2012-13 soccer kits

Saintsfan

"The club?s trademark white shorts and black socks carry a stylish red trim."

As I suspected, it looks better on. Socks are nice. Don't like the trim on the shorts. Still prefer last years by a long shot.

mufc-104363.jpg

mufc-104365.jpg

mufc-104366.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The clubs trademark white shorts and black socks carry a stylish red trim."

As I suspected, it looks better on. Socks are nice. Don't like the trim on the shorts. Still prefer last years by a long shot.

mufc-104363.jpg

That's gorgeous. Wow.

Instantly, my favorite Man U shirt. Very jealous.

Is that Simeon Jackson? If so, he looks much better in yellow. *heh*

It's a throwback of sorts, so I suppose you can't really judge it based on aesthetics... but the big red leaf on the blue looks kinda ugly.

Also, why is the "we bought a polo and some shorts at the store and put some logos on it" look so "gorgeous"?

Because it has a great deal of simplicity. It's not fussy. It's wearable. It's appropriate for the game. There's nothing on it that's offensive, design-wise. The only people who don't like it are those who need their uniforms to be 'exciting' in order to play or watch.

Don't get me wrong, it does look classy. But I don't exactly see it as a pinnacle of design. "Oooh, look, we put a logo on a plain shirt! Aren't we awesome?" Eh.

There's a middle ground, isn't there?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Seeing that United jersey paired with the socks and shorts makes it look a lot better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's a throwback of sorts, so I suppose you can't really judge it based on aesthetics... but the big red leaf on the blue looks kinda ugly.

Also, why is the "we bought a polo and some shorts at the store and put some logos on it" look so "gorgeous"?

Because it has a great deal of simplicity. It's not fussy. It's wearable. It's appropriate for the game. There's nothing on it that's offensive, design-wise. The only people who don't like it are those who need their uniforms to be 'exciting' in order to play or watch.

Don't get me wrong, it does look classy. But I don't exactly see it as a pinnacle of design. "Oooh, look, we put a logo on a plain shirt! Aren't we awesome?" Eh.

It's not the pinnacle of design because it doesn't need to be, and I think design teams like the one at Umbro recognize that. It's not saying, "Aren't we awesome?" Rather, it's saying, We're serious about this, and we get the job done in a concise, quality-assured and authoritative manner. This is football, and this is how it's done." Props to them for standing up to the idea that a shirt needs to be 'the pinnacle of design' and treating it for what it really is, a shirt. Part of good design is not making something appear more valuable than it is, no?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's not the pinnacle of design because it doesn't need to be, and I think design teams like the one at Umbro recognize that. It's not saying, "Aren't we awesome?" Rather, it's saying, We're serious about this, and we get the job done in a concise, quality-assured and authoritative manner. This is football, and this is how it's done." Props to them for standing up to the idea that a shirt needs to be 'the pinnacle of design' and treating it for what it really is, a shirt. Part of good design is not making something appear more valuable than it is, no?

+1.

I'm not arguing that everything should be pro-combatted to death; far from it. It seems, though, that you're saying that every uniform should be stripped down to a plain shirt with very few identifying features; that Manchester United and Liverpool should have identical, plain red shirts because they both wear red.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Except you can't use gold numbers in the Premier League, so it's not an option.

Is that a new rule? Arsenal used gold numbers for their redcurrant uniforms the last year in Highbury.

Sure enough:

149574342_6348dce55c.jpg

And as you can see, that was in the Prem. These were the Champions League numbers:

20449-zoom.jpg

Except you can't use gold numbers in the Premier League, so it's not an option.

Is that a new rule? Arsenal used gold numbers for their redcurrant uniforms the last year in Highbury.

Sure enough:

149574342_6348dce55c.jpg

And as you can see, that was in the Prem. These were the Champions League numbers:

20449-zoom.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong. I guess I just assumed that since it seems like the only uni number colors I have ever seen were white, black, red and dark blue. I figured that's why the numbers worn by the Spurs never actually matched their shorts. And why you never seen any crazy number colors to match uniforms. When was the last time a team wore gold numbers during an EPL game?

Maybe I'm wrong. I guess I just assumed that since it seems like the only uni number colors I have ever seen were white, black, red and dark blue. I figured that's why the numbers worn by the Spurs never actually matched their shorts. And why you never seen any crazy number colors to match uniforms.

My assumption is that the league only allows black, white, red or blue (specific shades of each) to be worn on kits. As gdu stated, this would explain why the blue outline of the numbers and surnames for Tottenham Hotspur's home kits are a slightly different shade of blue than the navy in the rest of the kit. I've looked through the Premier League handbook and could only find this rule (Rule F9):

9. The size, style, colour and design of shirt numbers, lettering and the logo of the League appearing on a Players shirt or shorts and the material from which such numbers, lettering and logo are made shall be determined by the Board from time to time.

Taken from page 136 of the Premier League Handbook for the 2011/12 season.

That being said, maybe the Board of the league has set forth restrictions on the colors to be used. It appears to me that the text colors are derived fromo the league logo itself (with the addition of black as an allowable color):

EPL-logo.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

The Premier League does only allow certain colours to be used for shirt numbers. Black, white, red and blue (royal and navy?) are indeed among them, although they are shades that don't necessarily match kits 100 per cent of the time.

Wigan Athletic had gold numbers in 2010, I think it was.

Wigan+Athletic+v+Blackburn+Rovers+Premier+R79RSe2HMaMl%282%29.jpg

And I'm quite certain Portsmouth had them on both their primary and clash kits the last time they were up in the Premiership.

But then again, I don't recall anyone using them since. So perhaps the Board reconsidered between then and now.

I know someone joked that orange is the new black, but that night actually be true. Fulhams new away appears to be orange and they've launched a few I guess teasers that are in Dutch and someone mentioned that one hen translated to English is literally "orange is the new black".

I'm actually liking it, especially that the sleeve and collar trim is navy blue, not black. Long sleeve is cool, too. They didn't displace the stripes at the bottom of the sleeves and actually left them at the same location as the short sleeve.

Arsenal12long.jpg

Arsenal12home.jpg

Hate the Arsenal with a passion, but this isn't terrible.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the French flag-esque stripes are quite fitting pour l'Arsenal?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I know someone joked that orange is the new black, but that night actually be true. Fulhams new away appears to be orange and they've launched a few I guess teasers that are in Dutch and someone mentioned that one hen translated to English is literally "orange is the new black".

hmm it could be.

I was intrigued so I took a quick little poll of the top 6 leagues and was kind of surprised at how few teams actually used orange as a clash color. They were: Swansea, Newcastle, QPR, Real Betis, Zargoza, and Marseille. Chelsea sported black and orange training gear and jackets this year, but they also wore black and orange jerseys last year. And Valencia had an orange shirt this year as well but they have a bit of history with orange so I don't it can be attributed to any sort of trend.

Someone mentioned this before about Marseille wearing reversible third shirts to represent inside out bomber jackets, but might have confused that with the home shirt.

This video explains it, and I think it's a pretty cool concept and Adidas has done a pretty great job of infusing the culture of Marseille into their shirts for a couple of years now.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

Archived