NFL Draft Picks With Their New Uniforms

swilson160

Interesting piece on PFT:

===

For first time ever, player jerseys were customized on site

Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT

Backstage last night at Radio City Music Hall, well before the Chiefs? selection with the 11th pick in the draft was announced, I saw someone carrying a red jersey with white letters and yellow trim that had the name ?POE? on the back. I resisted the temptation (unlike another guy in the media who repeatedly took a page from his apple-eating Biblical namesake) to broadcast the pick via Twitter. Besides, I was more curious about something else.

How many different jerseys with ?POE? on the back were in the building, and how could I finagle one of them?

League spokesman Brian McCarthy has supplied the answer: None.

For the first time ever, Nike was customizing the jerseys on site. Thus, for any of the 26 men in the green room, a jersey would have been instantly prepared for any team taking any player.

Brian sent along the picture of the process, with the names of each player ready to be printed up and applied to the back of the jerseys.

So there will be no collector?s items this year or, apparently, in any future years, like the Colts jersey bearing the name and number of Ryan Leaf, which Dan Patrick has in his studio.

===

Crazy! My buddies and I were talking about this last night. I thought each team would bring in 20-30 jerseys with names already sewn for the event. My friend commented it'd be amazing if they were stitched at the draft. He was right.

staples center has something similar where you can can get a personalized lakers/clippers/kings jersey in something like 5 minutes via this crazy machine...unfortunately I didn't see it run though...after seeing the 1st 10 picks getting their names on the back I figured that something similar had to be going on.

not sure how the nameplates were applied though...I doubt they were sewed on...maybe velcro or glue?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

===

Backstage last night at Radio City Music Hall, well before the Chiefs? selection with the 11th pick in the draft was announced, I saw someone carrying a red jersey with white letters and yellow trim that had the name ?POE? on the back. I resisted the temptation (unlike another guy in the media who repeatedly took a page from his apple-eating Biblical namesake) to broadcast the pick via Twitter. Besides, I was more curious about something else.

How many different jerseys with ?POE? on the back were in the building, and how could I finagle one of them?

For the first time ever, Nike was customizing the jerseys on site. Thus, for any of the 26 men in the green room, a jersey would have been instantly prepared for any team taking any player.

Brian sent along the picture of the process, with the names of each player ready to be printed up and applied to the back of the jerseys.

So there will be no collector?s items this year or, apparently, in any future years, like the Colts jersey bearing the name and number of Ryan Leaf, which Dan Patrick has in his studio.

===

Crazy! My buddies and I were talking about this last night. I thought each team would bring in 20-30 jerseys with names already sewn for the event. My friend commented it'd be amazing if they were stitched at the draft. He was right.

staples center has something similar where you can can get a personalized lakers/clippers/kings jersey in something like 5 minutes via this crazy machine...unfortunately I didn't see it run though...after seeing the 1st 10 picks getting their names on the back I figured that something similar had to be going on.

not sure how the nameplates were applied though...I doubt they were sewed on...maybe velcro or glue?

Probably glue, if they weren't sewn. Maybe like glue on the back of a jersey patch - just heat up, and iron on. Velco name plates don't lie super "flat" per se. If you look at a military uniform, you can definitely see the difference between velcro and sewn-on.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

===

===

Probably glue, if they weren't sewn. Maybe like glue on the back of a jersey patch - just heat up, and iron on. Velco name plates don't lie super "flat" per se. If you look at a military uniform, you can definitely see the difference between velcro and sewn-on.

I was definitely leaning away from velco...nonetheless uniwatch has visual evidence of the nameplate creation and believe it or not they were using a good old fashioned sewing machine...pretty impressive.

===

===

That's hook-and-pile to you, sir. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I tried to post once, but I'll try again. I'm a little bothered by Griffin III being on the jersey. Isn't that a little overkill? Is it because they market RG3? What's next, the guy with the hyphen last name with that like Johnson-Griffin IV or the triple hyphen name when Rogers-Cromartie's kids get older?

KISSwall09.jpg

I tried to post once, but I'll try again. I'm a little bothered by Griffin III being on the jersey. Isn't that a little overkill? Is it because they market RG3? What's next, the guy with the hyphen last name with that like Johnson-Griffin IV or the triple hyphen name when Rogers-Cromartie's kids get older?

It's not a big deal. You may be the only one. I mean, it is his name. Jones-Drew does it.

Archived