Unrealized Stadium Concepts

NJTank

The roof of the SkyDome model is cool, but otherwise it looks almost exactly like the Kingdome.

I would imagine the cost associated with building that roof was probably why it got shot down. It just looks like it would be a very hard structure to build even now, let alone in the late 80's.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This site is honestly so cool. Really interesting stuff

Also, how is this not a real ballpark? I love it, so much better than the Coliseum of Infinite Foul Territory

Oak1.jpg

Landowners on the site didn't want to sell and the Oakland city leadership didn't want to eminent domain them out.

I mean, yeah. I assumed there was some sort of legal barrier. But just damn, look at that park, its awesome. Something about the parks that look like they were squeezed into a random city neighborhood just really excites me. It's a shame there arent more/any being built lately.

I feel the opposite. Parks that look designed to squeeze into city blocks, but are really built in open suburbs just come off as contrived messes to me.

As for this park, it's just too enclosed. I get what they were trying to do with the hotel / apartments (right?) but they really made it look cramped by jamming all that crap into the OF.

Oh, that's exactly why I love it. Build the stadium into the city. Why not have a building be the center field wall? I love the unique aspect it creates. I want my ballpark to feel homey and comfortable while still maintaining the open feeling. Wrigley does a good job of this, and I think more ballparks should try.

The two biggest issues I see with that stadium are that there really isn't an effective batter's eye, and that because there is no gap between the field and the building, either there is a 50+ foot centrefield wall, or there will be a painted line somewhere which will make HR call really, really annoying to deal with.

Chase Field has that.

1020-20chase20field20weird20center20field20wall.jpg

This site is honestly so cool. Really interesting stuff

Also, how is this not a real ballpark? I love it, so much better than the Coliseum of Infinite Foul Territory

Oak1.jpg

It's been interesting if nothing else to watch the evolution of Lew Wolff's A's ballpark designs from Oakland, to Fremont and finally to San Jose. It's easy to see the evolutionary progression of their ideas.

Oak1.jpg

Oakland Ballpark

cisco5.jpg

Fremont Cisco Field

cam06.jpg

San Jose Cisco Field

Here's another one, not from that site; at some point the Brewers looked into renovating County Stadium to incorporate tiered seating in the bleachers. It got far enough that they commissioned a model, but I don't remember it ever having been publicly discussed:

61015b_lg.jpeg

61015a_lg.jpeg

Looks similar to what the city of Oakland did to the Coliseum in 1995. Though it's not quite as bad as Mount Davis since it doesn't look like the Milwaukee expansion is any larger than the existing stadium.

Chase Field has that.

1020-20chase20field20weird20center20field20wall.jpg

So does Minute Maid Park.

weird20left20field2.jpg

The umps incorrectly called an Astros home run during the '05 series that should have stayed in play.

Also, I'm surprised that site doesn't seem to list the Armour Park designs that were submitted to compete with New Comiskey.

http://www.thursdayassociates.net/Baseball%20Projects/armour_field,_chicago.htm

New Comiskey is basically just the Addison dome proposal, but Armour was specifically designed to fit into the area, much like the old parks were. Y'know, like the A's proposal, except not an architectural lie. I'm not sure if the Armour Field proposal was ever seriously considered, or if the Sox were really just looking at the Addison plans. Regardless, the Sox wound up picking a design that seemed good at the time, but was instantly rendered obsolete (design-wise) by the more neighborhood-style parks like Camden Yards and Jacobs Field that came in its' wake.

Here's another one, not from that site; at some point the Brewers looked into renovating County Stadium to incorporate tiered seating in the bleachers. It got far enough that they commissioned a model, but I don't remember it ever having been publicly discussed:

61015b_lg.jpeg

61015a_lg.jpeg

Looks similar to what the city of Oakland did to the Coliseum in 1995. Though it's not quite as bad as Mount Davis since it doesn't look like the Milwaukee expansion is any larger than the existing stadium.

Mount Davis is exactly what I thought of when I first saw this... you'd think they'd have taken this opportunity to move the fences back a bit so they could give the football field a bit more "breathing room."

Either way, I never realized how badly I miss the Packers playing at County Stadium... neck cramping sightlines and all. :D

I'm not sure if the Armour Field proposal was ever seriously considered, or if the Sox were really just looking at the Addison plans.

it wasn't.

It was essentially a fan concept.

Not quite. It was not solicited from the team, but it was still a legitimate idea from a professor of architecture. It's not like some guy drew on a napkin.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not baseball, but if Jim Balsillie had come through, this:

600_x_314_view_of_existing_exterior.jpg

would have become this:

600_x_337_view_of_renovated_exterior.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't like how all of these artist's drawings of new stadiums (stadia?) and arenas have spotlights coming off of them. Other than for a few special occasions, it's not like there are actually spotlights eminating from the building.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 4 years later...

Here's one that was supposed to be in downtown Kansas City to replace Kauffman Stadium located on Eighth and Main Street. The good thing about this is that you have a downtown skyline in KC but the bad thing is you have to get rid of Kauffman Stadium especially the the Crown Scoreboard and the fountains. By the way, still is the most beautiful stadium ever!

http://www.stadiumpage.com/mndkc/kcpark.jpg

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

Dating back to the pre-contraction-threat days, the below Twins concept was great.  I recall a friend describing the retractable roof as "serving as a canopy when it's open. It was nice in that you could not see too much of the roof/infrastructure when open.  Kinda reminiscent of Safeco.  Given the crap weather here, if we were gonna bilk the taxpayers, I'd rather have just gone all the way for this design...

http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/MNDome_R.html

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived