MLS by 2020

mcrosby

Well, I was saving this for a 1000th post extravaganza, but I got antsy. Here it is:

The league:

The 2012 MLS season is under way and attendance continues to rise as the league expands. More development academies pop up around the nation and the pool of talent continues to increase. As the league grows it will increase its salary cap, bringing international players in the prime of their careers instead of the twilight. By 2020 the league has expanded to its four division, 28 team format. Being stubborn Americans-they have yet to adopt the promotion-relegation format of soccer leagues worldwide. (I realize FIFA allows leagues to be only 24 teams but with the continuing growth of soccer worldwide I am making the assumption that they would allow participation by larger leagues). The divisions are separated by region, keeping natural rivalries intact and creating new rivalries with expansion teams. Teams will compete in a similar format as teams in NFL divisions, playing teams outside of their own division but focusing play on division competition. Each season will end with a regular season champion and a playoff to appease the playoff hungry American fanbase.

The logos:

I have posted many of these before in a previous thread. Many are amalgamations of current logos, all-star logos, and previous logos. I have continued that with this set up and have added some unseen logos as well. Some logos have been made entirely from scratch by myself (Puerto Rico, Albuquerque) while others are the team's current logos. This initial post is to provide a view of the league as a whole and I will continue by posting kit concepts for each team until I've been through all 28. I will probably post 'annual' updates through 2020, adding expansion teams each time year. I'll throw in the updated current teams as I 'foresee' them doing so through the next 8 years-kinda a foresight is 2020 kinda thing...get it, 2020. I'm punny.

Picture27.png

AC St. Louis

Chivas Los Angeles

DC United

Los Angeles Galaxy

New England FC

New York Cosmos

Orlando City

Real Salt Lake

Toronto FC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your team logos are simply flawless. I love what you've done to update the current teams. However, I don't care for the recolor of the league logo. I prefer the unique color scheme that it currently has. I know that the red/white/blue colors of the MLB/NFL/NBA are because they're American leagues, but I just don't feel that the scheme works for the MLS. The NHL and MLS, being truly bi-national leagues, should stick with their own color schemes.

I can't wait to see the kits.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Chicago is a downgrade, but the changes to the Union logo are stunning.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Cool concepts, but I find it hard to believe that Atlanta will not have a team by 2020, with the size of our Hispanic population and the quick sellouts of all major soccer events played in the city, as well as the interest Arthur Blank. Even if Atlanta doesn't have a team by 2020 I highly doubt the league would expand to 28 without at least one of them being in the ATL.

Ah, I see youre predicting 6 more titles for RSL?...bold. ^_^ But seriously, I hated that ASG logo and was crestfallen to see you use it here. I'd probably like it more if there was a crown on top rather than the mountains...however, everything else is REALLY nice. I'm excited to see where this concept goes.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

These are all spectacular.

They really are great. Only complaint is "Orlando City". Seems like "Orlando" could work just fine on its own.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Spectacular crests. Each of them are incredible. Stunning work!!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Ft Lauderdale's name needs to be "yellowed" in.

They really are great. Only complaint is "Orlando City". Seems like "Orlando" could work just fine on its own.

I think he's presuming (like many are, actually) that the current Orlando City franchise (that's its name) will be "permanently promoted" like Vancouver and Montreal were, so the name stays.

rATMcmK.png

Ft Lauderdale's name needs to be "yellowed" in.

I think he's presuming (like many are, actually) that the current Orlando City franchise (that's its name) will be "permanently promoted" like Vancouver and Montreal were, so the name stays.

Got it... had no clue that was the case - sorry for the ignorance.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Absolutely tremendous work. Everything is very sharp and the colors really pop. My fav update is for Seattle, such an improvement over the bizarre shape they use now for their crest.

One small suggestion, moving the "NY" to before the "C" in "Cosmos," right now it reads like "Cosmos NY."

I'm glad it's just a conceptual vision for the league's future though.

20 teams will be more than enough. Just as an example, Mexico has way more people than any Western European nation (where the powerhouse leagues are) and Mexico loves soccer way more than the U.S. does, yet has only 18 clubs in its Primera Division.

Alright, here's the first league update:

2012: The MLS expands to bring an even number of teams to the league, 20. After many problems getting the NY Cosmos off the ground the MLS goes back to the NASL for an expansion team following the success of recent NASL 'perma-promotions'. This time around the MLS returns to Florida with much fanfare. Orlando City SC is already an established brand in the area and only gains more with the increased level of competition. The team updates their logo for the promotion and adds jerseys that have a classic feel yet are unique to the MLS.

Picture38.png

LA's "other team" also updates for 2012 to draw in more of the growing population of soccer fans in the LA area. The classic Chivas crest is updated to include the LA seal, and a halo above the ball. The team also changes names from Chivas USA to Chivas LA.

Picture37.png

After much deliberation one of the first identities in the league is updated. The Revolution crest is just not a crest, and the MLS appears to be moving in the classic crest direction. The new crest contains elements of revolutionary symbols and symbols of the region. A snake surrounds a tree, a symbol of New England. The team also renames itself New England FC, but is still called Revolution by many of its fans. The kits updated with the logo have subtle crosses over the chest, for some reason the team just thought it looked...revolutionary.

Picture36.png

The NEFC logo is obviously mostly the Nike USMNT logo, it's just too great of a logo to go to waste.

Shouldn't the primary color of Chivas' clash kit be something other than red?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived