City and Team Names That Sound "Cool"

TopCat

Portland Timbers

Seattle Sounders

Vancouver Whitecaps

All three of the MLS PNW teams have great names.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee Brewers, Portland Trail Blazers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Vancouver Grizzlies are some of the "coolest" names. I also like that all the nicknames relate to the city too.

My overall favorite name in the four majors is St. Louis Blues. The ess sound carries through the three parts of it, it's a team named after a song (not an animal, person, object or some antiquated abstractness) and I like its quirk of being the only nickname in the four majors that's a singular word despite ending with the letter S.

Not 100% sure on this one.

True. Named after a song by WC Handy.

No, that's not in doubt, it's whether "blues" is a singular noun. Certainly a player on the team is a Blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ditto on several like the Raiders, Sharks (San Jose or Jacksonville), and SuperSonics. Also like the Oklahoma Sooners, Alabama Crimson Tide...wow, there's so many to consider and so many good ones. We could even go all the way to the high school level for the Cairo Syrupmakers. :D

But for me, there's no competition for the title. IMHO, the coolest sports name ever based on the nickname itself, the way it flows, the fact it's unique, and so on is...the CFL's Las Vegas Posse. It even has double meaning, working both for the old West frontier thing and the modern slang interpretation of a person's entourage of companions and friends (kinda playing into 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas').

lvlogo2_vectorized_free.png

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

(The) Minnesota Timberwolves.

(The) Portland Trailblazers.

...and teams with alliteration as others have mentioned.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Ditto on several like the Raiders, Sharks (San Jose or Jacksonville), and SuperSonics. Also like the Oklahoma Sooners, Alabama Crimson Tide...wow, there's so many to consider and so many good ones. We could even go all the way to the high school level for the Cairo Syrupmakers. :D

But for me, there's no competition for the title. IMHO, the coolest sports name ever based on the nickname itself, the way it flows, the fact it's unique, and so on is...the CFL's Las Vegas Posse. It even has double meaning, working both for the old West frontier thing and the modern slang interpretation of a person's entourage of companions and friends (kinda playing into 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas').

lvlogo2_vectorized_free.png

Speaking of the CFL USA expansion, I would go with the Sacramento Gold Miners(great name and uniform). For other cool names, I would go with the New Mexico Scorpions, and Las Vegas Wildcards.

"Cool" is subjective, but there is a short list of names that can be considered "clever". The list begins with those teams that must be considered "in toto", as in their place name and team name form an identifiable unit that stands alone separate from sport. This short list includes (active teams): Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Blues, and Florida Panthers (an actual variety of cat).

In terms of inactive teams, there were the Southern California Sun, New Orleans Jazz, and one of the best examples, the Spirits of St. Louis. If they had been simply the St. Louis Spirits, it wouldn't have been the same, but by transposing the place name and city name, you make the reference to Lindbergh's famous plane, featured in the logo. Original, and clever.

Which leads us to the most clever name in major league sports. Alone, the team's nickname makes absolutely NO sense, and is almost entirely unused by any other place (other than a minor league baseball team in Williamsport,PA; which also works but for slightly different reasons). The most clever major league team name is the Buffalo Bills. It's not like any other name-- again, what player would be glad to be named a short form of "William"? It's the genius in conjoining the place name with a team name to reference a historical character, "Buffalo Bill" Cody-- and then to pluralize it. Very clever.

And what is even more clever, in a strictly absurdist sense, is that "Buffalo Bill" as a persona has little if any connection to Buffalo the city or the region. Buffalo Bill was an iconic figure of the Old West, a shownman who had no connection to Buffalo, New York. In fact, rather than any "Buffalo Bill" cowboy/frontiersman/scout/showman imagery, the team has traditionally focused on the image of a Buffalo itself (much like the rest of the city's teams, in fact).

It is what it is.

Mass Mutiny.

It's a women's football team in the Boston area. I don't remember the entire history, but a number of women from the original team were unhappy with the way the team or league was run (may have been a funding issue). They left and formed their own team in a different league.

The team is currently playing as the Boston Militia.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

"Cool" is subjective, but there is a short list of names that can be considered "clever". The list begins with those teams that must be considered "in toto", as in their place name and team name form an identifiable unit that stands alone separate from sport. This short list includes (active teams): Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Blues, and Florida Panthers (an actual variety of cat).

In terms of inactive teams, there were the Southern California Sun, New Orleans Jazz, and one of the best examples, the Spirits of St. Louis. If they had been simply the St. Louis Spirits, it wouldn't have been the same, but by transposing the place name and city name, you make the reference to Lindbergh's famous plane, featured in the logo. Original, and clever.

Which leads us to the most clever name in major league sports. Alone, the team's nickname makes absolutely NO sense, and is almost entirely unused by any other place (other than a minor league baseball team in Williamsport,PA; which also works but for slightly different reasons). The most clever major league team name is the Buffalo Bills. It's not like any other name-- again, what player would be glad to be named a short form of "William"? It's the genius in conjoining the place name with a team name to reference a historical character, "Buffalo Bill" Cody-- and then to pluralize it. Very clever.

And what is even more clever, in a strictly absurdist sense, is that "Buffalo Bill" as a persona has little if any connection to Buffalo the city or the region. Buffalo Bill was an iconic figure of the Old West, a shownman who had no connection to Buffalo, New York. In fact, rather than any "Buffalo Bill" cowboy/frontiersman/scout/showman imagery, the team has traditionally focused on the image of a Buffalo itself (much like the rest of the city's teams, in fact).

Doesn't your third paragraph invalidate your second? How can it be a clever name if the guy had no connection whatsoever to Buffalo? OTOH, I always got a kick out of the Buffalo Bisons, which basically the same as saying the Buffalo Buffaloes.

Which got me to thinking, how did Buffalo get its name to begin with? I usually wouldn't associate western NY with bison, but apparently their range at one time did include that area, along with Atlanta, Pensacola, and El Paso. :blink:

And the always reliable ( ^_^ ) Wikipedia says there's a Buffalo Creek along which the original trading post was located.

As far as places going with names, I meant to mention the 49ers as others have. One of the best in sports. The Sacramento Gold Miners is good but loses points for being essentially a 49ers knockoff.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

[quote name=BlueSky' timestamp='1334674230' post='1791955'

Doesn't your third paragraph invalidate your second? How can it be a clever name if the guy had no connection whatsoever to Buffalo? OTOH, I always got a kick out of the Buffalo Bisons, which basically the same as saying the Buffalo Buffaloes.

Which got me to thinking, how did Buffalo get its name to begin with? I usually wouldn't associate western NY with bison, but apparently their range at one time did include that area, along with Atlanta, Pensacola, and El Paso. :blink:

And the always reliable ( ^_^ ) Wikipedia says there's a Buffalo Creek along which the original trading post was located.

As far as places going with names, I meant to mention the 49ers as others have. One of the best in sports. The Sacramento Gold Miners is good but loses points for being essentially a 49ers knockoff.

It is widely held that Buffalo NY got its name via corruption of the French term for "beautiful river" --- beau fleuve

I think these are pretty awesome team names: New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, New York Rangers, Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks. Although I think the name Dallas sounds great with almost any team name (except something like FC Dallas).

I like how Dallas sounds too! I was thinking of doing a Dallas Rangers alt-history concept thread wherein I'd reimagine their uniforms a little bit, because I think "Texas Rangers" is too vague and really just kind of hokey.

But FC Dallas is stupid, yeah. So is Toronto FC.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Baltimore Orioles applies.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's one we all forgot about: Iowa Barnstormers.

I mean, if you're going to imprison place a football team in the middle of Iowa, you may as well give them one of the single coolest nicknames?and best set of uniforms?to offset their locale.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like how Dallas sounds too! I was thinking of doing a Dallas Rangers alt-history concept thread wherein I'd reimagine their uniforms a little bit, because I think "Texas Rangers" is too vague and really just kind of hokey.

But FC Dallas is stupid, yeah. So is Toronto FC.

They're named for the Texas Rangers, so why not name them the "Texas Rangers"? How is it vague? It's the exact name of what their going for. It's quite possibly one of the least vague name in all of sports.

Archived