Steelers unveiling new throw/fauxbacks

eliminator jr

Are there any better shots?? Preferably close ups?? Doesn't look like the usual "elite 51" template. Looks cool though, kinda cool that they actually brought these back in a (im assuming) fairly accurate form, much like the green bay throwbacks.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey they took a chance, and good for them. It's fun, and far superior than a batwing throwback would have been. The one they wore in '94 would have been nice too, but this is so different than anything we've seen on a modern template that I think it's great (except for the helmets.)

If I was the Steelers (or the NFL), my concern would be in the merchandising opportunities (or lack thereof.) With the way replicas are cut, there's going to be a lot of stripes on them, especially the sleeves. I can't picture anyone other than hardcore collectors buying these. I certainly can't picture people who wear jerseys walking around casually in these things.

It's unfortunate that those are the kinds of things that they probably think about when they design these things, but it's fortunate that they decided that the money wasn't as important as the sentiment.

Tell Michigan there is no retail opportunity for a striped uniform. I know this has a striped body and Pittsburgh may be different than Michigan but they sold those striped replicas like crazy for Michigan and they were pretty different than the actual on field designs.

Hey they took a chance, and good for them. It's fun, and far superior than a batwing throwback would have been. The one they wore in '94 would have been nice too, but this is so different than anything we've seen on a modern template that I think it's great (except for the helmets.)

If I was the Steelers (or the NFL), my concern would be in the merchandising opportunities (or lack thereof.) With the way replicas are cut, there's going to be a lot of stripes on them, especially the sleeves. I can't picture anyone other than hardcore collectors buying these. I certainly can't picture people who wear jerseys walking around casually in these things.

It's unfortunate that those are the kinds of things that they probably think about when they design these things, but it's fortunate that they decided that the money wasn't as important as the sentiment.

Tell Michigan there is no retail opportunity for a striped uniform. I know this has a striped body and Pittsburgh may be different than Michigan but they sold those striped replicas like crazy for Michigan and they were pretty different than the actual on field designs.

Really? I just can't picture your average fan walking down the street in one of these things. Maybe some would buy to wear to whatever game they wear them in, but if not the "have to have one of everything" type, I don't see it. They're really not going to be flattering on the XXL crowd.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Really terrible, especially the number "tiles." I get that they represent a time in the team's history. but I also get that they didn't stick around for a reason.

Sorry, if I missed it, but which game(s) will these be worn in? I'm taking a big group to the Dallas game in December, and I pray we see the classic set.

newsig.jpg

vhetj.jpg

Looking at the image that was posted earlier in the thread, I figured that I was gonna hate it. Now that I see what it looks like in 2012, I actually like this. Of course, this has absolutely NO staying power in today's day-&-age, but for an anniversary throwback, it's pretty good. Wow.

Looks like they won't be going full-on throwback though with that helmet, unless they just bust out a brown helmet in time for the season.

Who doesn't like a jersey unveiling in the bathroom?

These belong in the toilet.

Thank you.

We have a winner.

Despite my comparison to Where's Waldo's evil twin, I actually do like the jerseys....a lot. I'm not sold on the current helmet being used but it's simple enough that I don't find it to bee entirely bothersome. The khaki-colored pants could be better, but I understand the old-time charm. I think white would probably work better.

Oh, and those socks are totally awesome.

Really terrible, especially the number "tiles." I get that they represent a time in the team's history. but I also get that they didn't stick around for a reason.

Sorry, if I missed it, but which game(s) will these be worn in? I'm taking a big group to the Dallas game in December, and I pray we see the classic set.

They most likely won't wear them for an away game, so I wouldn't worry about Dallas. If I had to guess I'd say either the first home game, or home vs the Browns. For the past 3-4 years I think they've worn the yellow helmet alts against Cleveland and their permanent throwbacks.

These are pretty terrible. I think the only tolerable parts are the striped socks and tan pants.

I can't stop watching that GIF. I could use that daily, sent to me at random times.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

vhetj.jpg

1. Stripes? check.

2. Old-timey? check.

3. Random patch? check.

4. Faux vintage? check.

5. Heritage franchise? check.

CCLSC unanimous approval!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

vhetj.jpg

1. Stripes? check.

2. Old-timey? check.

3. Random patch? check.

4. Faux vintage? check.

5. Heritage franchise? check.

CCLSC unanimous approval!

Also, multiple shades of "gold" and brutal lid which gets a pass due to tradition. Check and check!

6uXNWAo.png

Two things:

1. Throwbacks aren't always supposed to look good. They're supposed to give us a window into the past. Why wear something that may be a little different than usual, but still fairly conservative when you can trot out in something like this?

2. Maybe those who know more about the original uniforms can answer this, but what do they do for single-digit uniform numbers? I'm assuming it's just one centered box, but I don't know that I should assume anything with these.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

That's... kind of cool. At least I think so right now. I remember feeling the same about the Packers throwbacks when I first saw them, but started not to once I saw them in action. Now I realize that's because these (and the Packers throwbacks) were designed before the expectations for what we think a football uniform should look like were solidified near the end of WWII (there may be more striping patterns and side panels now, but none of these uniforms would look very out of place on a modern template), and thus look strange (even obnoxious) on the field with a team that's wearing their regular uniforms.

In other words, as much as I like these, I think they should stuff them in the closet for the next time they play the Packers, or some other team that's willing to bring back a 1920s/1930s look.

EDIT: It looks like the Packers are no longer wearing their throwbacks (at least not this year). Ah well...

Archived