big at all for you!" joke here***

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

20 years and 2 (possibly 3) lockouts? Who the hell actually thinks keeping this :censored:heel is a good idea?

His bosses, the owners.

Well I think its time to pick out a European team. KHL anybody?

Stupid Question: Would the AHL and the ECHL be locked out also?

No, last lockout a lot of the younger players had to report to the AHL farm clubs as they were under contract. Alexander Semin did not report to Portland (stayed in Russia) and got summarily suspended and reinstated the 2nd year after the lockout.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

20 years and 2 (possibly 3) lockouts? Who the hell actually thinks keeping this :censored:heel is a good idea?

I stated this a couple of months ago, and I will state it now: if one game is canceled from the schedule, Bettman should step down. Stern is a better commish then him and I absolutely hate Stern.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

"The fundamental proposal, our initial proposal, relates to the fact that we need to be paying out less in player costs,"

With an escalating cap due to escalating revenue, player costs are going to increase, Gary. It doesnt take an economics major to figure that one out. Not to mention, your employers, the owners, also employ general managers who will use every loophole to their advantage to circumvent that salary cap you argued so vociferously for in the last lockout. How many GMs have been fired for circumventing the cap to gain a monetary advantage? That number is zero, Gary.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The numerous owners who had their best years on the books in 2004-05.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh hey I hope Bettman tries to say that this lockout will be necessary to help our noble small-market teams, except that it's the marginal markets who have the most to lose from such a lack of momentum. The diehards will stick it out as they always do to some extent (and even I'm not renewing Gamecenter until I know there will be games), but it's going to be out of sight/out of mind for everyone else in places like Phoenix, Miami, and Raleigh, where there are other sports to like and other things to do while the NHL is bending over backwards to make them happy. What irony.

The only cornerstone market that's really going to take it in the ass with a lockout is Detroit, because they're supposed to have that one big game in that one big place, and cancelling it because the Dallas Stars lose too much money would be about as much of a critical blow as the NHL could take there.

If the OWNER'S (not Bettman) lock out the players, it will only be be avoid a strike by the PA in March (when the players have received 80%+ of their salaries). It took MLB longer to recover from the 1994-95 strike then it took the NHL to recover from the 2004-05 lockout. Since then there have been lockouts in the NHL, NFL & NBA but no strikes. Owners will never let a players' union play the "Let's play a year under the old CBA" card unless they get a binding no-strike agreement from them, especially one run by Donald Fehr. Like it or not lockouts are less bad for business than strikes.

That may be so, but if it is, it's because the leverage lies with ownership rather than labor, so of course it's better for them. To the public at large, a work stoppage is a work stoppage, irrespective of who initiates it. The reason the baseball strike was so devastating was not because it was in and of itself a strike, but because it cancelled a World Series for the first time in ninety years and because of intangibles relating to the position that baseball holds in American culture. Relying as it does on more factors than the NHL does, the economy of baseball is bigger, and so it fell harder. I would submit that if the stoppage had instead been initiated by Selig and Reinsdorf, themselves no public darlings for their part in the collusion scandal, it could've taken twice as long for baseball to recover.

Oh hey I hope Bettman tries to say that this lockout will be necessary to help our noble small-market teams

The small market teams ARE getting hosed right now. The salary cap might as well not exist at all. The Shea Weber offer sheet was done because the Flyers thought they could afford it and the Predators couldn't. That kind of poaching is exactly what a salary cap is supposed to stop, except thanks to the loophole of signing bonuses and ridiculous contract lengths that allow you to pay players a TON more than what their cap hit is, the cap means nothing.

Of course, where this all falls apart is that the correct answer to the problem is to increase revenue sharing, not make insane demands about cutting the amount of hockey revenue that the players get.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived