Deep Space Purple: Houston Astros

raysox

So this is part two of who knows how many concepts.

I've decided that the Astros have the worst logo set in the league. It just doesn't make sense. The scripts are stupid for their nickname and theme, like it's a space themed team, but you want cursive and pinstripes? In anticipation of the move to the AL, I went in a different direction. There will be no purple in the AL. But there is TONS of navy, and there is already a team with the same scheme as the current one. I used deep purple and burnt orange like my Houston Yakball concept. I first started with the A-star logo, which has been done by me, and a few others on here. I ended up with this version instead of one with the line in the A going strait across. Maz helped me decide on this, because it was symmetrical, and looked better. The scripts are a version of agency, arched, with a shadow under, which is an attempt to add depth. So I just pieced the rest together for a set.

I wanted simple jerseys, and wanted to add tan in the set like I originally planned. So to match MinuteMaid Park, I used the same color they use for a uniform that will never see the field there! On the home alt, I thought a white cap would look really cool, especially when the Longhorns do the same.

Yeah.

Astros1.png

Astros2.png

I really like this concept. I prefer fancy scripts of the team's nickname on home unis, but this does work do to the nature of the nickname. Your choice of color (cream?) for the road unis works really well with the purple and orange. Nice job.

(First thought when I saw the post title was the Astros hitting the field with "Space Truckin'" blaring from the PA system.)

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Nicely done. I absolutely LOVE the star-A you created. I think more could be done to the roundel to give it more of a space feel. But this is a great start. Unique color-scheme that isn't too gaudy and gives it and old school feel.

gYH2mW9.png

This is stunning! I love the design, especially the colours(indigo and burnt orange on my monitor) and the A-Star logo is great!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Love the color set.

In my opinion, there are too many pro teams (all sports) that default to the classic Red/White/Blue looks. College seems to be a little better about unique or different color schemes (Clemson, Wyoming, etc).

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

OH YEAH!!! Orange is back!!! that nonsense dull colours they have now needs to go... I love everything abut this concept!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I like the patch logo. I like the cap logo. To me, the part that is lacking is the wordmark. It's very plain and forgettable, yet it takes up a large portion of the primary logo and of course the jerseys. I think if you tried another font, one that matches the cool-looking cap logo, you'd have a better result. Other than that, I like the colors and the direction your heading with this.

The cap insignia is the BEST star logo I've seen thus far among Astros concepts. Perfect element to build on...it should be part of the primary! As for the colors, I love the indigo/purple shade you chose. A slightly brighter take on the accompanying burnt orange, though, would make the overall scheme pop.

All in all, an awesome start so far.

[447]

Funny, I was actually looking at going back and retooling that Astros concept I did way back in the day, utilizing a deep space blue (read: indigo) and a "cosmic orange"; but after seeing this, now I don't have to. :P

I like the idea of that primary logo, though I think you cold probably do something more with the orange line within the purple circle; perhaps taper them and attach some stars to the end? (Shooting stars, in other words.) Not crazy about the patch, but I love the idea of that star logo. As for the uniforms, I'd look at toning down the shadow effect, which kinda makes this whole thing look more "comic book-ish" than it needs to. Also, as someone else, said, this would really benefit from a brighter orange, to really help bring it out. Other than that, you've got a pretty good start here--and it would be interesting to see if any MLB teams ever try the straight NOBs rather than arched.

Good stuff.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived