Junior Seau Dead

Cujo

Rest in Peace Mr. Seau. You were an epitome of how a linebacker should play the sport.

Yes, all linebackers should strive to give themselves debilitating brain damage leading to depression that ends in suicide.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rest in Peace Mr. Seau. You were an epitome of how a linebacker should play the sport.

Yes, all linebackers should strive to give themselves debilitating brain damage leading to depression that ends in suicide.

Hi, Mr. Jumping To Conclusions Without All The Facts

You can't make that statement.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Hi, Mr. Jumping To Conclusions Without All The Facts

You can't make that statement.

Fair enough, it's too early to say that this had anything to do with football-related brain trauma.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You don't understand the first thing about legitimate mental illness, and you should stop posting in this thread before you completely embarrass and discredit yourself. This isn't flaming, this isn't trolling, this is trying to prevent a long time member of the board from going down a very wrong path.

Seriously - you're wrong. Stop.

With all due respect to those involved, can we extend that directive to all the other folks who seem to want to share their personal experiences with depression and attempting suicide? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or blow off your heartfelt contributions to the thread, but this really isn't the place for such confessions. As someone who has been a member here for seven years, I can assure you that your openness and honesty, however well-intentioned, is going to end up blowing up in your faces. Just some food for thought.

Well I wasn't "confessing" anything nor sharing any stories - just trying to prevent someone from going off the deep end with comments that are sure to offend an awful lot of people and eventually derail the thread.

How in the world did you arrive at the conclusion that that was aimed at you? There were a couple other "confessions" besides Gary's. That's who I was talking about. I agreed with you.

BB52Big.jpg

You don't understand the first thing about legitimate mental illness, and you should stop posting in this thread before you completely embarrass and discredit yourself. This isn't flaming, this isn't trolling, this is trying to prevent a long time member of the board from going down a very wrong path.

Seriously - you're wrong. Stop.

With all due respect to those involved, can we extend that directive to all the other folks who seem to want to share their personal experiences with depression and attempting suicide? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or blow off your heartfelt contributions to the thread, but this really isn't the place for such confessions. As someone who has been a member here for seven years, I can assure you that your openness and honesty, however well-intentioned, is going to end up blowing up in your faces. Just some food for thought.

Well I wasn't "confessing" anything nor sharing any stories - just trying to prevent someone from going off the deep end with comments that are sure to offend an awful lot of people and eventually derail the thread.

How in the world did you arrive at the conclusion that that was aimed at you? There were a couple other "confessions" besides Gary's. That's who I was talking about. I agreed with you.

I guess I assume that when I'm quoted, the post is directed at me. No probs.

this kinda reminds me of a real life final destination. it's literally life imitating art. 8 members of that team gone? wow. :blink:

he was player i always liked. and for all intents and purposes was the face of the franchise. When you mentioned san diego chargers, he was the first person i thought of.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

From CNN/SI, Seau's death has officially been ruled a suicide.

Also on CNN/SI, Andy Staples nails it.

omething has to change. Football is too great a sport to continue under this cloud. Every time an ex-player dies too young, football will get blamed. That may not be fair, but it's the truth. Unfortunately, the sport has lost the presumption of innocence.

CCSLC signature.png

This could well be a tipping point; the first death of a player who was in uniform recently enough to be remembered by virtually every fan. Seau isn't some distant figure from blurry VHS footage; anyone who's watched the game for three years had the opportunity to see him play.

Time to get serious about these injuries. Stop pretending that better equipment will somehow magically solve the problem. Take the body armor away, take the helmets off ther heads. Don't let players shuffle their consequences down the road, because we know that road's not as long as we used to think.

I applaud the NFL for considering game changes like eliminating kickoffs, but I fear that pretending we can conjure up a technological solution wil delay finding a real one.

This could well be a tipping point; the first death of a player who was in uniform recently enough to be remembered by virtually every fan. Seau isn't some distant figure from blurry VHS footage; anyone who's watched the game for three years had the opportunity to see him play.

Time to get serious about these injuries. Stop pretending that better equipment will somehow magically solve the problem. Take the body armor away, take the helmets off ther heads. Don't let players shuffle their consequences down the road, because we know that road's not as long as we used to think.

I applaud the NFL for considering game changes like eliminating kickoffs, but I fear that pretending we can conjure up a technological solution wil delay finding a real one.

I'm afraid that may just be the tip of the iceberg. It’s my understanding that Junior Seau was not known to have sustained any concussions during his playing career. If that’s true, then if I were Roger Goodell – or for that matter Gary Bettman, NLL commissioner George Daniel, or any other executive figure in any sort of contact sport – I’d be s#!&ting bricks right about now over the prospect of Boston U studying Seau’s brain (as they have indicated an interest in doing) as they did with Dave Duerson.

If it turns out that a football player with no concussion history still managed to end up with CTE, the only conclusion to be drawn is that said player contracted CTE through the thousands upon thousands of non-concussive collisions he experienced in practices and games throughout his career. And not just direct blows to the head or helmet, either, but pretty much any kind of hit that jostles the brain inside the skull.

In other words, it would mean that even seemingly minor and routine collisions in football have brain damage potential, precisely because they are so commonplace. This would be a cannon shot through the heart of not just the NFL, or even just football, but pretty much all contact sports, because it would mean the only way to remove that brain damage potential would be to take out the contact. Flag football would just be the beginning. Flag hockey, anyone? Or how about flag lacrosse, flag MMA, or even flag soccer?

CCSLC signature.png

Boy, Andy Staples' commentary hit me right in the gut.

I have an 8-year-old grandson who loves football and has done well in organized flag football. He wants be a football star. But I'm also scared for him because of all this.

I realize that things are better now for kids. But, as a grandparent, I'm scared. See, I, too, love football, and want my grandson to do well in every sport he loves. But ... well, you know.

I'm also so sad about the death of Junior Seau. My prayers go out for his families, and I pray that God found a home for him in heaven. I loved watching Seau and loved watching the way he played the game with such gusto. I hope that gusto isn't what eventually led to his death.

If it turns out that a football player with no concussion history still managed to end up with CTE...

That's old news, I'm afraid - Chris Henry.

The sporting world did dodge a bullet with Henry, probably because at the time of his death (1) he was still in his 20s and relatively obscure by NFL standards, and (2) CTE was still under most people's radar as a serious issue in sports.

I doubt that will be the case with such a high-profile player as Seau, if his case indeed turns out the same way.

CCSLC signature.png

You know Winghaz your son can be killed a million ways just walking to school. If he loves playing football you just got to say what the hell. You may as well enjoy your life than to be a scared and protected egg. Because if you put too much fear you end up with some one who is 36 and weighs 450lbs and regrets not having truly lived life.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

^ that post made me mad.gif then it made me :(

But I would say that right now, letting your child play football is like letting him join the military, but less honorable:it leads to horrible despair at best and death at worst. If you don't have a horrible lot in life to escape, why do it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You know Winghaz your son can be killed a million ways just walking to school. If he loves playing football you just got to say what the hell. You may as well enjoy your life than to be a scared and protected egg. Because if you put too much fear you end up with some one who is 36 and weighs 450lbs and regrets not having truly lived life.

Thing is, it's not just parental fear that threatens the future of the sport. It may become prohibitively expensive for high schools having to spend six figures on hundreds of improved helmets and other equipment for all their different squads (varsity, JV, freshman etc.) meaning there soon may not be a team for your kid to play for even if you're inclined to allow it. Insurance costs associated with youth football are bound to go through the roof as well, if they haven't already.

CCSLC signature.png

I'm sorry but how many millions upon millions of kids play football and don't end up with CTE.

I'm not saying we shouldn't care but banning the sport or keeping your kids off the team isn't the right response either.

Football gave me a ton of life lessons that I still use today even though I don't play football now. For one being part of a team and being proud to play a roll instead of being the star (I was an offensive lineman) I think that's something today's youth (and many adults) could use a little but more of...

I'm sorry but how many millions upon millions of kids play football and don't end up with CTE.

And yet, the ones that do end up with CTE are in a world of hurt for the rest of their lives, as are their loved ones. It is perfectly understandable - not to mention perfectly responsible - for parents to conclude that such dire consequences outweigh the long odds against them.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived