2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

More random Olympic news and highlights (alas, the videos don't seem to be embeddable):

1) Now this was one Fecked-up dive.

2) Because tanking is so last week, now we have admissions of more run-of-the-mill shenanigans during competition:

LONDON – Men’s 100m breaststroke winner Cameron van der Burgh has admitted to cheating during his victory at the Olympics, which came in world-record time.

In breaststroke, competitors are allowed to take one dolphin kick at the start and one after each turn before starting their breaststroke kick. But with no underwater video judging, swimmers are sometimes able to sneak in an extra dolphin kick – a whip-like motion generated from the hips.

Video replays appear to show van der Burgh taking three of them.

Apparently FINA is not inclined to revoke either van der Burgh's record nor his competition result. The jury's still out on the IOC taking away his gold medal, though this doesn't seem likely either.

3) Surprise, surprise... Misty and Kerri are back in the gold-medal match. In fact it will be an all-American final against Kessy and Ross.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Van der Burgh, who is from South Africa, spoke to the Sydney Morning Herald and admitted to breaking the rules. He also said other swimmers employ the same tactic.

?If you?re not doing it, you?re falling behind,? Van der Burgh told the paper. ?It?s not obviously - shall we say - the moral thing to do, but I?m not willing to sacrifice my personal performance and four years of hard work for someone that is willing to do it and get away with it.?

It may be illegal, but is it really cheating if everyone's doing it?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The six-seconds call was ridiculous, but people can stop screaming "OMG USA BIAS" when this went uncarded when it should've been a straight red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmncqLmy66o

The ref was bad on both sides. It happens. Lord knows the USMNT has experienced this time & time again.

This from another angle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGYTHK3E30

tigercatssignature-1.png

The Canadian goalie was warned several times for time-wasting. She pushed the envelope, got caught, and she cost her team.

The End.

...except for the fact that she wasn't warned....

Also. I've always had an issue with FIFA rarely ever admitting when they were wrong, especially about shoddy officiating. Now could be some suspensions handed to Canadian coaches and players that complained. Link

Nothing wrong with that. You get cautioned for dissenting on the field so there should be consequences if you run your mouth off the field after the game - in addition to before, like the Canadian coach did. He really should have just kept his mouth shut. Illegal tactics? Tell your players to stop hitting like they're playing hockey and then we can talk about illegal tactics.

This as well.

U.S. forward Abby Wambach revealed Tuesday that she subtly lobbied for the call by counting out loud when McLeod had the ball.

So bringing a rule violation by the goalie to the ref's attention is a crime now?

It's a classless act, it shows that Wambach has no honour. Perhaps she was too afraid to decide it with ability and skill...

tigercatssignature-1.png

The Canadian goalie was warned several times for time-wasting. She pushed the envelope, got caught, and she cost her team.

The End.

...except for the fact that she wasn't warned....

Also. I've always had an issue with FIFA rarely ever admitting when they were wrong, especially about shoddy officiating. Now could be some suspensions handed to Canadian coaches and players that complained. Link

Nothing wrong with that. You get cautioned for dissenting on the field so there should be consequences if you run your mouth off the field after the game - in addition to before, like the Canadian coach did. He really should have just kept his mouth shut. Illegal tactics? Tell your players to stop hitting like they're playing hockey and then we can talk about illegal tactics.

This as well.

U.S. forward Abby Wambach revealed Tuesday that she subtly lobbied for the call by counting out loud when McLeod had the ball.

So bringing a rule violation by the goalie to the ref's attention is a crime now?

It's a classless act, it shows that Wambach has no honour. Perhaps she was too afraid to decide it with ability and skill...

So you have a problem with anyone from any club anywhere in the world lobbying a referee for a card? Thats what this amounts to.

Edited for clarity.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

More random Olympic news and highlights (alas, the videos don't seem to be embeddable):

2) Because tanking is so last week, now we have admissions of more run-of-the-mill shenanigans during competition:

LONDON ? Men?s 100m breaststroke winner Cameron van der Burgh has admitted to cheating during his victory at the Olympics, which came in world-record time.

In breaststroke, competitors are allowed to take one dolphin kick at the start and one after each turn before starting their breaststroke kick. But with no underwater video judging, swimmers are sometimes able to sneak in an extra dolphin kick ? a whip-like motion generated from the hips.

Apparently FINA is not inclined to revoke either van der Burgh's record nor his competition result. The jury's still out on the IOC taking away his gold medal, though this doesn't seem likely either.

3) Surprise, surprise... Misty and Kerri are back in the gold-medal match. In fact it will be an all-American final against Kessy and Ross.

I did notice during one of the swimming events that there was a window underneath the starter's stands, where a judge could look up at the swimmers....

LONDON ? Men's 100m breaststroke winner Cameron van der Burgh has admitted to cheating during his victory at the Olympics, which came in world-record time.

In breaststroke, competitors are allowed to take one dolphin kick at the start and one after each turn before starting their breaststroke kick. But with no underwater video judging, swimmers are sometimes able to sneak in an extra dolphin kick ? a whip-like motion generated from the hips.

I did notice during one of the swimming events that there was a window underneath the starter's stands, where a judge could look up at the swimmers....

Of the four strokes in swimming this is by far the hardest to judge in terms of what's legal and what's not.

The standing rule is under water video is not allowed to be used for judging, but after this wouldn't be shocked if it was the last Olympics where that's the case.

In terms of the result I think it should stand, because if at least half the field is doing it and had been to qualify, then you have to let it go. Can't punish athletes for judges making potentially widespread errors regarding a rule.

These American gymnasts are hotties! :flagusa:

They're also all 16 years old. I'm one of the younger ones here and they're still too young...

Well, Aly Raisman is 18.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

They're also all 16 years old. I'm one of the younger ones here and they're still too young...

Well, Aly Raisman is 18.

I'm 16.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with individual states' age of consent laws.

Well, Aly Raisman is 18.

A lot of states' Age of Consent is actually younger. Have fun! ;)

/Aly Raisman's the only one that's actually attractive... Maroney just looks like a bitch who's gonna kill someone and Wieber's completely overrated.

6fQjS3M.png

The 08 team was much nicer to look at IMO

This.

IMO Liukin, Sacramone & Shawn Johnson were all better looking than any of the current team.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived