Ozzie Guillen

bucknut40

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially in South Beach with a big Cuban population, this will have huge ramification.

Exactly anywhere else it is not as big of story, but when you do it in Miami I wonder what is he thinking

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Oh, Ozzie Guillen said something off-color? Shocking.

This guy doesn't bow down to anybody, always says what's on his mind. There's something to be said for that. Baseball needs more character guys like him. Let him talk. So he likes Fidel, great. He's not Hitler and McCarthy kicked the bucket a long time ago, who cares?

It doesn't matter that Castro isn't Hitler. You'd have to be a complete drunken idiot, which it so happens that Ozzie Guillen is, to go to Miami and say "Fidel Castro was great." It's not as bad as "Hitler had some good ideas" or whatever MargeSchott90 said, but it's still incredibly tone-deaf considering they hired Ozzie Guillen to draw Hispanic fans and he just alienated the largest Hispanic minority in Miami.

While I agree that baseball needs more colorful characters, I don't know that it really needs Ozzie anymore. Ozzie fails to make the distinction between Telling It Like It Is and just rattling off whatever is going through his head at a given moment. One is fun, the other just wears your ass out after a while.

The interesting wild card here is that even though the Marlins really sought him out, they're still run by Jeff Loria, who literally fired Joe Girardi for looking at him the wrong way. He doesn't have his make-believe daddy Reinsdorf to mollycoddle him and gladly suffer his foolishness anymore. I won't be shocked if he can't finish out the year and just goes away forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ozzie Guillen has no filter and he is often putting his foot in his mouth, but I think what he said just came out wrong and if the Marlins want a good manager they will let it roll past them as Ozzie being Ozzie. He has spoken out against Chavez in the past so I dont think he really loves Castro any way.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I tend to think that the context of what Ozzie said may have been lost. Either TIME Magazine misquoted, he made a mistake using his second language or his sarcasm was lost somewhere from interview to print. It wouldn't be the first time someone said something off color in a sarcastic way and it being lost in print.

The only thing that I could see Ozzie Guillen being guilty of was being politically incorrect. As long as its not racist or derogatory I don't think anyone should be suspended or fined for making a comment like that.

I would also say see Magglio Ordonez if you want to hear about somebody making controversial political statements.

I think he was probably trying to say something that the Miami Cuban population would approve of, but forgot to consider why Miami Cubans aren't Cuban Cubans anymore.

I'm sure a lot of Cubans still in Cuba love Castro, but the ones that left are for the most part anti-Castro. Not exclusively, but for the most part. I'm going to just write this off as Ozzie being ignorant.

There also seems to be quite a gulf between what Americans think of Castro and Cuba and what other countries (especially Canada) think of Cuba. I dated a girl for almost 3 years whose father was born and raised in Cuba, and not only has he never said anything bad about being there, but they trained him as a pilot. For free. My sister's mother-in-law also remarried to a Cuban man about ten years ago, and goes to Cuba twice a year to visit his family and friends for weeks at a time. The people there might not have all the amenities of Canada or the US, but they are quite happy. The stresses of life are so much less in Cuba; you don't have to ever worry about where your next meal is coming from, or if you can afford to put your kids through school. that appeals to some people, and doesn't appeal to others. The ones who don't like it leave, which is why the Miami Cubans are so anti-Castro.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

It doesn't matter that Castro isn't Hitler. You'd have to be a complete drunken idiot, which it so happens that Ozzie Guillen is, to go to Miami and say "Fidel Castro was great."

if Guillen had said that.

Which he didn't.

I happen to think that the guy's a clown, but let's keep what he said in context.

And people are surprised by this why?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived