Ozzie Guillen

bucknut40

It's amazing how easy it is to create a :censored: storm in the US. It is pretty admirable to survive as long as Fidel Castro has, especially given the attention the CIA was paying him in the 60s.

It's "admirable?" I'll buy amazing, astounding, remarkable, stunning, etc. but "admirable?" Sorry. There's nothing at all "admirable" about it. And while I'm at it, it's a good thing for you that the U.S. does buy in to the occasional :censored:-storm. If we didn't, you'd be typing your posts in German.

:D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how easy it is to create a :censored: storm in the US. It is pretty admirable to survive as long as Fidel Castro has, especially given the attention the CIA was paying him in the 60s.

It's "admirable?" I'll buy amazing, astounding, remarkable, stunning, etc. but "admirable?" Sorry. There's nothing at all "admirable" about it. And while I'm at it, it's a good thing for you that the U.S. does buy in to the occasional :censored:-storm. If we didn't, you'd be typing your posts in German.

Not to be picky, but nowhere did the Nazi's invade a country and insist people spoke German. And really, your comparing the invasion of Western Europe with a Baseball manager shooting his mouth off? Really??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Not to be picky, but nowhere did the Nazi's invade a country and insist people spoke German. And really, your comparing the invasion of Western Europe with a Baseball manager shooting his mouth off? Really??

Are you defending a communist monster who has killed his own people and ground his population into dust?

Really??

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It was a metaphor but if it will make you happy, I'll be more specific. If the U.S. doesn't buy in to the occasional :censored:-storm, you'd be living in a German state, colony, territory, whatever you want to call it. Buckingham Palace would be the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. And you'd be working at whatever job the state assigned to you. What language you'd be speaking is really irrelevant.

Look down your nose at us all you want. Have a laugh over how easy it is to create a :censored: storm in the US. Just never forget for one second how many of our silly, reactionary citizens gave their lives to save your Kingdom's ass and to make sure you have the right to be a snooty contrarian.

And for the record, it wasn't a comparison. It was a response to your :censored:-storm comment.

BB52Big.jpg

There really isn't anyone in recent history who has remained in power for as long as Castro, whilst being opposed so closely by a Superpower.

And you find that admirable?

No. He just likes going against the grain around here. He knows it's the only way we'll pay any attention to him.

BB52Big.jpg

Are you defending a communist monster who has killed his own people and ground his population into dust?

Really??

No I am not! Nothing I have said is meant as a defence of his policies.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You admire any aspect of the man, by extension you admire the way he got to be the man. You don't get to cherry pick. Castro's remarkable ability to stay alive wouldn't be an issue were it not for the circumstances that lead to him needing to stay alive in the first place. You can claim you aren't defending his policies, and you may not be, but to admire any part of what Castro is, is to admire the many other parts that made him what he is. That, my contrarian friend, is why it's not as simple as just "getting over" Ozzie Guillen's statements.

BB52Big.jpg

You admire any aspect of the man, by extension you admire the way he got to be the man. You don't get to cherry pick. Castro's remarkable ability to stay alive wouldn't be an issue were it not for the circumstances that lead to him needing to stay alive in the first place. You can claim you aren't defending his policies, and you may not be, but to admire any part of what Castro is, is to admire the many other parts that made him what he is. That, my contrarian friend, is why it's not as simple as just "getting over" Ozzie Guillen's statements.

Well I disagree with the sentiment. I think it's possible to admire a particular part of someone's personality without admiring the whole.

I find it a bit odd that in the land of free speech a guy can get suspended for making the statement Guillen did. Is it a challenging statement? For sure. Does it affect his ability to do his job? No.

Heck even the Pope saw fit to meet Fidel. I personally think it's long past time the US started to positively engage with Cuba again.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

"Free speech" doesn't enter into the discussion at all. There's no Constitutional protection against a private employer punishing you for saying something that they don't like.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

"Free speech" doesn't enter into the discussion at all. There's no Constitutional protection against a private employer punishing you for saying something that they don't like.

I didn't say there was. But the US has always stood for freedom of speech above almost all other things. I didn't say Guillen should seek recourse in the courts, simply that it seems ridiculous to me to suspend him for saying something that has nothing to do with his job, especially in the supposed land of the free.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I find it a bit odd that in the land of free speech a guy can get suspended for making the statement Guillen did.

And I find it a bit odd that someone who used to love to (wrongly) lecture us on our own Constitution has no idea how the 1st Amendment truly works. It only applies to matters involving the federal government. While an employee has every right to make themselves look ignorant in the public eye, their private employer has an equal right to punish or fire them for it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well I disagree with the sentiment. I think it's possible to admire a particular part of someone's personality without admiring the whole.

I find it a bit odd that in the land of free speech a guy can get suspended for making the statement Guillen did. Is it a challenging statement? For sure. Does it affect his ability to do his job? No.

Heck even the Pope saw fit to meet Fidel. I personally think it's long past time the US started to positively engage with Cuba again.

The only way he has stayed in power, which is what you admire, is by being and ruthless, murderous S.O.B. That's it. No other reason. So as long as he's able to stay in power (yes, I know technically his brother is "President" now, but we all know who really runs things), it doesn't matter how he does it. That's basically what you're saying.

I didn't say there was. But the US has always stood for freedom of speech above almost all other things. I didn't say Guillen should seek recourse in the courts, simply that it seems ridiculous to me to suspend him for saying something that has nothing to do with his job, especially in the supposed land of the free.

They play in Miami (Little Havana neighborhood to be precise). Their local community is greatly made up of Cubans and Cuban-Americans who had to flee Castro to survive. THESE are the people they are banking on to show up to their games, spend money and thus, make their team, or their business, a success. His comments have everything to do with his job.

Free speech protects you from any criminal charges. Guillen wasn't arrested for what he said. He was suspended by his employer, who wants no affiliation with Guillen's comments. Trying to say Guillen shouldn't be suspended because of freedom of speech isn't really pertinent.

Just because the Pope met up with Fidel doesn't mean the Pope admires the man. That's a terrible assumption.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I find it a bit odd that in the land of free speech a guy can get suspended for making the statement Guillen did.

And I find it a bit odd that someone who used to love to (wrongly) lecture us on our own Constitution has no idea how the 1st Amendment truly works. It only applies to

matters involving the federal government. While an employee has every right to make themselves look ignorant in the public eye, their private employer has an equal right to punish or fire them for it.

It's like when David Stern fines people ridiculous amounts for criticizing refs. It's very stupid that he does it, but it is completely in his power to do so. Also look at Hank Williams last football season. For example, Obama couldn't punish him for saying what he did, but it was in ESPN's power to punish him as they see fit.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

And the Florida-Cuban community would do well to get over its anti Castro paranoia. (Though I understand for, particularly, the older members of said community, that is not such an easy thing to do.)

Unless you're part of a community like this that's suffered at the hands of a man or government you have no right to suggest they "get over it." It's kind of arrogant on your part, as an outsider, to suggest that you know better then the people affected. Any healing is going to take time, on their own time. Maybe it's already begun. If so great, but they'll get there at their own pace.

Meh. Batista was just as brutal as Castro (if not more so) only where Castro on occasion showed interest in things that might have boosted the overall quality of life for the Cuban citizenry, such as health care, Batista would have focused on making things better for large US corporations and businesses. And hiring more death squads. The older members are here primarily because they backed Batista, and therefore I do not have sympathy for what happened to them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh wow did this thread sure grow since last I checked in!

Saintsfan, how do you repeatedly and continuously find yourself on the wrong side of issues? Is there a map?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It most certainly does. The distraction caused by his comments can affect the team in many ways. Not the least of which is the attendance drop that's sure to follow if the Marlins don't fire him. As I said earlier, we can dismiss this as "Ozzie being Ozzie" but it's not going to go away in a week or two. I'm still betting he doesn't survive this.

And what's "challenging" about his statements? Are we supposed to be "challenged" into debating the merits Fidel Castro in order to find what's "admirable" about him? It's a non-starter. Only an idiot would profess their admiration for a dictator and then follow it up by trying to rationalize that admiration. Take from that what you will.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived