What Uniform Do You Associate Certain Players With?

piratesfan16

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how your perspectives change over time. I'm an older Pens fan, and disliked the Robo-Pen or Flying Pen logo for a number of years. It seemed odd to me the club decided to change right after the back to back Cups, but new ownership went ahead anyway. Pens had a great regular season in the first year with the new unis, and still holds the consecutive win streak during the regular season, but were upset in the playoffs. Pens weren't able to win another Cup during the 1990s, and had the ownership problems towards the end of the decade, which set up the deep hole of the early 2000s. Unfortunately, the Flying Pen uniforms are linked with that. But the reality is, the Pens were strong with those uniforms the rest of the 90s, and I've come around to liking them, especially, the black version(not with Pittsburgh spelled out). Sometime in the future, I think we'll see the return of the Flying Pen, perhaps in a future Winter Classic game. Mario did change the logo back to the iconic Skating Pen, but I've never heard reports he dislikes the Flying Pen era uniforms.

I hear he wants to keep the old athletic gold back in its era of the 80s and 90s, so that's why he won't go back to it. I'm alright with that, but I too would love to see the robo pigeon return. Being born in '93, it's the logo I was exposed to from birth, and I always associate it with my oldest memories of hockey. Even if it's just a shoulder patch (which the penguins could use), I'd be alright with that. Maybe when they finally redesign the sweaters to something other than the crap they wear now, they'll bring it back. Until then, we can only hope.

I do prefer the 2000-2007 Pens jerseys over the current style. Those jerseys had a triangular design on the side, plus a Flying Pen logo on each shoulder.

Interesting topic. You could actually extend it to teams and not just players.

Although their greatest success came in the clown suits and the uni change came long ago, this is how I picture Elway and the Broncos franchise:

John-Elway.jpg

And few may remember Billy Kilmer at all, but those who do probably picture him like this:

d2d0f41316aee4bfa057c47703c81bb6.jpg

I of course picture him like this:

BillyKilmerSAINTS8x10.jpg

And a few hardy old souls may remember him waaaay back when doing a pretty good Tebow impression. :D

img13258707.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Randall Cunningham

Randall_Cunningham299104730_large.jpg

However, who is 92 on the sideline? That can't be Reggie White ...

I'm guessing that's from Reggie's rookie year, when he wore #91 because #92 was taken (presumably by that guy.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A few random ones:

grant_hill_pistons_dribble_original_original_original_original_original_crop_340x234.jpg?1296283454

Karl-Malone-John-Stockton-2-Photofile-Photograph-C10109302.jpg

Ivan-Pudge-Rodriguez-texas-rangers-12431505-575-394.jpg

kariya.jpg

Bet you can't guess what decade I grew up in... :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Joe Sakic:

joe-sakic-nordiques2.jpg

Stephane Fiset:

000546469.jpg

Sean Burke:

24477702.jpg

Paul Coffey:

p-558368-paul-coffey-los-angeles-kings-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-aj-cofp112020.jpg

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Randall Cunningham

I'm guessing that's from Reggie's rookie year, when he wore #91 because #92 was taken (presumably by that guy.)

According to ProFootballReference no. 92 on the 1985 Eagles was a guy called Smiley Cresswell, who played a career total of 3 NFL games

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Robin Yount:

Robin-Yount-550x644.jpg

Randall Cunningham

I'm guessing that photo is from 1986, Reggie's first year in Phily. He switched to 92 the following year.

reggie-white-rookie-season.jpg

No matter who drafts him, I'll always associate Kellen Moore with this uniform:

110903_kellen_moore.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

I'll always associate Kellen Moore with his fugly horse-face.

Kellen-2.jpg

He's the second-coming of John Elway - and I'm not talking about passing skills.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

To me this is Joe Sakic:230px-Joe_sakic.jpg

Allen Iverson:

iverson-stepping-over-tyronn-lue.jpg?w=187&h=249

Keith Primeau and Eric Desjardin are the only Flyers I associate with the Black jersey era:

8450550.jpg

eric_desjardins.jpg

I miss the black jerseys as a palette cleanser to the bright orange all the time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived