Nate15

Mets Uniforms

I'm sure this has been covered, though I couldn't find it in a search. Are the Mets' uniforms this year a permanent change, or just a temporary thing for the anniversary season? In other words, is the black returning next year?

The odds of the black returning for the Mets are the same as the Yankees' payroll being below $20 million.

The odds of the black returning for the Mets are the same as the Yankees' payroll being below $20 million.

$20 million? Try $100 million. :grin:

I'm watching them for the first time on HD, and they look flat-out gorgeous in the sunlight.

I can't get over what a huge upgrade this is. One little change makes all the difference in the world, and the Mets' uniforms are right back up at the top of the majors.

The Mets cap is an absolute classic... better than the Yankees cap.

The Mets cap is an absolute classic... better than the Yankees cap.

Wow, big statement. I dont disagree, but Im curious as to why you would think/ say that? I mean, the Yankees cap is world wide, its an icon itself. I love the Mets cap and logo and dont disagree that its not better, but Im curious as to why you have such a strong opinion.

Thanks.

The monogram is more readable and I like the color scheme a lot better.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the Mets cap wins every time; but much as it pains me to admit it, the cache built up in the brand of the Yankee hat globally has to be given some level of credit

Absolutely. I'd also give the Yankees the edge in terms of the tone of their combo: white against navy is easy to read at any distance, whereas orange on royal isn't quite as distinct.

That said, orange and blue are a gorgeous color combination, and although I still prefer the Giants' 1940s logo over their 1950s logo on purely aesthetic grounds, I can't deny that very few caps look better on a sunny summer day than the Mets'.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the Mets cap wins every time; but much as it pains me to admit it, the cache built up in the brand of the Yankee hat globally has to be given some level of credit

This, entirely. Everyone recognizes a Yankees cap in London or Paris or wherever. Who recognizes a Mets cap (the better-looking cap) in London (or Paris or wherever)?

They recognize it, but they don't necessarily know what it means.

The common misconception, in the UK at least, is that it's a generic "New York City" cap.

This, entirely. Everyone recognizes a Yankees cap in London or Paris or wherever. Who recognizes a Mets cap (the better-looking cap) in London (or Paris or wherever)?

Exactly. When I went to Italy a few years back I saw vendors selling (fake, I figure) Yankee hats. Just goes to show you that the Yankees are recognized throughout the world.

Again, see my post above. I'm still not sure anyone selling (or buying) those fakes know quite whose intellectual property they're stealing. :P

The black jersey is still in the set for 2012, they just haven't worn it. The team said they might wear the black on the road a few times, but I wouldn't expect to see it. They'd have to pack the jerseys/hats/helmets for the road, and they probably don't want to deal with it.

But it is supposed to be gone 100% in 2013.

You know, as much as I dislike black for the Mets, I think the black jersey could look sharp as a night-game alternate with a few tweaks.

The idea of black was never a "bad" idea for the Mets - the execution and oversaturation of it is what made it suck.

As such, the only logical move was to remove it altogether. And now they look fantastic thanks to that.