NFL Draft Live

Dexter Morgan

Does A.J. Jenkins return punts? :rolleyes:

He is fast, but Andy Lee is probably stronger. He was not considered a top ten WR by most.

Not saying you're wrong because I don't know where you were looking, but nearly every source I saw had Jenkins in the top 10 of this year's WR crop. McShay and Scouts, Inc had him as their #7 WR and slotted him in the 2nd round. So while it was surprising to see him go #30, it's not ridiculous.

Plus, being an alumnus, I watched a lot of Illinois football this year. AJ had an unbelievable first half of the season. He cooled a bit in the middle before picking it up again, but he was very, very good in college and could be a solid #2 WR in the NFL.

He was most likely going to be there for SF at #61 overall. His best production was against the weaker competition (first half of the season).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is fast, but Andy Lee is probably stronger. He was not considered a top ten WR by most.

Not saying you're wrong because I don't know where you were looking, but nearly every source I saw had Jenkins in the top 10 of this year's WR crop. McShay and Scouts, Inc had him as their #7 WR and slotted him in the 2nd round. So while it was surprising to see him go #30, it's not ridiculous.

Plus, being an alumnus, I watched a lot of Illinois football this year. AJ had an unbelievable first half of the season. He cooled a bit in the middle before picking it up again, but he was very, very good in college and could be a solid #2 WR in the NFL.

He was most likely going to be there for SF at #61 overall. His best production was against the weaker competition (first half of the season).

There's also the fact that Illinois could not move the ball any way at all the second half of the year. Jenkins will probably be a good #2 receiver, but I think the 49ers really reached to get him in the first round. He's also a guy that thinks he's a lot better than he is and being picked in the first round will just add to that.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Weeden isn't the sexy pick, but if you can get 7 solid years out of - which isn't far fetched - it could be a very good pick. When you are a team with so many holes like Browns, these later picks are tough due to all the trading up and maneuvering. When it comes to the Browns, you don't have the luxury of reaching for a player and letting him develop like teams like the Patriots and Steelers do.

I don't think McCoy even has a shot at starting this year. You don't draft 28 year old rookie in the first round to compete for the starting job. It's Weeden's to loose.

I'm with ClevelandHomer6 on this one, I don't think it's that bad a pick for the Browns. A lot of people thought Weeden was the 3rd best QB in this draft. If the only knock people can come up with against him is his age, well, that's not much of an argument. If they can get even three solid years out of the guy, they've put themselves in a good position for the future. Get a few years out of Weeden and work towards getting a "franchise" QB when you're in position to actually get one. Let's be honest, it's not like the Browns are one solid draft pick from contention.

Would I have rather seen them draft Weeden in the 3rd round? Sure, but he would have never lasted that long. Again, if the biggest knock on him is his age, then we need to work harder on our hatin'. If you need a QB and he's the best one available, you make the pick. Period. Besides, it's not like the pick was all that shocking. I heard quite a few "experts" predicting the Browns would do exactly what they've done up to this point. Well, except for the idiotic move of trading 4 picks to move up one slot. Y'all need to relax. It's not the disaster you're making it out to be. I really like the pick.

BB52Big.jpg

That's all well and good, but doesn't change the fact that he was considered a top 10 WR by many, many pundits. And I'd venture to say the vast majority had him in their top 10, but I didn't see every mock draft out there.

Also:

VS Arizona State 6 REC, 103 YDS, 1 TD

VS Northwestern 12 REC, 268 YDS, 3 TDS

VS Ohio State 8 REC, 80 YDS

AT Purdue 8 REC, 92 YDS

VS Michigan 8 REC, 103 YDS

VS UCLA 6 REC, 80 YDS, 1 TD

Not as weak of a second half as I thought, and I just listed the legit teams Illinois faced. Some were on a down year, but all still decent, major conference teams.

SF might have had him in RD 2. But it wasn't a certainty. Was it a reach? Yeah, probably was. But it's not like they drafted some late-round flier type of guy on Day 1.

Hey look at dfwabel. King of Wikipedia.

I gotta say, I'm so stoked at the Cowboys selecting Morris Claiborne. This off-season we turned one of our weaknesses into an absolute strength, which we need given that we play in division with some great quarterbacks. Now the 'Boys need to address our other weaknesses, namely DE, NT (this would put Ratliff over to DE which would help the Cowboys), OL (can never have enough good OL's), OLB and FS.

I can't wait for the season to start.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Hey look at dfwabel. King of Wikipedia.

Swing and a miss like many picks by GMs.

Why should I even go to on Wikipedia when I buy an Ourlads' draft guide annually, but have also bought or received others like Kiper since 1994.

I gotta say, I'm so stoked at the Cowboys selecting Morris Claiborne. This off-season we turned one of our weaknesses into an absolute strength, which we need given that we play in division with some great quarterbacks. Now the 'Boys need to address our other weaknesses, namely DE, NT (this would put Ratliff over to DE which would help the Cowboys), OL (can never have enough good OL's), OLB and FS.

You have little idea on the talent DAL has. You might be the biggest homer here. They are not a player away from a Super Bowl, even with randomness.

In the last three hours, they gave up the #45 overall to get Claiborne. Meanwhile, the PHL got a pass rusher to attack the Cowboys crappy OL (Cox), the NYG got a better RB than Jacobs (Wilson), and WAS got a better QB (RGIII). The cowboys spent a second round pick on Jacob Rogers!

Going into Friday, the Cowboys gave up the #45 pick, so in essence, in two years, their second round is with Bruce Carter, last year's 2nd round pick who only played in ten games. They needed that second round pick on either side of the ball.

Jerry just recycled his first round picks:

2002: Roy WIlliams (OU)

2003:: T. Newman for Mike Jenkins (2008)

2004: No first round

2005: Ware and Spears

2006: Bobby Carpenter for Sean Lee (2nd round in 2010)

2007: Anthony Spencer

2008: Felix Jones (a Jerry/Arkansas pick)

Mike Jenkins (on his way out) and replaced by Claiborne

2009: No pick as a result of the WR Roy Williams trade

2010: Dez Bryant

2011: Tyron Smith

2012: Morris Claiborne

Jerry just seems to redraft the same positions he used early (1st and 2nd round ) pics on meanwhile his QB ages and gets slower and DeMarcus Ware has to be sack intensive more than any other single player.

David Wilson made no sense. IF yo're going to draft him, why not James?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

/Starts season 2-3

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Weeden isn't the sexy pick, but if you can get 7 solid years out of - which isn't far fetched - it could be a very good pick. When you are a team with so many holes like Browns, these later picks are tough due to all the trading up and maneuvering. When it comes to the Browns, you don't have the luxury of reaching for a player and letting him develop like teams like the Patriots and Steelers do.

I don't think McCoy even has a shot at starting this year. You don't draft 28 year old rookie in the first round to compete for the starting job. It's Weeden's to loose.

I'm with ClevelandHomer6 on this one, I don't think it's that bad a pick for the Browns. A lot of people thought Weeden was the 3rd best QB in this draft. If the only knock people can come up with against him is his age, well, that's not much of an argument. If they can get even three solid years out of the guy, they've put themselves in a good position for the future. Get a few years out of Weeden and work towards getting a "franchise" QB when you're in position to actually get one. Let's be honest, it's not like the Browns are one solid draft pick from contention.

Would I have rather seen them draft Weeden in the 3rd round? Sure, but he would have never lasted that long. Again, if the biggest knock on him is his age, then we need to work harder on our hatin'. If you need a QB and he's the best one available, you make the pick. Period. Besides, it's not like the pick was all that shocking. I heard quite a few "experts" predicting the Browns would do exactly what they've done up to this point. Well, except for the idiotic move of trading 4 picks to move up one slot. Y'all need to relax. It's not the disaster you're making it out to be. I really like the pick.

I wear that badge with pride! No matter what, I'll tell it like it is. I don't make excuses for this town.

To be honest, I think the better pick would have been DeCastro at 22. You can move Pinkston back to his RT spot, and then you have Thomas, DeCastro, Mack, Lavou and Pinkston across the line. I think that's a young, solid core that could protect the QB and also block for the new power run game. I think Weeden could have fallen to 37, but not the third round. But nothing is definitive with this draft. The amount of trading and maneuvering was off the charts. I think we are going to see a lot more of that in the coming years. If DeCastro was gone, I would have liked to see them take Mercilus. We saw the impact Shabal Sheard made coming off the end with no one opposite of him (Jaime Mitchell). If they could have added a pass rushing DE to compliment Sheard, I think the Browns could have strengthened their strength (the defensive line) now stacking Mercilus, Rubin, Taylor, and Sheard... all under the age of 25. With a young, solid, attacking DL, the Browns could have effectively plugged another whole (CB/Cover Safety) for at least the season.

It was just reported that the Browns told Coly McCoy that they wouldn't take a QB in the first round. They were targeting Kendell Wright at 22, but when he got picked, they went in to scramble mode and didn't want to gamble losing Weeden too. They are also in talks with the Packers about trading McCoy for a Chances are, it would be a 6th round pick or a 7th + a player. Although I don't think they overpaid for Richardson, if they get another pick out of it, it makes it easier to swallow, even if its a late round pick for tomorrow.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

/Starts season 2-3

As cliche as it sounds, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Just look at the Bears and the Bucs. If I was a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be worried at their record after 5 games, as much as I would be worried about them playing well in the 4th quarter, which they had issues with last year. I mean, 0-5 would raise some red flags. But 2-3 or 3-2 would be acceptable if they aren't collpasing.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Agree or disagree, Brandon Weeden will be the Browns starting QB by week 6?

I'd be surprised if he didn't start week 1. You don't draft a 28 year old in the first round to sit on the bench.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Agree or disagree, Brandon Weeden will be the Browns starting QB by week 6?

I'd be surprised if he didn't start week 1. You don't draft a 28 year old in the first round to sit on the bench.

Yeah the second the Browns made that pick, Colt McCoy was gone.

I don't know where he's going but he is definitely not going to be a Brown by the time training camp rolls around. I'd be surprised if he's even still on the roster after this weekend. My guess is they're probably just going to take best offer available before the start of the second round. I'd be surprised if they got more then a fifth round pick for him though.

/Starts season 2-3

As cliche as it sounds, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Just look at the Bears and the Bucs. If I was a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be worried at their record after 5 games, as much as I would be worried about them playing well in the 4th quarter, which they had issues with last year. I mean, 0-5 would raise some red flags. But 2-3 or 3-2 would be acceptable if they aren't collpasing.

I think the Cowboys are going to surprise people this year. The Giants and Eagles are probably going to be picked over the Cowboys this year, but we'll see. I just can't wait.

Go Cowboys!

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

True enough. And as I said before, drafting a running back in this league doesn't make any sense unless you have a good QB.

And drafting a good QB doesn't mean anything if you don't have an O line.

Richardson is going to be a bust. They should've drafted DeCastro from Stanford, then drafted Doug Martin where they drafted Weeden. McCoy is not the problem. The problem is that they have no offensive line (there is a reason Peyton Hillis didn't like playing in Cleveland). Cleveland soolved absolutely nothing with these picks.

Archived