Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it Admiral or Lee who predicted that the same draconian negotiating practices would bleed out to other industries? After reading the hostess stories that about everyone mucked up my facebook wall with, I saw a lot of parallels. And now there are almost a thousand people out of work because of it. At least those now out-of-work factory workers don't have sponsors that Hostess can demand they pay back. Of course, they can't just go and make Swedish or Russian twinkies in the meantime.

At least with the NHL negotiations, most people see the owners as the bad guys. Every story and most of the comments I've read are painting the union as the villains in this.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Was it Admiral or Lee who predicted that the same draconian negotiating practices would bleed out to other industries? After reading the hostess stories that about everyone mucked up my facebook wall with, I saw a lot of parallels. And now there are almost a thousand people out of work because of it. At least those now out-of-work factory workers don't have sponsors that Hostess can demand they pay back. Of course, they can't just go and make Swedish or Russian twinkies in the meantime.

At least with the NHL negotiations, most people see the owners as the bad guys. Every story and most of the comments I've read are painting the union as the villains in this.

Actually it's 18,500 people who are now out of work because of the strike at Hostess that killed the company. As for the union being painted as the bad guys in the Hostess thing. Hard to see how they're not. They struck, Hostess was in bad shape and needed to cut back on spending including on workers. The workers didn't care and now they've paid the price, sad as it is. That's not to say mgmt didn't make mistakes that partially led the company being in trouble. But fact is they were also suffering from changes to the market and the economy.

Actually it's 18,500 people who are now out of work because of the strike at Hostess that killed the company. As for the union being painted as the bad guys in the Hostess thing. Hard to see how they're not. They struck, Hostess was in bad shape and needed to cut back on spending including on workers. The workers didn't care and now they've paid the price, sad as it is. That's not to say mgmt didn't make mistakes that partially led the company being in trouble. But fact is they were also suffering from changes to the market and the economy.

The Unions agreed to one round of painful bloodletting less than a decade ago. I'm not terribly receptive to future insistence on bloodletting in such a short timeframe-especially when the ones doing the insisting are hedge fund managers who have no idea how to run anything besides an etrade account and a spreadsheet.

Remember-the timeline here is bankruptcy THEN strike. Not the other way around.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm starting to like Ian White even more for his off-ice actions than what he does on the ice:

RE: Bettman,

"I gotta be honest: I personally think he's an idiot. Since he's come in, I think he's done nothing but damage the game. If you think of all the moves he's made, teams that are all struggling seem to be the teams that he put in places where there's not viable markets for hockey. Three work stoppages -- I don't know if he's in control of the owners or what he's saying, but I think it's only seven of the owners that have to agree on something to have something pass. You'd think it'd be at least 50%. It just doesn't seem like they're running a democratic process, if you will."

"The whole process has just been frustrating. I think, just where we stand now, you'd think that we're close to making a deal if they're willing to come a little bit our way. It's something that could have been done even in the summer. So it's frustrating. There's just absolutely no need to be missing games and doing this kind of damage."

Full article here: http://www.freep.com...RTS05/121116047

Was it Admiral or Lee who predicted that the same draconian negotiating practices would bleed out to other industries?

It was The Nation., but I posted it here, yes.

At least with the NHL negotiations, most people see the owners as the bad guys.

The biggest hockey forum on the internet begs to differ. These jerks didn't even graduate high school. They should be lucky to have a job!

Wal-Mart employees, generally agreed to be the most put-upon part-time workers in America, are arranging a walkout for National Buy Crap Day. RIP forever, labor sympathy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The biggest hockey forum on the internet begs to differ. These jerks didn't even graduate high school. They should be lucky to have a job!

Wal-Mart employees, generally agreed to be the most put-upon part-time workers in America, are arranging a walkout for National Buy Crap Day. RIP forever, labor sympathy.

I prefer to carry on the fantasy that HF doesn't exist. It's a happier life that way.

I wish I wasn't so cynical so that I couldn't believe that the most anti-union and anti-labor standards company since the sausage company in "The Jungle" is encouraging their employees to forever kill sympathy for laborers.

What was your take on the Reddit AMA by the alleged NHL team executive?

nhl94vansigpng.png

Someone started a petition on the White House website where all the whack-jobs are petitioning for secession asking the Obama administration to step in and mediate the NHL CBA dispute. I thought it was funny that the petition preceding the NHL one wants to "ban the practice of circumcising individuals under the age of 18." And if you're scoring at home, the circumcision ban is beating the NHL petition, 710 signatures to 411. 25,000 signatures are required to get an official response.

I wish I wasn't so cynical so that I couldn't believe that the most anti-union and anti-labor standards company since the sausage company in "The Jungle" is encouraging their employees to forever kill sympathy for laborers.

Oh, you're kidding yourself if you don't think they're happy to ride that wave of mild consumer inconvenience all the way to crushing the last vestiges of pro-union sentiment forever.

What was your take on the Reddit AMA by the alleged NHL team executive?

"Reddit" is a misnomer inasmuch I have never been able to say that I've successfully completed any substantial thread there.

As for the union being painted as the bad guys in the Hostess thing. Hard to see how they're not. They struck, Hostess was in bad shape and needed to cut back on spending including on workers. The workers didn't care and now they've paid the price, sad as it is. That's not to say mgmt didn't make mistakes that partially led the company being in trouble. But fact is they were also suffering from changes to the market and the economy.

Riiiiiight.

(Union) members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.

Over the past 15 months, Hostess workers have seen the company unilaterally end contractually-obligated payments to their pension plan. Despite saving more than $160 million with this action, the company continues to fall deeper and deeper into debt.

Yep, the union members are definitely the bad guys here. Just like the hockey lockout is totally the fault of the greedy players.

It's cool to bleed abstract political gripes via a goddamn snack-cake thread into a hockey discussion, right?

RIGHT?!?

NkF13.gif

/meta mod

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So long as the major sports leagues are joining forces to smash their unions with a consolidated strategy, so long as people are falling for the "both sides are equally to blame!" tactic, then discussion of labor practices is as relevant on this thread as color theory is on the thread about the Cardinals' new alternate jersey.

Crazy conspiracy theory: All this Blue Jays spending somehow can be tied back to Gary Bettman trying to divert media attention in Toronto from the lockout.

Naw, he hasn't asked for a Team Management Fee™ yet.

Uncut dicks look vaguely like aardvark snouts. NHL petition should win this one going away.

You do realize that means the human junk is meant to look like an aardvark snout right? As for the NHL petition, I'm sure it'll be ignored just like all those retards asking for succession will be ignored.

Uncut dicks look vaguely like aardvark snouts. NHL petition should win this one going away.

You do realize that means the human junk is meant to look like an aardvark snout right?

900_1209699047820_350_200.jpg

It's like a Doberman. Let it have its ears.

Archived