MLB Tweaks and "Concepts"

McCall

Anyhoo, I've been working on tweaks to teams' looks that I feel would help them look better or at the very least correct a few mistakes. I'll be posting these as well as eventually whole new concepts that I intend on finishing someday before I die... maybe. Some of these I may have posted in a thread before, maybe with some small changes added, but want to put all of them into one thread rather than scattered all over the place. The first few teams here will be the aformentioned tweaks. Changes that aren't outlandish, but rather stay within the realm of the team's current identity. Some are teams I feel could use a fresh new look, and I may tackle that someday, but right now, just want to make their current one better or a lateral improvement. (I don't set very high standards for myself, yet, I still manage to disappoint). A good example of this is the Rockies, who will be the first posted. I've done a new primary logo here, one that I've posted and gotten good C&C from, but have had trouble coming up with the rest of the identity. I get frustrated and then step away for awhile. I may need to make some changes with it, but in the mean time, I took their current look, and refined it. I ditched all the black and went straight silver and purple. I removed the pinstripes (though I could return them), and made all three jerseys have matching piping. There is only one cap as well. I could go on and explain more, but then posting the pictures would just make it redundant. (that was an unnecessarily long opening to a thread where you look at pictures)

ColoradoRockiesPrimary1.png

ColoradoRockiesAlternateMarks1.png

Btw, I've never really done a multi-team series like this (and I won't be doing every team, just ones I feel need it). Is it better to post the pics in here, or just eventually link to a photobucket album? I ask because I have 3 other teams ready to post and a few more near ready. I don't know if I should just go ahead and post them all now or wait. Linking, I guess, would allow them to all be shown without posting them all at once.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this a lot. Great way to eliminate black from the Rockies identity. Very nice presentation by the way.

Regarding your question, I personally would post the pics individually but space them out. But it's your concept series, so you do what you like best.

spacer.png

Yes. This is as great as you can make the Rockies (personal preference of mine would be to have pinstripes on the home/road, but that's just nitpicking). Maybe one other thing I don't care for is the tan colored road jersey. I'd much rather see a silver-based road color for them.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

That's supposed to be a gray road jersey. Didn't realize it looked THAT different between my monitor and others. Now looking at it on my phone, yikes. I'll try and fix it. I'm sure other team's I post may have the same problem, so if they do, just assume it's supposed to be gray.

That's beautiful. That's definitely how the Rockies should look. The mountains look great as a sleeve patch and the silver "CR" looks fantastic against purple. I'd snag that hat without a second thought. Well done.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That's beautiful. That's definitely how the Rockies should look. The mountains look great as a sleeve patch and the silver "CR" looks fantastic against purple. I'd snag that hat without a second thought. Well done.

I know. The hat is my favorite part of the set. Perfect.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Great job! I love the simplicity of this set.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I love this if for no other reason than my high school colours were purple and silver. This looks great, though I'd love to see it tried with pinstripes.

rATMcmK.png

I may post a pinstriped version of the home uniform later for the Rockies, but moving on.

I did a couple sets for the Twins, one in the red home-font style and one based on the navy road script. Both bring back the pinstripe road uniforms. The Twins seemed to be the only team to properly pull them off. For this one, I created a Minnesota wordmark in the home mark font, and vice versa with the home script based off the road script for the other version. I listed them as A and B, red being A and navy being B. Here ya go.

(Red in this post, navy in next)

MinnesotaTwinsPrimaryA1.png

MinnesotaTwinsAlternateA1.png

MinnesotaTwinsMarksA1.png

MinnesotaTwinsPrimaryB1.png

MinnesotaTwinsAlternateB1.png

MinnesotaTwinsMarksB1.png

Let'er rip.

Both sets of wordmarks are excellently done. I've never seen a "Minnesota" wordmark in the Twins current home font before, but I think it could work. Great job on the uniforms although having two alternates with virutally the same base color seems a little redundant. I get that the scripts are different, but I still think that just one would work on both home and road. As far the uniforms go, the second set is a little boring to me. It's drab, one-dimensional, and dark-on-dark with no "pop" on the scripts. I'd stick with the first set of primary uniforms and maybe make an alternate or two out of the second set of wordmarks. Solid work as always.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The Twins seem to make it their thing to have the home and away alt jerseys of the same color. So what I did was at least take the road one back to their original navy alt, with "Minnesota" in white and the number in red on the front. The home, like the original home one, is reversed.

Now, here's one I've shown before in the Braves 2012 changes thread, but I'm putting it in here with the others. Trying to return them to their proper place in uniform glory, while giving them a little connection to the past.

AtlantaBravesPrimary.png

AtlantaBravesAlternateMarks.png

Yes sir! The blue tomahawk is solid. I always thought the darker tomahawk was much, much better than the (already great) red one. This as you have it here just completes the set. very nice alt, too. That's how a navy Braves jersey should have always looked.

Great stuff all around here in your series, I'm definitely following and loving what I'm seeing. Keep up the great work!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Yes, that's what the Braves should look like. I still just cannot grasp why the Braves haven't had an alternate like yours.

I also have to give you props on the presentation. Every team has their own background so far. Nice touch to your work.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The Twins "A" set is almost perfect... I'd angle the road script up a little bit more to match the home script better. My one other suggestion is to try another color scheme - perhaps Vikings purple and gold?

These are just tweaks to their current set, to show "them" how close they are, yet far away, from having a great, near-perfect look. Complete color changes fall under "concepts" to me, and I will probably be doing some concepts in here eventually, but I'm getting the tweaks out first. Plus, IMO, the only acceptable color alternative for the Twins would be navy and green. I just don't see them in purple and gold.

And yes, after looking at it for a bit right after I posted them, I realized I needed to slant the Minnesota mark up just a bit. I might try to fix that this weekend.

The Twins "A" set is almost perfect... I'd angle the road script up a little bit more to match the home script better. My one other suggestion is to try another color scheme - perhaps Vikings purple and gold?

The Twins set in purple & gold that you did looks good, but those colors don't strike me as very "Minnesotan" (even if the Vikings do wear them). If the goal is to get rid of another red & blue team (which I'm all for), I'd suggest navy, kelly green and maybe silver for trim.

BTW McCall... I love the skylines at the bottom of your template. But for the ones that use actual cities, make sure you make whatever their "signature building" is (i.e. arch for STL, space-needle for seattle, etc.) a prominent feature since that's usually the only thing that distinguishes one city's skyline from the next. Unfortunately, Atlanta doesn't have one, so there's not much you can do there.

The Twins set in purple & gold that you did looks good, but those colors don't strike me as very "Minnesotan" (even if the Vikings do wear them). If the goal is to get rid of another red & blue team (which I'm all for), I'd suggest navy, kelly green and maybe silver for trim.

BTW McCall... I love the skylines at the bottom of your template. But for the ones that use actual cities, make sure you make whatever their "signature building" is (i.e. arch for STL, space-needle for seattle, etc.) a prominent feature since that's usually the only thing that distinguishes one city's skyline from the next. Unfortunately, Atlanta doesn't have one, so there's not much you can do there.

Yeah I just found a silhouette of their skyline online and autotraced it. I then repeated it at different sizes to fill across the bottom. I'm not spending a ton of time on that part, but just wanted to kind of "personalize" each team. Some may end up without one if I can't get it to look right. Don't know yet.

The Braves look great, but the alternate needs a red tomahawk. It blends in too much with the jersey. The Twins are amazing both ways you did them. I'm really looking forward for your teams to come.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived