City and Team Names That Sound "Cool"

TopCat

Portland Trail Blazers - as much as I despise the team - has always been one of my favorite team names in sports. Other favorites of mine include Houston Astros (and Aeros), Ottawa Senators, Vanderbilt Commodores, Indiana Pacers, Seattle Supersonics and Toronto Argonauts.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What...no love for the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Hate the team all you want, but there's no denying that may be one of the single most appropriate locale/nickname matches in pro sports.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like alliteration as well, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, etc

I was going to add that point too. Jacksonville Jaguars, Boston Bruins, Seattle Seahawks, Seattle Super Sonics, Miami Marlins, Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Pirates, New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Washington Wizards, San Antonio Spurs, San Jose Sharks, Philadelphia Flyers, and my absolute favorite of the alliteratives: Philadelphia Phillies.

For just nicknames I like Eagles, Vikings, and Yankees for their first letter's uniqueness among the four majors.

Locale name: I like New Orleans with how it blends into the nicknames of the Saints and Hornets.

My overall favorite name in the four majors is St. Louis Blues. The ess sound carries through the three parts of it, it's a team named after a song (not an animal, person, object or some antiquated abstractness) and I like its quirk of being the only nickname in the four majors that's a singular word despite ending with the letter S.

Random funny story about the Blues name: I was at a game once several years back and this guy was trying to impress this girl. He told her the Blues started in New Orleans and then moved to St. Louis, and that's why they were called the Blues. I laughed in my head.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

My overall favorite name in the four majors is St. Louis Blues. The ess sound carries through the three parts of it, it's a team named after a song (not an animal, person, object or some antiquated abstractness) and I like its quirk of being the only nickname in the four majors that's a singular word despite ending with the letter S.

Not 100% sure on this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always thought it sounds cool when the first letter of the city and the first letter of the nickname began with the same letter examples:

Boston Bruins

Melfort Mustangs

Manitoba Moose

Vernon Vipers

San Jose Sharks

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

As a bonafide Celtics hater (and HUGE Lakers fan), I have to admit, the Boston Celtics is a damn good name. I like the New York Rangers as well. And the Tennessee Titans. Slightly biased on these next two, but I think the Raiders have the coolest nickname in the NFL and I love the way Newcastle United sounds.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

First one that came to mind for me was Pittsburgh Penguins. I guess it's the alliteratio.

Otherwise I like names appropriate to the geography: Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, etc.

Throw in the Pirates for alliteration, and Pittsburgh's doing pretty well.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not 100% sure on this one.

True. Named after a song by WC Handy.

Archived