What Uniform Do You Associate Certain Players With?

piratesfan16

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teemu Selänne with Winnipeg Jets (but also with Mighty Ducks and their current look)

selanne.jpg

Mikko Koivu with Finland's current world championships set

finlandraisescup1.jpg

Ossi Väänänen with Phoenix Coyotes

136.jpg

And somehow Riku Hahl with Colorado Avanlanche (alltough Ville Nieminen got more publicity in Finland by winning with Colorado in '01)

61529.jpg

Going off of that, Lemieux and Jagr played in three different jersey eras for the Pens:

Mario%20and%20Jagr.jpg

mariojagr1.jpg

30mar_jagr_jpg.jpg

Since I'm a mid 90's kid, I'm partial to this era since some of my fondest memories were of the Robo-Pen era.

mario-lemieux.jpg

Malkin and Crosby however are synonymous with the Vegas Gold era.

Crosby-and-Malkin1.jpg

It's funny how your perspectives change over time. I'm an older Pens fan, and disliked the Robo-Pen or Flying Pen logo for a number of years. It seemed odd to me the club decided to change right after the back to back Cups, but new ownership went ahead anyway. Pens had a great regular season in the first year with the new unis, and still holds the consecutive win streak during the regular season, but were upset in the playoffs. Pens weren't able to win another Cup during the 1990s, and had the ownership problems towards the end of the decade, which set up the deep hole of the early 2000s. Unfortunately, the Flying Pen uniforms are linked with that. But the reality is, the Pens were strong with those uniforms the rest of the 90s, and I've come around to liking them, especially, the black version(not with Pittsburgh spelled out). Sometime in the future, I think we'll see the return of the Flying Pen, perhaps in a future Winter Classic game. Mario did change the logo back to the iconic Skating Pen, but I've never heard reports he dislikes the Flying Pen era uniforms.

Even though he's worn every different uniform that the Sens have I'll always associate Alfie with this look:

alfie.jpg

I can still remember watching him score the OT winner against Buffalo sending Ottawa to the finals (I try to forget what happened after that). Even though I think the current 3rd is the best that the team has ever looked, these unis will always be associated with the first great Sens teams.

It's funny how your perspectives change over time. I'm an older Pens fan, and disliked the Robo-Pen or Flying Pen logo for a number of years. It seemed odd to me the club decided to change right after the back to back Cups, but new ownership went ahead anyway. Pens had a great regular season in the first year with the new unis, and still holds the consecutive win streak during the regular season, but were upset in the playoffs. Pens weren't able to win another Cup during the 1990s, and had the ownership problems towards the end of the decade, which set up the deep hole of the early 2000s. Unfortunately, the Flying Pen uniforms are linked with that. But the reality is, the Pens were strong with those uniforms the rest of the 90s, and I've come around to liking them, especially, the black version(not with Pittsburgh spelled out). Sometime in the future, I think we'll see the return of the Flying Pen, perhaps in a future Winter Classic game. Mario did change the logo back to the iconic Skating Pen, but I've never heard reports he dislikes the Flying Pen era uniforms.

I hear he wants to keep the old athletic gold back in its era of the 80s and 90s, so that's why he won't go back to it. I'm alright with that, but I too would love to see the robo pigeon return. Being born in '93, it's the logo I was exposed to from birth, and I always associate it with my oldest memories of hockey. Even if it's just a shoulder patch (which the penguins could use), I'd be alright with that. Maybe when they finally redesign the sweaters to something other than the crap they wear now, they'll bring it back. Until then, we can only hope.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived