Rutgers New Football Uniforms

djam2410

Having looked at more than just the head-on look, I like a number of the concepts in this... but not the way they come together. If they'd drop the anthracite but keep the silver (yes--there are two "gray" colors!) and incorporate the stripes more consistently (the shoulder loops are completely out of line with the rest of the striping), this could definitely work better. I think I'd still prefer a red helmet, since their history is based around a red helmet. The numbers look nice--I'd like to see the whole set--and actually work pretty well in silver.

As for the mono... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number font is pretty cool, not sure how I feel about the rest quite yet. I loved their old helmets, white always pops off of red with a black outline, and it looks damn good. What's the story behind the pattern on the helmet and shoulders?

jNFqw.gif

Something went very wrong in the design process. That number font is bad and the lack of a red helmet is quite glaring, among other problems.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

jNFqw.gif

Something went very wrong in the design process. That number font is bad and the lack of a red helmet is quite glaring, among other problems.

That is the perfect reaction to yet another overkill, overreach, or attempt to be "kewl edge" at the expense of "cool classic".

This is a great look for Rutgers especially taking in consideration what their alternate logo looks like: uakjmedjwh9ndzd4lkll.gif

The silver helmet along with the solid red uniform set looks like a knight would look like. This logo makes even more sense of what a Scarlett Knight looks like:

2592.gifuniform_comp.jpg

spacer.png

This is a great look for Rutgers especially taking in consideration what their alternate logo looks like: uakjmedjwh9ndzd4lkll.gif

The silver helmet along with the solid red uniform set looks like a knight would look like. This logo makes even more sense of what a Scarlett Knight looks like:

2592.gifuniform_comp.jpg

I would've liked it if they would've used more silver and less black. Still, I think this is a perfect look for them.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Definite upgrade... those helmets are sick. I love traditional uniforms as much as most of you... but you can't deny those. I was pretty skeptical before watching the video, but I really like those now.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

What in the hell happened to Rutgers ???

I'm freaking speechless and I'm not even a RU fan this is an abomination to their history & uniforms.

The only thing I like is the number font and really 3 of the same helmets just different color striping?

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I think people are really overrating Rutgers' history while bashing these uniforms. The program's all-time record is barely over .500 and they've never really had sustained success. They went 27 years between their first and second bowl appearances in program history, for Christ's sake! I really don't see the grand "tradition" that Nike somehow crapped on this time around.

Sure, it's cool and all that they played in the first college football game ever, but let's not pretend they have tradition on the level of Bama/Michigan/tOSU/USC/etc. It just seems like people are reaching for another cliche reason to bash Nike for thinking outside the box.

Not to mention - the whole "it's too traditional, we can't change the uniforms" argument is dumb across the board, IMO - it implies that the uniform design had any role in all the games and championships the team won, and that tweaking the uniform even in the slightest would somehow cancel out all that history, even if they look better as a result.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That's actually what uniforms should do, reflect the team that wears them.

Not exactly. A uniform is meant to differentiate one team from another and display numerals to identify each player, first and foremost, bar none. These look like every other second-tier Nike school, and grey numbers on white are going to draw the ire of spotters and announcers unless the grey is darker than that.

Reflect the team that wears them? Yes, it would be great if these uniforms reflected Rutgers University even a little bit. You know... red, white, a little black trim.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Love the new Rutgers look. Love the font, love the modernization. It's going to look slick on the field.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I think people are really overrating Rutgers' history while bashing these uniforms. The program's all-time record is barely over .500 and they've never really had sustained success. They went 27 years between their first and second bowl appearances in program history, for Christ's sake! I really don't see the grand "tradition" that Nike somehow crapped on this time around.

Sure, it's cool and all that they played in the first college football game ever, but let's not pretend they have tradition on the level of Bama/Michigan/tOSU/USC/etc. It just seems like people are reaching for another cliche reason to bash Nike for thinking outside the box.

Not to mention - the whole "it's too traditional, we can't change the uniforms" argument is dumb across the board, IMO - it implies that the uniform design had any role in all the games and championships the team won, and that tweaking the uniform even in the slightest would somehow cancel out all that history, even if they look better as a result.

This.

Yes, they are an old program, but they have no tradition. Alalbama has tradition. Penn State has tradition. Hell, Boise State has more tradition than Rutgers (if you include their FCS years, when they won titles). Rutgers is not destroying anything sacred or special like some other schools would be if they changed. If anything, they are welcoming themselves to the "big time". If I were a Rutgers fan, I would be glad. Say what you want about the uniforms, but the fact that Nike put this much effort into them (instead of just giving them a template and recoloring it, like they did with Fresno State and Utah State) means that Rutgers is being recognized as at least somewhat of a major program.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow I'm not understanding all the hate in these I think they are perfect for Rutgers they reflect an actual knight which is what they are. That's actually what uniforms should do, reflect the team that wears them.

So I assume these uniforms are expensive as :censored: , useless in the heat, slow the players that wear them down, and leave them vulnerable to any team with a high speed passing attack.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived