Junior Seau Dead

Cujo

Levity has no place in this thread, so I apologize, but I do love it when DEAD! posts in these kinds of threads, and I come on the boards and see the name of the deceased, followed by DEAD!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seau took the cowards way out (if true it was a suicide). He could have got help.

Sounds like you rooted for the bullies in the movie Bully.

I never root for a bully and against bullying to thid day, I was someone who got beat up because I was shorter and chubbier than the rest. But I also had years of therapy, and spoke out to others. But I have thought of suicide when I was in my early teens because it was too much, and thought I can't take this abuse anymore. Words like f*g, fatass, short :censored:, always coming home in bruises and bullies stealing things I just got. I was unhappy and wanted to kill myself. But every time I thought about it I always thought what my parents had to go through, what my friends would go through, and letting the people who put me through hell win. It would have been the worst thing to do to the people around me. So no, I would never root for the bullies. Yes I do feel for Junior Seau, but I don't have any sympathy. Because there are other ways of therapy, doctors, and people around you that can help you than suicide.

Edit: using the word coward is a word I used for myself when I tried twice. I thought of myself as one when I thought of my parents and what they thought of my actions and going out the way if I did. If anyone is offended for my words, sorry it is something I have seen with my ex-wife tried to do many times when we were together, and my uncle who commited suicide when I was 20. To me it's a life experience of what i've gone through and why it should never come to killing yourself. Coward may be a cruel word and sorry for the word, but it should never come to suicide

You don't understand the first thing about legitimate mental illness, and you should stop posting in this thread before you completely embarrass and discredit yourself. This isn't flaming, this isn't trolling, this is trying to prevent a long time member of the board from going down a very wrong path.

Seriously - you're wrong. Stop.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A couple of items to think about tonight, regardless of if Seau did commit suicide or if it was manslaughter/homicide:

1- Seau apparently gave texts to his ex-wife, aresimilar to the messages which Dave Duerson gave.

SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla. ? The words came up on Alicia Duerson?s cellphone as blithely as text messages typically do, but this one was different: her former husband, the former Chicago Bears star Dave Duerson, asked her to donate his brain for research. She texted back and heard nothing, then called their son, Tregg, who was just ending his workday as a bank analyst in Chicago. They called again and got voice mail. The next and last message they received from Dave Duerson was meant for them, their family and perhaps all of professional football. It was written in his hurried hand, repeating his text message in case it had not been received, and found in the South Florida condominium where he placed a gun to his chest and shot himself to death last Thursday.

?Please, see that my brain is given to the N.F.L.?s brain bank.?

Alicia and Tregg Duerson cannot know and do not care to guess what his intentions were in this final request. What they do know is that, they said, it brings them some solace in a sad and confusing time.

?I think it?s just an example of the type of person he is,? Alicia Duerson said. ?In his time, he put the future in front of him ? future generations of football players in front of him. I?m just so proud of him at this moment.?

She texted back and heard nothing, then called their son, Tregg, who was just ending his workday as a bank analyst in Chicago. They called again and got voice mail.

The next and last message they received from Dave Duerson was meant for them, their family and perhaps all of professional football. It was written in his hurried hand, repeating his text message in case it had not been received, and found in the South Florida condominium where he placed a gun to his chest and shot himself to death last Thursday.

Alicia and Tregg Duerson cannot know and do not care to guess what his intentions were in this final request. What they do know is that, they said, it brings them some solace in a sad and confusing time.

?I think it?s just an example of the type of person he is,? Alicia Duerson said. ?In his time, he put the future in front of him ? future generations of football players in front of him. I?m just so proud of him at this moment.?

She texted back and heard nothing, then called their son, Tregg, who was just ending his workday as a bank analyst in Chicago. They called again and got voice mail.

The next and last message they received from Dave Duerson was meant for them, their family and perhaps all of professional football. It was written in his hurried hand, repeating his text message in case it had not been received, and found in the South Florida condominium where he placed a gun to his chest and shot himself to death last Thursday.

?I think it?s just an example of the type of person he is,? Alicia Duerson said. ?In his time, he put the future in front of him ? future generations of football players in front of him. I?m just so proud of him at this moment.

2- Prior to the draft, former Bronco/Raven/Jet Trevor Pryce wrote an essay for the New York Times about early retirement. Seau clearly did not know how to deal with life after football, hence he played for 20 seasons. When one is essentially built to play a sport, passed through the secondary education system, told to just stay eligible, then if at best play 4-6 years at the highest level, what options does one really have after the age of 50?

Class-action lawsuits to the NFL are now prevalent, NCAA, you are next!

It says a lot about a guy when we have a 3-page death thread without one humorous "Today we are all..."

No death thread is exempt from the rule...

Today, we are all San Diego Chargers.

:(

I saw that, but that one wasn't a joke, that one's acceptable-ish. I meant something like "Today we are all geriatric linebackers".

I actually came to this thread looking for a post like that. While JH42XCC's comment didn't seem like he was trying to be funny to me, are we still doing the "Today we are all..." comments? To say they're almost never funny is an understatement, and they're generally just plain disrespectful and immature.

DDR nailed it. I'd like to see the phrase pulled behind the woodshed and taken out of it's misery, ala Will Morris -- Because just like Will, not once was that sh1t funny.

6uXNWAo.png

are we still doing the "Today we are all..." comments? To say they're almost never funny is an understatement, and they're generally just plain disrespectful and immature.

It appears that the well may be running dry on that one. It's been a while since we've had a good one, but some of the old ones were hilarious.

BB52Big.jpg

You don't understand the first thing about legitimate mental illness, and you should stop posting in this thread before you completely embarrass and discredit yourself. This isn't flaming, this isn't trolling, this is trying to prevent a long time member of the board from going down a very wrong path.

With all due respect to those involved, can we extend that directive to all the other folks who seem to want to share their personal experiences with depression and attempting suicide? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or blow off your heartfelt contributions to the thread, but this really isn't the place for such confessions. As someone who has been a member here for seven years, I can assure you that your openness and honesty, however well-intentioned, is going to end up blowing up in your faces. Just some food for thought.

BB52Big.jpg

The fact that the "Today we're all" is debated and spat upon in every death thread only fuels the lifeblood of the phrase to perpetuate again and again. Don't acknowledge it and it'll stop.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

A couple of items to think about tonight, regardless of if Seau did commit suicide or if it was manslaughter/homicide:

1- Seau apparently gave texts to his ex-wife, aresimilar to the messages which Dave Duerson gave.

I have yet to see a reputable news source give any mention of Seau's texts saying they need to give his brain to science. Please provide a link if you can.

As someone who has spent their entire life straddled with mental illness, I think you calling him a coward shows lack of understanding on what mental illness can entail (if that is indeed the cause of his suicide which we obviously do not know the full details behind and may indeed never know).

If it is true that he shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for study, then we may well know the details.

Thanks to Seau. Which is its own kind of courage.

I'm not sure if we need to label him a hero quite yet. We don't know if shooting a bullet through his chest was his first or last choice.

That's not what I said.

All I said was that for a man in so much pain to be concerned about helping others, that's a kind of courage. Not necessarily a hero, but hardly the coward some here have called him.

Not sure if you would have said the same thing had he died when he drove off the cliff.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have yet to see a reputable news source give any mention of Seau's texts saying they need to give his brain to science. Please provide a link if you can.

Time, greater than the 24 hours news cycle, will provide them. Here on this site, connecting dots is what we want to do either it is an athlete or not. I also do not have a reputable source on if there was a newly signed life insurance policy either.

The NFL has a big issue even with the "88 Plan" with the current CBA and how it deals with the costs to former players.

We don't know if the shot was self inflicted or a true homicide.

Time, greater than the 24 hours news cycle, will provide them. Here on this site, connecting dots is what we want to do either it is an athlete or not. I also do not have a reputable source on if there was a newly signed life insurance policy either.

The NFL has a big issue even with the "88 Plan" with the current CBA and how it deals with the costs to former players.

We don't know if the shot was self inflicted or a true homicide.

Yeah okay. If you haven't see the texts, sure seems silly to assume they exist.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

R.I.P. Mr. Seau, you will be missed. Hopefully the Chargers retire #55.

...and wouldn't a coward be the person who is too "chicken" to kill himself? Just saying.... But seriously, don't make fun of, or look down upon anyone who commits suicide. It definitely is a terrible thing to do, but most people who go through with it have serious problems. It's not their fault that they have these problems. Would you make look down upon someone who died of cancer? No, you wouldn't. Mental illness is as inevitable as anything, even cancer. I get offended when people make fun of suicide victims, because I have had a few close relatives commit suicide, including my Grandma and Aunt.

To be fair, TMZ breaks news faster and has more credibility when it comes to reporting these types of stories. In fact, I can't recall TMZ ever being wrong.

I used to think they were just tabloids-on-meth, until they were 1st to say that Michael Jackson died. It was, I think, 2 hours before the next news network said he passed away (NBC), then the rest of the networks all said the same. That's when I began to give TMZ some credibility.

They were still wise to wait. NFLN waited even longer and they are based Culver City.

I'm not a Charger fan but I was and always will be fan of Junior Seau. He was one of my favorite players. I always admired him as a player and a person. Wow this is tough.

Watching the footage of his mother broke my heart. Goodbye to #55. You were and always will be one of best ever. It will be very sad to see him go into the hall posthumously and not see him relish in the moment.

Rest In Peace.

With all due respect to those involved, can we extend that directive to all the other folks who seem to want to share their personal experiences with depression and attempting suicide? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or blow off your heartfelt contributions to the thread, but this really isn't the place for such confessions. As someone who has been a member here for seven years, I can assure you that your openness and honesty, however well-intentioned, is going to end up blowing up in your faces. Just some food for thought.

Well I wasn't "confessing" anything nor sharing any stories - just trying to prevent someone from going off the deep end with comments that are sure to offend an awful lot of people and eventually derail the thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived