Rutgers New Football Uniforms

djam2410

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

538420_357004097681774_127620767286776_920143_1962989431_n.jpg

I like these uniforms. The wannabe Penn State look never really did it for me.

I'm not sure how I feel about helmets with a fake wear-and-tear design, though. If you want to show scuffs and dings on a helmet, that's fine, but it should really be ones that were earned on the field.

It's not supposed to be wear-and-tear from playing football. It's supposed to look like a knight's helmet with battle scars.

I usually do not like to show my disdain for Nike creations but this is one of the worst uniform designs I have seen.

It does not matter whether Rutgers had the most wins in college football or lost the most games nobody should wear these uniforms.

This looks like a bad Arena Football League design.

My biggest issue is the grey numbers on scarlet jersey. If I squint, I can't make out the numbers at all.

This set would look better if they used this logo:

2596.gif

more than the uninspiring block "R" for everything - or if they used the helmet head as the primary.

This is a definite upgrade. Let's all be honest and say that the prior Rutgers set was bland. This is creative without being "Oregon-esque" over the top. The numbers have the handle of a sword as the edge, and the striping is the tip of a sword. There's not stupid piping showing off the seems, and it's, just clean. This is how you upgrade to a creative look. Good job Rutgers.

This is what kills me. What about the function of a uniform requires it to be creative or exciting? What a football team wears is akin to what a cop or a janitor or someone who works on a carrier deck wears. A football game is not a runway show. It's not a design showcase. These are uniforms, and Rutgers previous plain red getup with white logos, lettering and numerals with the minimal black trim was great. It was recognizable as Rutgers and looked professional. They might as well be wearing pants that are sublimated to look like jeans or a jersey with a faux lapel that's supposed to look like a tuxedo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Because people like creativity and excitement? I mean, I really don't get the snippy "uniforms are supposed to display numbers, period, NO FUN ALLOWED" posts that are so common on here. If that were the case, what would be the point of this website? Every uniform would look like this:

nl_1901_chicago.gif

F90%20Jersey%20pic.jpg

mbb_red_32__350.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, I shouldn't have said, "This is what kills me..." That sounds snippy, but I'm not intending to be snippy. I'm seriously wondering why some people think that the uniform needs to be fun to look at. It's interesting to me why some people are more enamored with and focused on the uniform than the team or the game itself. To me, it undermines the point of the game when people are bummed because the uniforms aren't flashy enough.

Part of identifying a team is using their traditions to create tasteful, dignified uniforms. What Rutgers and many other schools have done goes beyond that, abandoning their traditions to create something that a Disney World employee would wear.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, I shouldn't have said, "This is what kills me..." That sounds snippy, but I'm not intending to be snippy. I'm seriously wondering why some people think that the uniform needs to be fun to look at. It's interesting to me why some people are more enamored with and focused on the uniform than the team or the game itself. To me, it undermines the point of the game when people are bummed because the uniforms aren't flashy enough.

Part of identifying a team is using their traditions to create tasteful, dignified uniforms. What Rutgers and many other schools have done goes beyond that, abandoning their traditions to create something that a Disney World employee would wear.

Why not? It's fun. It's college. Live a little.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

After seeing the up close pic of the helmet, I have to say I'm liking these much better. The jerseys aren't that great, but the helmet looks bomb. Right now at least, I guess we'll see in game action and after action.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Let's just forget the football entirely, then. Let's just make it a fashion show, complete with squealing recruits as the audience. That's pretty much what it is already with these ridiculous "uniforms."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What tradition does Rutgers have? It sounds to me that in your world everything needs to have uniformity. If that is the case, then how about every team use

Black and White as the only teams colors?

spacer.png

Why not? It's fun. It's college. Live a little.

I understand the "fun" aspect of college and agree with it- to an extent. I don't always agree with Paul Lukas, but I think his notion of teams as partly business, partly civic entity applies here. The students and student-athletes will be at the school for four years...sometimes less for the student-athletes who go professional early. Meanwhile, you've got decades upon decades of alums who have been watching their school play ball longer than the players have been alive. Doesn't the team hold a responsibility to maintain at least some resemblance to the team they once knew and watched when they were students? By no means am I denouncing evolution or modernization. But when the change is so radical, how can fans and alums relate to what is essentially unrecognizable from the team they knew?

I understand the "fun" aspect of college and agree with it- to an extent. I don't always agree with Paul Lukas, but I think his notion of teams as partly business, partly civic entity applies here. The students and student-athletes will be at the school for four years...sometimes less for the student-athletes who go professional early. Meanwhile, you've got decades upon decades of alums who have been watching their school play ball longer than the players have been alive. Doesn't the team hold a responsibility to maintain at least some resemblance to the team they once knew and watched when they were students? By no means am I denouncing evolution or modernization. But when the change is so radical, how can fans and alums relate to what is essentially unrecognizable from the team they knew?

But isn't Rutgers a traditional soccer college versus football? Their football program never really had a true identity outside of the giant "R" on the helmet. They are the perfect type of school to experiment with their football program.

This is a definite upgrade. Let's all be honest and say that the prior Rutgers set was bland. This is creative without being "Oregon-esque" over the top. The numbers have the handle of a sword as the edge, and the striping is the tip of a sword. There's not stupid piping showing off the seems, and it's, just clean. This is how you upgrade to a creative look. Good job Rutgers.

This is what kills me. What about the function of a uniform requires it to be creative or exciting? What a football team wears is akin to what a cop or a janitor or someone who works on a carrier deck wears. A football game is not a runway show. It's not a design showcase. These are uniforms, and Rutgers previous plain red getup with white logos, lettering and numerals with the minimal black trim was great. It was recognizable as Rutgers and looked professional. They might as well be wearing pants that are sublimated to look like jeans or a jersey with a faux lapel that's supposed to look like a tuxedo.

Nike repositioned themselves in the market. they found a new niche with Oregon, blew it open with the 2010 Pro Combats and now everyone else is trying to copy. weather it should or shouldnt be isnt my concern, but the door is open now. schools arnt wanting an iconic helmet with 2 jerseys anymore. they want something more exciting. mostly because its profitable now and attention getting

this Rutgers set isnt exactly what i thought it would be (close enough though) but i still am not a huge fan. i guess we have to remember these things only need a shelf life of 1-3 years. they will change again soon. as for another school who has jumped on the trend, its alright.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What tradition does Rutgers have? It sounds to me that in your world everything needs to have uniformity. If that is the case, then how about every team use

Black and White as the only teams colors?

And let me guess, you think every school should have 60,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different combinations and should never wear the same uniform twice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I think if anybody should take this type of leap it is a school like Rutgers. Just like Oregon when Nike got their hands on them. Neither team had much of a history in College Football, so why not be one of the first to really "modernize" uniforms.

For years the only reason people talked about Oregon football was their look, then they were able to draw some better athletes and the winning followed closely.

I wish the University of Buffalo locally would do the same thing. They have NO TRADITION at all, at least we could stand out and get some press regarding our Uniforms.

Archived