Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I wound up canceling my New Years trip to see family and the WC. Say bye bye to the season...

How does Bettman still have a job?

Because he is doing exactly what his bosses want him to

This.

For the umpteenth time, if the owners wanted to play hockey tomorrow, there'd be hockey tomorrow. He gets told what to do by the men who pay him. That simple.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

"I don't understand both the speculation and the degree of negativity that it connotes considering we, meaning the League and the Players' Association, have yet to have a substantive discussion on what we may each be looking for in Collective Bargaining. If somebody is suggesting it, it's either because there's something in the water, people still have the NBA and NFL on the brain, or they're just looking for news on a slow day. It is nothing more than speculation at this point. There can't be any substance to it because there haven't been any substantive conversations."

or to summarize,

"I don't understand both the speculation that we have yet to have a substantive discussion on what we may each be looking for in Collective Bargaining. If somebody is suggesting it, it's nothing more than speculation at this point. There can't be any substance to it because there haven't been any substantive conversations."

to summarize the summary

"I don't understand both the speculation that we have yet to have a substantive discussion. There can't be any substance to it because there haven't been any substantive conversations."

I give you the mastermind behind the 2012-13 lockout. Gary Bettman is either too evil to be in charge of the NHL or too stupid. I see no other alternatives at this point. Will someone cheer me up and repost the thing about the hotel reservations?

nhl94vansigpng.png

they're just looking for news on a slow day.

Goddamn New York is underwater and you're sneaking the de facto cancellation of the season out while everyone is worried about that. Slow day, f you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Glad I wound up canceling my New Years trip to see family and the WC. Say bye bye to the season...

How does Bettman still have a job?

Because he is doing exactly what his bosses want him to

This.

For the umpteenth time, if the owners wanted to play hockey tomorrow, there'd be hockey tomorrow. He gets told what to do by the men who pay him. That simple.

Check this article out: http://www.nytimes.c...mmissioner.html

Bettman's mission is simple: Put a stop to labor unrest; sell the product in television's mainstream marketplace; change the violent image of the game; curb salary inflation; force enlightened self-interest on reluctant, old-fashioned owners; expand contacts with European developmental leagues and markets; settle the divisive issue of possible Olympic involvement, and help launch several new expansion teams.

I'd say he's doing a pretty :censored:ty job.

I haven't read this thread at all, so I apologize if the following is a retread.

The owners themselves did not want to even offer a 50/50 revenue split. Bettman offered this to try and get more talks going or best case scenario, get this whole thing resolved. So it's really, really hard for me to believe he doesn't have (at least in this case) the best interest of the NHL game at heart.

You guys don't have to trust me of course, but the individual I got this info from would definitely be in the know. He's not an owner or player but is certainly affected by there not being an NHL season. Actually it's quite interesting reading the news releases on the lockout and then hearing from the players and third parties how it works in real time.

Check this article out: http://www.nytimes.c...mmissioner.html

Bettman's mission is simple: Put a stop to labor unrest; sell the product in television's mainstream marketplace; change the violent image of the game; curb salary inflation; force enlightened self-interest on reluctant, old-fashioned owners; expand contacts with European developmental leagues and markets; settle the divisive issue of possible Olympic involvement, and help launch several new expansion teams.

I'd say he's doing a pretty :censored:ty job.

First, a newspaper article from 1993 is really worthless at evaluating the current situation, and second, if those are your metrics, Bettman accomplished all of them except the part about labor unrest

1zgyd8w.jpg

I can't believe anyone is defending the job he's doing right now. This is the 4th lockout under his watch. Regardless of which "side" he's on, his ultimate job is to keep the league operating. And he is certainly not doing that.

http://www.proskauer.../bob-batterman/

Bob is a senior member of our nationally recognized Sports Law Group, serving as labor counsel to the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer and the National Football League. He has extensive experience in collective bargaining and related litigation in connection with players and officials, and in various employment law matters.

. . .

Long before “corporate campaigns” became the tactic of choice for unions seeking either representational rights without the risk of a secret ballot election or to force a collective bargaining settlement which they could not achieve either through bargaining or on the picket line, Bob was involved in creating counter-campaigns and the defensive strategizing necessary to neutralize this tactic. Today, after numerous campaigns, Bob’s strategic insights and organizational skills are often sought to assist clients and their teams of consultants and advisors navigate through the smokescreen generated by a union movement seeking to reformulate and reinvigorate itself.

"Both sides are equally wrong."

-- Paste-Eaters

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You guys have commitment to stay with a league that kicks you in the nads so much. It kind of makes me want to become a hockey fan but since I refuse to root for another Dolan team (Rangers) or root for a team playing in Barclays (Islanders) as well as my ineptitude at ice skating I will pass. Besides I already have Darth Vader in Stern about to leave, I do not want to now worry about Lord Sidious (Bettman).

Still I may check out a few games if I am curious.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

http://www.proskauer.../bob-batterman/

Bob is a senior member of our nationally recognized Sports Law Group, serving as labor counsel to the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer and the National Football League. He has extensive experience in collective bargaining and related litigation in connection with players and officials, and in various employment law matters.

. . .

Long before “corporate campaigns” became the tactic of choice for unions seeking either representational rights without the risk of a secret ballot election or to force a collective bargaining settlement which they could not achieve either through bargaining or on the picket line, Bob was involved in creating counter-campaigns and the defensive strategizing necessary to neutralize this tactic. Today, after numerous campaigns, Bob’s strategic insights and organizational skills are often sought to assist clients and their teams of consultants and advisors navigate through the smokescreen generated by a union movement seeking to reformulate and reinvigorate itself.

"Both sides are equally wrong."

-- Paste-Eaters

The way the quoted paragraphs here are read, conveys an Enzyte commercial.

Archived