Continental Independent Baseball League: the Expansion

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not one who hates singular team names, I've grown to appreciate unique sounding team names with no S, and "Thunderhead" makes sense for an Omaha team, but by adding the S, it would sound like a sports team and not a metal band.

As far as the design, I'm in the minority I see because it's not one of my favorites in your league. The thundercloud is almost too detailed and stylized in my opinion. It has a lot of motion and energy, which is nice, but feel a simplified cloud would get the point across. It might be a lot of work at this point to go back and re-work the cloud though. I also agree with Philsphan that the half shaded lettering isn't necessary.

My thoughts on Omaha-

Solid job using the purple and gold scheme, which isn't used in the MLB but looks great in other sports. The scripts are also well-designed, as is the alternate OT logo. Just a couple suggestions.

Change the name to Thunderheads. The word thunderhead isn't like "Heat" or "Magic" where you can't put an S on the end, and while I'm not opposed to team names without the S, I think this one works better with one.

I would get rid of the shading on the wordmarks. I actually think the concept would be better/cleaner without the half-shading. I would either go all-white or all-gray on the wordmarks, whichever you prefer.

Finally, there's something strange about the way the lightning bolts come through the cloud in the logo. I don't know about anyone else, but when I see the logo now I see the bolts as eyes with that little furrow of cloud that layers over them as a set of eyebrows. I think you should play around with that intersection a little.

That all being said, this color scheme is great and the uniforms are solid as well.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a project I've been working on (off and on) for several months to a year. It's been a very long time since I did baseball work, and I don't think I've ever tried to tackle an entire league. I liked the idea of trying some baseball designs because of the potential to do some really interesting and different typographic work, including scripts and more old-style looks. Some of this work has been shown (in some form) before, including the recent PuckDrawn contest, but most of it is brand new.

So I'm presenting the Continental Independent Baseball League: four divisions of six teams each, for a total of 24 teams in non-MLB markets. With a few exceptions (which I'll do my best to point out), all the work is 100% mine, including the original base sketches and (I think) every bit of the typography. In general, there's definitely more of a minor-league aesthetic, from the style of the logos to the color choices. But I tried my best to do things that were fun, and (hopefully) the entire league features a variety of styles. On this initial post, I'll be displaying a league map (updating it as additional teams are presented), along with a grid of league logos and caps (ditto).

Each team will have a primary logo, cap logo, and home and road uniforms, each with an alternate. Right now, only some teams have alternate logos. Constructive, detailed C+C is of course welcome. And I'll be doing these in alphabetical order. So let's get started with the first team.

Are the ones with dots teams with no names yet?

Albuquerque Spirits

Albuquerque, NM

logo_prim.png

Really nice.

So true

Albuquerque Spirits

Albuquerque, NM

logo_prim.png

Really nice.

I'd suggest:

Vancouver Orcas (lots of orcas up there)

Portland Rappers (Mackelmore's from there)

San Jose Firebirds (It's really hot there

Salt Lake City (Utah, Salt Lake is waaaay to long) Rams (All the Mountains)

Wichita Twist (Twisters, I just like the way Twist sounds) (All the tornadoes

San Antonio (Texas, It would be the only Texas team, right) Gunslingers (Wild West)

Ottawa Serpents (All the lakes)

I'd suggest:

San Antonio (Texas, It would be the only Texas team, right) Gunslingers (Wild West)

Orcas: ok, that one's alright

Rappers: Ummm... creative and different

Firebirds: Ok

Rams: SL is too long so you make it longer?

Twist: Probably not the greatest name for baseball. When I hear that, I thing tropical twist rather than tornadoes.

Gunslingers: Names ok, but el paso is in texas

Ottawa: What does serpents have to do with lakes?

I'd suggest:

Someone cannot read a map.

I'm late to this party and not much of a baseball fan to be honest but having lived a good portion of my life in Albuquerque I just wanted to say that is absolutely wonderful work on everything for that team. It's a good clean look overall with some wonderful local touches, very nicely done.

I'd suggest:

Someone cannot read a map.

Excuse me :angered:

I'd suggest:

Orcas: ok, that one's alright

Rappers: Ummm... creative and different

Firebirds: Ok

Rams: SL is too long so you make it longer?

Twist: Probably not the greatest name for baseball. When I hear that, I thing tropical twist rather than tornadoes.

Gunslingers: Names ok, but el paso is in texas

Ottawa: What does serpents have to do with lakes?

Serpents, well the Loch Ness Monster lives in a lake

Twist, can also be twisters

How about the San Antonio Vipers? And if you were to stay true to the SA sports culture down there, it's all about silver, black and white. Peter Holt owns most of the sports teams and would probably own this one as well.

And the fact macklemore is from Seattle not portland

Still

No, your point still doesn't stand.

How about Portland Burn

Still

How about Portland Burn

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT MACKLEMORE

Still