Cleveland Scene Article on Chief Wahoo

mania

i have two solutions that, as controversial as they may be, would actually make me pretty happy.

1) simply become the Cleveland Tribe, and drop Wahoo's image. you can do a lot with a native american theme, without using a cartoon face.

2) start using imagery from India. again, no caricatures, but how am i the only person annoyed that they're still using the ignorant christopher columbus nickname for natives?

The bottom line is that you're purely ignorant of the situation. If you would go out and read a little bit on modern day Native Americans, you would see that there are many who PREFER to be called American Indians. "Indians" doesn't have a negative connotation for many natives. It's pure myth that all people of native ancestry or who are native themselves think that Indian is a racist or offensive name. I see why you would be offended but you shouldn't be. No one should feel guilty about the name "Indians". Need I give some banal examples?

http://nmai.si.edu/home/

http://www.ncai.org/

I'm not trying to suggest that American Indian groups always represent the Natives themselves in the most considerate way. It's much more complicated than that. But you can at least see here that the name "Indian" isn't really that controversial.

Tf9TG.jpg

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not on any crusade to get rid of Chief Wahoo. I'm simply pointing out how flawed your argument, and all the other arguments in support of Chief Wahoo are. You all don't seem to comprehend ( or, more likely, don't care) that you are arguing in support of a logo that is every bit the equivalent of a ridiculous caricature of a black man that's the logo for a team called the Sambos. But please feel free to continue being completely tone deaf on the issue.

*You're right, Chief Wahoo gear is pretty hard to find. I'm sure there's a huge demand for something that's been plastered on everything from hats to ashtrays for the last 50 years. What's next, making a "nice profit" off your collection of Pepsi cans? :rolleyes:

*Note the correct usage of you're.

(a bunch of blathering that was deleted in the interest of saving some space...)

Obviously I'm Trolling.

(more blathering that was deleted in the interest of saving some space.)

There's the only legitimate statement in your little speech. At least you're honest about it. I can respect that.

BB52Big.jpg

Forget the politics of it, I just think it's an ugly logo especially for a baseball cap. I think it's telling that the vast majority of teams choose to use letters on their caps rather than images. Moreover, it has little history behind it. The Indians won their two championships without Wahoo on the cap.

Look at iconic images of Bob Feller, Larry Doby, Frank Robinson, Bob Lemon, Lou Boudreau, etc, you won't see them wearing Wahoo caps, they either wore the wishbone "C" or the funky 70's "C." So it's not as if the Wahoo cap is something they've worn consistently since the 1910s like other historical clubs.

So I don't think it'd be a big deal to wipe Wahoo off the caps based purely on aesthetic and team history grounds. If a "C" cap was good enough for most of their legendary players then it's good enough for today's.

I'm not on any crusade to get rid of Chief Wahoo. I'm simply pointing out how flawed your argument, and all the other arguments in support of Chief Wahoo are. You all don't seem to comprehend ( or, more likely, don't care) that you are arguing in support of a logo that is every bit the equivalent of a ridiculous caricature of a black man that's the logo for a team called the Sambos. But please feel free to continue being completely tone deaf on the issue.

*You're right, Chief Wahoo gear is pretty hard to find. I'm sure there's a huge demand for something that's been plastered on everything from hats to ashtrays for the last 50 years. What's next, making a "nice profit" off your collection of Pepsi cans? :rolleyes:

(a bunch of blathering that was deleted in the interest of saving some space...)

Obviously I'm Trolling.

There's the only legitimate statement in your little speech. At least you're honest about it. I can respect that.

If an opinion is different then yours , you call it blathering.

Funny- I personally think your going no where in your arguments and every wahoo thread becomes a joke usually shortly after you get into it.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Moreover, it has little history behind it. The Indians won their two championships without Wahoo on the cap.

This. Wahoo's been around for a long time, but they've never really won anything with him. If anything he could be seen as representing the team's long championship drought.

Ultimately though infrared said it best. If a Wahoo-like logo was black, Hispanic, Jewish, or Asian it would have been dropped decades ago. So why is it suddenly ok to keep as a Native American?

Short (and correct) answer is that it isn't. It's an embarrassment to the team that still uses it, and it's even more embarrassing for the fans who claim it's some vital part of Cleveland's heritage. If a racist cartoon is that integral to your community's heritage then you've got deeper issues then what the local baseball team wears.

Obviously I'm Trolling.

Funny- I personally think your going no where in your arguments and every wahoo thread becomes a joke usually shortly after you get into it.

You know, there was time when I would have taken the bait and busted you up for as many rounds as you wanted to go. But I'm not like that anymore. Instead, I'm just going to sit back and watch you self-destruct.

I will say this, you'd do well to learn the difference between your and you're. And it's nowhere, chief.

BB52Big.jpg

I will say this, you'd do well to learn the difference between your and you're. And it's nowhere, chief.

I'm not sure what the term for it is, but there's something ironic or at least a little funny about this tongue.gif

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Obviously I'm Trolling.

You know, there was time when I would have taken the bait and busted you up for as many rounds as you wanted to go. But I'm not like that anymore. Instead, I'm just going to sit back and watch you self-destruct.

Once again, on my phone Villager - but I will make sure

my autocorrect does not reflect poorly on my mastery of the English language.

You're really milking this issue are you not? Would it not be a better use of your time to visit the Cleveland area and rally support instead of engaging in a meaningless back and forth with a mutt from Miami?

If you'd like change, make it so with your actions- not your veiled internet words.

N U R Lcky I N0 T@|_k LYL Diz

Quite simply, one does not have the right to determine how to publicly depict a group to which one does not belong. Moreover, one does not have the right to decide for a group to which one does not belong whether a depiction is offencive to that group. I have both Section 2(a) of the Lanham Act, plus a few thousand years of the Golden Rule, to back me up on this claim.

rATMcmK.png

And the second one down on the right isn't offensive, but that's my opinion only.

Once they went to that smiling joke it became offensive.

I wonder witch one your gonna be mad at the most.

I wonder witch one really grinds you're gears.

A possibly failed attempt to steer this thread in the right direction:

ClevelandIndiansLogoConcept.png

I don't think anything is acceptable- any team with Indians in its name and a feather in it's cap is going to draw criticism.

It's Indians or Spiders in my mind. They can't ditch chief wahoo and keep the name Indians. All or nothing.

That C as a stand alone is a beauty tho

Archived