Chicago White Sox Retro Gaffe -->FAIL<--

Patchez

Why did the White Sox throw back to these uniforms? I think they were one of the poorest sets they ever had and the ChiSox had some terrible uniforms.

It's the 40th anniversary of a team that has a big spot in the hearts of older fans. After several terrible seasons, they came out of nowhere to compete and Dick Allen had a monster season in winning the MVP. Also, that team arguably saved the franchise in Chicago, as the owners who were looking to sell and being pressured by the American League to move to Seattle decided to stick it out until they could find a local owner, which ended up being Bill Veeck for the second time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why did the White Sox throw back to these uniforms? I think they were one of the poorest sets they ever had and the ChiSox had some terrible uniforms.

It's the 40th anniversary of a team that has a big spot in the hearts of older fans. After several terrible seasons, they came out of nowhere to compete and Dick Allen had a monster season in winning the MVP. Also, that team arguably saved the franchise in Chicago, as the owners who were looking to sell and being pressured by the American League to move to Seattle decided to stick it out until they could find a local owner, which ended up being Bill Veeck for the second time.

I wonder if next year they will wear 1983 throwbacks, I think that would make some sense.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I wonder if next year they will wear 1983 throwbacks, I think that would make some sense.

It's entirely likely. They broke them out in '08 to celebrate the 25th anniversary, although they forgot the All-Star patch.

5550576960_2660fc2ac5_o.png

They wore them in '03, as well, but they got the number font wrong.

5550577506_e036f9df81_o.png

It's almost like teams are under some sort of secret agreement with MLB to get SOMETHING wrong on the throwback uniforms every time.

Gotta love that SI cover of Dick Allen smoking a cig.

Regarding the cap gaffe, this is nothing new, look at the atrocities the Padres trot out year to year when they do their turn back the clock tributes.

Indeed. I was 11 when that SI arrived in the mailbox. I was astonished by the fact that a big league ballplayer smoked cigarettes. For some reason, I thought it was cool. Youth.

And let's not skip over Wilbur Wood. If memory serves, he went 24-20 in 1972. Only a rubber-armed knuckleballer could have pitched enough innings to win 20 and lose 20 in the same season.

EDIT: My mistake. Wood went 24-17 in 1972. 1973 was the year he went 24-20. He damn near pulled off another 20-20 season in 1974 but he couldn't get that 20th loss so he had to settle for a 20-19 record.

I believe the other famous knuckleballer, Phil Niekro, went 20 wins and 20 losses in a season at some point in his career.

Archived