Rutgers New Football Uniforms

djam2410

All Nike football uniforms are starting to look the same to me. Not a fan.

At first glance, yes. True, they all may have their inherent unique subtleties, but on the surface...this quoted post pretty well hits it on the head. At the root, it also is what's irking several around here such as Harry and myself: more and more it appears Nike (but they're not alone) is highlighting the value of their own brand image over the school athletic programs they outfit. As proof of the pudding, ask yourself this question: when you see this Rutgers set, the new Missouri set, the recent Arizona State set, Oklahoma State, or Washington State (and there's others I could include), does one see the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Missouri Tigers, Arizona State Sun Devils, Oklahoma State Cowboys, and Washington State Cougars...or do you first see fancy new uniforms created by Nike before seeing the team? Now ask the same question of those five programs...in the mindset of someone in Nike's creative department.

Assuming they see Nike first: who cares? It still gets buzz around the program (which undoubtedly helps in recruiting). It gets more fans to buy more apparel (which means more advertising for the school and money since it is all licensed). It gets more people watching the team's games. And it gets more people excited/interested about the school/program.

Win-Win-Win-Win-Win.

signed

an employee of a Nike school

See how easy (and cheap) that is?

Except I don't work for Nike, a Nike school or a school. He actaully does work for adidas.

Like Buc I take issue with Nike putting their brand before the schools' brands in their new uniform designs because I'm a fan of uniform and logo design. I don't want to see teams sacrifice their aesthetic traditions to the big manufactures just to chase fleeting trends.

Then get mad at the teams for doing it, not Nike. Teams control their identity. Their contracts with Nike don't remove their decision-making ability. If it is a Nike problem, why doesn't every Nike school have uniforms like this?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a definite upgrade. Let's all be honest and say that the prior Rutgers set was bland. This is creative without being "Oregon-esque" over the top. The numbers have the handle of a sword as the edge, and the striping is the tip of a sword. There's not stupid piping showing off the seems, and it's, just clean. This is how you upgrade to a creative look. Good job Rutgers.

This is what kills me. What about the function of a uniform requires it to be creative or exciting? What a football team wears is akin to what a cop or a janitor or someone who works on a carrier deck wears. A football game is not a runway show. It's not a design showcase.

Um...I don't sit front of my TV for hours on end watching janitors clean bathrooms. Terrible analogy. Football is entertainment, and indeed is a fashion show. New uniforms and designs are why the CCSLC exists. Teams probably would not have new uniforms if people didn't participate.

You're smarter than this.

Smart enough to realize that every time something new and exciting like this hits the field in college football, the value of the schools' traditions are lessened and it makes us as a society look more and more foolish and materialistic. Nike is creating Nike traditions and putting schools who have 130 years of their own traditions in the position of, "Hey, how about you abandon all that, and enter in this cycle of redesigning every couple years, helping us make money? You'll be in the news even if you suck. What could be better!?" We're no longer putting teams in uniforms. They now wear costumes. This crud belongs at a suburban Renaissance Fair.

signed,

an adidas employee

He's right, regardless of who he works for.

But the team/school is making the ultimate decision.

Nike isn't asking the question and then answering it for the school. Rutgers has decided that getting more good recruits, winning and building the fanbase is more important than catering to the dozens of loyal Rutgers football fans that existed before 2008 or so.

Nike couldn't force Rutgers to change their uniforms any more than they could force Penn State to. Rutgers made a decision and this is the result.

yea i think we have to blame the schools as much as anyone.

my biggest problem with the schools (and Nike shares a little blame too) is they dont really know who they are. i guess thats easy to fall into when the sad truth is, you're nobody important. so they jump on a trend to become relevant. its profitable short term but has no long term solution. im not a fan of "traditional" or "modern" design i just like things that are good, and when an identity is good it reflects the brand.

i believe what Buc was alluding to in his great post is true "brand" (if i can put some words into his mouth, lol) the reason why Texas's uniforms work for them is because they value simplicity in life and are an "old school" football program. they are a true cowboy/blue collar school. their uniforms have been described as "work clothes". they are the Every Man brand archetype, who do not fall for trends; they are afraid of standing out too much. also see Nebraska and Penn State

then you have Oregon (also see Boise State) who is truly changing the way the game is played. the way they practice and play is reflective of who they are. they want to blaze their own path. they dont care about doing things the way they've always been done they want to find a better way of doing it. that shows in their identity. thats why it works for them. plus, they always seem to get Nike's best effort.

with Rutgers, i think they have a cool helmet but thats it. wheres the emotional connection here? wheres the personality? who are they supposed to be? who do they want to be? all they are is a school riding a trend to be cool. it might have turned out all right is they got Nike's best effort like Washington State or ASU or maybe Mizzou. but its just sad to look at right now

for the record i think the best work in 2011 by far came from Adidas. not only were their designs solid, but the schools (Notre Dame and Michigan especially) know who they are and what they're about. thats when great design happens. its a combination of client and designer. both have to know what they are doing and why

Adidas' under the lights was not bad, but niether Michigan nor Notre Dame's UTL uniforms were better than what they wear on any other Saturday and the Northwestern purple things mad my eyes bleed.

It's not like adidas doesn't mess with tradition. UCLA wore white helmets against their biggest rival last year. When's the last time UCLA wore white helmets? The USC-UCLA matchup had recently been great with the cardinal-powder blue matchup, but adidas changed all that. Where's the "OMG THEY'RE STOMPING ON TRADITION!!!!!111!!11!" outcry?

Luckily, UCLA lost by 50.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Orrrr maybe you just don't like the uniforms. I mean, seriously, the Nike-bashing has reached ridiculous levels.

Just as the Nike-worshipping has as well.

There are quite a few people here who orgasm over the sight of everything the swoosh has to offer, whether it's 50 shades of gray for 50 shades of gray's sake, random piping, or illegible fonts, tradition-be-damned.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Orrrr maybe you just don't like the uniforms. I mean, seriously, the Nike-bashing has reached ridiculous levels.

Just as the Nike-worshipping has as well.

There are quite a few people here who orgasm over the sight of everything the swoosh has to offer, whether it's 50 shades of gray for 50 shades of gray's sake, random piping, or illegible fonts, tradition-be-damned.

That's because some people like uniforms based on how they are as a uniform, not if they break tradition or not. Some Nike stuff is good, some is bad. Some Adidas stuff is good, some is bad. It's not one company ruining everything. To think that is rediculous.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

050212_rutgersuniform_dngla.jpg

The numbers are a lot darker and the helmets a lot shinier than the Nike produced image.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/college_sports/Rutgers_unveils_new_uniforms_for_2012_season.html

they look better on the players than in the photshops...I think the designs would be solid for a few games a season but I think they will grow tired quickly as they have so much detail I think the trend will swing back to traditional.

also one thing that people haven't touched on in regard to oregon's successes is that phil knight and other donors poured a ton of money into their stadiums and training facilities so the entire athletic department is cutting edge from top to bottom...the uniforms are now just a small part...I think rutgers has some recent stadium improvements but to make the modern scarlet knight branding work it has to be followed up with major investments within the program.

This is good stuff. Sorry, guys. This is a revolution. Seeing the old Rutgers helmets...well...it kind of hit me. IM over 30. When I was 15 the uni's from when I was born looked very old. Meanwhile, these jerseys in 96 are looking great. It's the times. Things evolve. Much like how my TV in 96 looked a lot better than the one in 81. Now here we are in 2012. We are seeing things like this Rutgers upgrade. 96 looks like 81 to me. It is just the way things evolve. I love it. Jaguars are getting Nikefied next year. I am looking forward to it. Yeah, The original 95 Jags jersey were beautiful but they look old and strange in todays world. Sometimes designs get curvy. 10 years from now the block look might look normal again. Who knows? You people have to stop poo-pooing on everything that doesn't look like it belongs in 98 with an extra stripe.

That helmet is so beautiful.

P.S. I am a Florida State fan as well. As long as they keep the spear I don't care how many bells and whistles they add. Of course Nike wouldn't dare remove the spear. They would have a field day with it.

This is good stuff. Sorry, guys. This is a revolution. Things evolve.

There's that word "evolve" again. This site needs a go-to definition of "Evolve" for every time it gets dropped in a nike thread.

By the way... back in the 70's in baseball... remember the pull-over jerseys and the elastic waistbands? Wasn't that a "revolution"? You know, more comfortable... easier movement?

I also remember the "revolution" that happened when menswear "evolved" into leasure suits, and jeans "evolved" into acid washed.

Fashion has fads. Some will enjoy a fad for a while, some will reject it from the start. Then a new fad will replace it, and the process starts over.

It's not like adidas doesn't mess with tradition. UCLA wore white helmets against their biggest rival last year. When's the last time UCLA wore white helmets? The USC-UCLA matchup had recently been great with the cardinal-powder blue matchup, but adidas changed all that. Where's the "OMG THEY'RE STOMPING ON TRADITION!!!!!111!!11!" outcry?

They're also responsible for these:

2021440.jpg.31527.0_display_image.jpg

WilsonGibril4.jpg

adidas-football-2011-college-retro-jerseys-michigan-notre-dame-under-the-lights-uniform.jpg

FF_122487_xl.jpg

andrew-walter.jpg

Need I go on? If Nike came out with these uniforms, there would be a historic meltdown.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Need I go on? If Nike came out with these uniforms, there would be a historic meltdown.

Amen brother! People would go crazy if that happened!

spacer.png

There's that word "evolve" again. This site needs a go-to definition of "Evolve" for every time it gets dropped in a nike thread.

By the way... back in the 70's in baseball... remember the pull-over jerseys and the elastic waistbands? Wasn't that a "revolution"? You know, more comfortable... easier movement?

I also remember the "revolution" that happened when menswear "evolved" into leasure suits, and jeans "evolved" into acid washed.

Fashion has fads. Some will enjoy a fad for a while, some will reject it from the start. Then a new fad will replace it, and the process starts over.

The reason why it is less of a fad and more evolotion is because the old wont come back. Block numbers with one srtipe are dead for the most part.

And this Revolution has been going on since the Broncos and Hurricanes. It has been awhile. Way longer than a fad. Open your eyes and accept.

The reason why it is less of a fad and more evolotion is because the old wont come back. Block numbers with one srtipe are dead for the most part.

And this Revolution has been going on since the Broncos and Hurricanes. It has been awhile. Way longer than a fad. Open your eyes and accept.

Agreed. Plus, things don't evolve once. Things continue to evolve. So yes, maybe this won't be a thing 5-10 years from now. That's just how things are. Someone will come up with something better, and that will become the norm.

Remember when people said the internet was a fad? When people said video games were fad? When people said television was a fad? When the telephone was a fad (ok, nobody here is that old, but still). Remember when people said touch screens were a fad? All new things are seen as a fad. There are no exceptions.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

How do you know this to be the case? Weren't the pullover baseball jerseys supposed to replace button-downs entirely? What happened?

Also, there's just a little bit of wiggle room between "block numbers with one s[tr]ipe" and "everyone wears anthracite". It's a bit hyperbolic to presume that someone who laments the loss of some traditions wants every team to wear ultra-plain jerseys.

----

Looking at the non-'Shopped versions, I take back what I said about the numbers; the color's ugly and illegible. It's a shame, because I like the shape of those numbers.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Agreed. Plus, things don't evolve once. Things continue to evolve. So yes, maybe this won't be a thing 5-10 years from now. That's just how things are. Someone will come up with something better, and that will become the norm.

Remember when people said the internet was a fad? When people said video games were fad? When people said television was a fad? When the telephone was a fad (ok, nobody here is that old, but still). Remember when people said touch screens were a fad? All new things are seen as a fad. There are no exceptions.

Nailed it, Spleen. OSV thought he was explaining fads but in reality that is evolution. 15 years from now there will be uni's with some features of this but ultimatley will have a mind of it's own. Like this Rutgers uni. Like you said, it is how it works. I welcome this.

2021440.jpg.31527.0_display_image.jpg

WilsonGibril4.jpg

adidas-football-2011-college-retro-jerseys-michigan-notre-dame-under-the-lights-uniform.jpg

FF_122487_xl.jpg

andrew-walter.jpg

Those Notre Dame "Under the Lights" uniforms were fresh as hell... so were the gold leaf helmets.

And those Rutgers kits are wack... regardless of who designed them.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Expecting something to change every few years is very nearly the definition of "fad".

What's wrong with the middle ground? Why can't schools keep their traditional colors while applying new styling? Why does everything need to be "we've gotta chase that next big thing NOW NOW NOW"? While it is true that there's evolution, there's also something to be said for demonstrating a solid foundation with staying power.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Mockba, Like I said, this trend isn't old. It started in 96/97. We have been witnessing it's growth. I don't understand how people see this as a new thing. The recent growth has made it more noticeable. Do fads last over 15 years? I don't even think it is close to it's peak. That's my POV, anywho.

Archived