Created by a 2 1/2 year old, Illustrated by her 33 year old Dad.

Funkatron101

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's been a little while. The Facebook page has been updated lately with more conversations/quotes from her than with characters, so I didn't feel the need to post those here.

I have a small update. Certainly not a complicated work of art, as I mainly grabbed and modified the badge from a free vector file, but I am contemplating turning this into a t-shirt.

283704_426033004102339_724926939_n.jpg

It's based on a funny thing that Lauren did at a recent parade that unintentionally came across as a protest. ^_^

You can see the pic and read the little story here.

Yeah, I think Smarshmellow Pete and Pepe Eño are the two favorites so far.

I have been stuck on one character for weeks. She is a bird transformer (I am a big fan of transformers, and it has rubbed off a little on Lauren). I just can't seem to get the lower legs right. They are meant to turn into the wings in bird mode, but I screw up the angle every time.

This is what I have so far.

shrahka.jpg

I should have just stuck with what she originally said. "She is a robot that turns into a transformer!" :lol:

220px-Polemount-singlephase-closeup.jpg

I can draw that!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think Smarshmellow Pete and Pepe Eño are the two favorites so far.

I have been stuck on one character for weeks. She is a bird transformer (I am a big fan of transformers, and it has rubbed off a little on Lauren). I just can't seem to get the lower legs right. They are meant to turn into the wings in bird mode, but I screw up the angle every time.

This is what I have so far.

shrahka.jpg

I should have just stuck with what she originally said. "She is a robot that turns into a transformer!" :lol:

220px-Polemount-singlephase-closeup.jpg

I can draw that!

I have no artistic talent, but I think the key to a Transformer is that they don't have smooth, uniform bodies like say C3PO. They kinda look like walking junkyards; you can sorta see how everything comes together. Don't try too hard to hide that the wings are the legs, and the bird head doesn't have to tuck down perfectly into the chest. Hope this helps.

Love your stuff!

I have no artistic talent, but I think the key to a Transformer is that they don't have smooth, uniform bodies like say C3PO. They kinda look like walking junkyards; you can sorta see how everything comes together. Don't try too hard to hide that the wings are the legs, and the bird head doesn't have to tuck down perfectly into the chest. Hope this helps.

Love your stuff!

Thanks for the advice and the kudos. I am actually an avid Transformers collector for the past 20 years or so. The sleekness is partially by design for a few reasons. 1. I'm trying to match the Generation 1 cartoon aesthetic, which was more sleek, if not technically inaccurate. (especially with the few female transformers they had. Arcee and Elita-1) 2. I wanted to make it a little more feminine as Lauren was very vocal in making it a girl transformer. I have a feeling that she will reject it if it is too "clunky." I had the bird head stick out more, but it looked too much like huge boobs. I guess I really didn't want a transformer based on my 3 year old daughter's ideas to be portrayed like that.

But the leg/wing thing is spot on. I don't want to hide those too much, but I want to try to fold them in the "correct" way. Most bird transformers just slap the wings onto the back, I wanted to try something else.

With that said, there is some wiggle room to bump out some parts, to make it match the Transformers style a little more.

A friend of mine reminded me of this figure. I think I could take some cues from that.

Energon_Divebomb_toy.jpg

Good catch on the bird head/giant boobs! That would have been... awkward.

That pic is a very interesting way to work in the wings/legs. I love that they never run out of new ways to turn robots into cars/animals/tape players/etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread bump. Life happened (sold my house and moved to a new city, new baby on the way) which caused me to slack off on this project despite my daughter still creating characters. She is now 4 years old, and still goofy. He is a teaser logo for an upcoming character.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610726275633010&set=a.391057587599881.88406.391052284267078&type=1

princess-octo_zps27f6a3cb.png

Archived