Unrealized Stadium Concepts

NJTank

On 4/19/2012 at 8:42 AM, charger77 said:

The Lions AND Tigers in Pontiac in seperate stadiums, but sharing a roof?!?

I am sure that would have been expensive to move Royals Stadium to Michigan.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That idea was also used for a proposed complex with White Sox and Bears stadiums from the '80s. Also, Kansas City had that idea when it was planning renovations for Arrowhead and Kauffman a few years back (in order to bring a Super Bowl to KC), but the sliding roof was scrapped before they started.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That idea was also used for a proposed complex with White Sox and Bears stadiums from the '80s. Also, Kansas City had that idea when it was planning renovations for Arrowhead and Kauffman a few years back (in order to bring a Super Bowl to KC), but the sliding roof was scrapped before they started.

As "OnWis97" stated, that concept pictured is NOT for Pontiac, MI. Rather it is the original concept for the Truman Sports Complex in Kansas City.

Kansas City has twice floated the idea of a movable roof for those facilities. In the 1970's the voters approved it, but it came in $1.5M over estimates.

Ron Labinski, the architect who worked on the original facilities and later formed Populous, commented on the issues with the original roof plan before the referendum in 2006.

As "OnWis97" stated, that concept pictured is NOT for Pontiac, MI. Rather it is the original concept for the Truman Sports Complex in Kansas City.

Kansas City has twice floated the idea of a movable roof for those facilities. In the 1970's the voters approved it, but it came in $1.5M over estimates.

Ron Labinski, the architect who worked on the original facilities and later formed Populous, commented on the issues with the original roof plan before the referendum in 2006.

Actually I did not realize that. I just thought the "Tigers" ballpark looked a lot like Royals Stadium. The second picture from that site even moreso.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Actually I did not realize that. I just thought the "Tigers" ballpark looked a lot like Royals Stadium. The second picture from that site even moreso.

If one searches for the name "Charles Deaton + architecture", you will be able to read about him and his designs. He proposed the dual stadiums with a moving roof to Kansas City as early as 1967.

All-time worst. That thing makes the Metrodome feel like Camden Yards. 380 feet to all points. Sweet softball field.

That's why it's the best. It's so out there and wildly different than anything of that time period. It looks like a ballpark the Jetsons would visit.

Obviously it would be a terrible stadium were it actually built. The "best" is the charm of how dreadful it would be.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I really like that "New Fenway" one.

In a vacuum it would have been a great ballpark design. But the Red Sox made the right decision sticking with the REAL Fenway Park rather than some hollow replica. We've seen what happens when you try to replace a shrine with some modern homage too many times in the past and it's failed every time in places like Yankee Stadium II in New York and even worse in Chicago with New Comiskey. Fenway II would have been just as hollow and fake. That said built anywhere else but Boston or in a world without a Fenway, New Fenway would have been a nice park.

I really like that "New Fenway" one.

In a vacuum it would have been a great ballpark design. But the Red Sox made the right decision sticking with the REAL Fenway Park rather than some hollow replica. We've seen what happens when you try to replace a shrine with some modern homage too many times in the past and it's failed every time in places like Yankee Stadium II in New York and even worse in Chicago with New Comiskey. Fenway II would have been just as hollow and fake. That said built anywhere else but Boston or in a world without a Fenway, New Fenway would have been a nice park.

New Comiskey shared nothing but the name. The only way it even tried to mimic Comiskey Park was with the scoreboard. For the most part, it was trying to be the exact opposite. That was a time when stadiums strived to be futuristic instead of old-timey and classic.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Pontiac70_1.jpg

I am sure that would have been expensive to move Royals Stadium to Michigan.

I though a similar concept was proposed for the Chiefs/Royals complex...

I can't believe I've never see this one for Milwaukee before.

88_Milwaukee.jpg

Makes me kind of upset that it didn't get built since the roof at Miller Park leaks and the Brewers won't allow anyone but the Brewers to ever use it (thereby negating the potential of a domed park).

All-time worst. That thing makes the Metrodome feel like Camden Yards. 380 feet to all points. Sweet softball field.

That's why it's the best. It's so out there and wildly different than anything of that time period. It looks like a ballpark the Jetsons would visit.

Obviously it would be a terrible stadium were it actually built. The "best" is the charm of how dreadful it would be.

Exactly what I think about pretty much all of the 50's parks.

Stick57_2.jpgDodgerConcept_1957.jpg

Gotta love googie/doo-wop architecture.

Excellent find! Lots of good material here.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

This site is honestly so cool. Really interesting stuff

Also, how is this not a real ballpark? I love it, so much better than the Coliseum of Infinite Foul Territory

Oak1.jpg

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

On 4/19/2012 at 1:05 AM, Dexter Morgan said:

Dodgers concept in the outfield just look like Ballpark in Arlington

They do that on the Comiskey Renovation of the early 2000s as well.

POTD (Shared)

Archived