Sign in to follow this  
Cujo

Junior Seau Dead

As someone who has spent their entire life saddled with mental illness, I think you calling him a coward shows lack of understanding on what mental illness can entail (if that is indeed the cause of his suicide which we obviously do not know the full details behind and may indeed never know).

I tried to kill myself before, I have had close family members who have. It wasn't because I was bullied or refused to get help. I also know it's impossible to know what that person was thinking, when I was unmedicated I was not going through the thought process of a normal person. Hell I rationalized that by killing myself I would be doing everyone else a favor, I thought I was being brave by doing it and setting everyone else free, and I absolutely 100% believed that. Like I said, I was not healthy and when evaluating the actions of the mentally ill it is foolish to do so through the perspective of a healthy mind.

Either way, a very sad story. I couldn't believe it when I heard it myself. :(

I've always really liked im, I'm shocked. Shocked. He was a Charger.

As someone who has spent their entire life straddled with mental illness, I think you calling him a coward shows lack of understanding on what mental illness can entail (if that is indeed the cause of his suicide which we obviously do not know the full details behind and may indeed never know).

If it is true that he shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for study, then we may well know the details.

Thanks to Seau. Which is its own kind of courage.

Way too bad that he is gone. One of my favorite NFL players from the 1990s.

As someone who has spent their entire life straddled with mental illness, I think you calling him a coward shows lack of understanding on what mental illness can entail (if that is indeed the cause of his suicide which we obviously do not know the full details behind and may indeed never know).

If it is true that he shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for study, then we may well know the details.

I'm not sure if we need to label him a hero quite yet. We don't know if shooting a bullet through his chest was his first or last choice.

This is so sad. It's horrible that anyone feels the need to end their own life.

RIP

Edit: ESPN's just now saying that there's only been a "shooting" at Seau's home.

There too busy covering what John Harbaugh said from every angle, and Kobe's 38 point game and is Bryce Harper the best player ever.

Actually, they've only really been covering the Vilma/Fujita/Smith/Hargrove suspensions.

ESPN probably took their time "breaking" Seau's death becuase the last thing they wanna do is swing and miss on another huge story like they did with Mickey Loomis.

Just watched the CNN video of his mother talking to the media. Holy crap. One of the most depressing things I've seen in a while

May be too soon, but I'm immediately curious if depression and CTE played a role.

It was my first thought, too. Unfortunately, there's a clear pattern emerging that makes one draw such a conclusion.

Mine as well. The fact that it was the first thing to come to mind seems to suggest this is brain injury thing is going to get much worse before it gets better. If I'm the NFL, I'm starting to get pretty nervous.

Anyway, it's a shame when anyone takes their own life.

Just watched the CNN video of his mother talking to the media. Holy crap. One of the most depressing things I've seen in a while

That was hard to watch. Someone should have pulled her away, she did not need to be interviewed, and who ever asked her to comment is why the media sucks.

Very surprising news.

RIP Junior Seau. You were a hell of a player.

I'm not sure if we need to label him a hero quite yet. We don't know if shooting a bullet through his chest was his first or last choice.

That's not what I said.

All I said was that for a man in so much pain to be concerned about helping others, that's a kind of courage. Not necessarily a hero, but hardly the coward some here have called him.

That was hard to watch. Someone should have pulled her away, she did not need to be interviewed, and who ever asked her to comment is why the media sucks.

I think she wanted to be there, sounded to me like she was venting a bit and wanted to say a few nice things about her son.

Are the authorities officially calling this a suicide? There seems to be a lot of loose ends to this story. No suicide note, gunshot wound to the chest, someone texted his ex-wife and 3 kids "I Love You" from his phone.

idk, there could be more to this.

As a mentally ill person who has attempted suicide a few times and thinks about it even in passing quite a bit, some of these comments about cowardice and selfishness and the like are making me :censored: ing livid. To anyone speaking of that, you didn't know Junior Seau. You couldn't see inside his head. How dare you call him selfish or a coward? You don't know the magnitude of the mental illnesses that plagued him. Only Junior Seau knew Junior Seau's reasons for his suicide. It's a terrible thing to play the cowardice card. Makes me sick. Come on.

RIP Junior. One of my favorite Patriots.

It says a lot about a guy when we have a 3-page death thread without one humorous "Today we are all..."

It says a lot about a guy when we have a 3-page death thread without one humorous "Today we are all..."

No death thread is exempt from the rule...

Today, we are all San Diego Chargers.

:(

No death thread is exempt from the rule...

Today, we are all San Diego Chargers.

:(

I saw that, but that one wasn't a joke, that one's acceptable-ish. I meant something like "Today we are all geriatric linebackers".

I'm just going to reiterate what others have said, but calling him a coward is wrong and disrespectful. None of you guys know what was going on inside his head. He's likely had brain issues derived from being knocked in the head countless times in his football career. If you think he's a coward, then you should put Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak in the same category because they all had similar situations. Just stop guys.

It's just awful news to hear. My condolences to the Seau family. I saw his footage of his mother... having your child gone before you would be difficult to take. No parent should EVER go through that. :(